Help. how do I recover from bad BIOS download

G

I have a NEC Mitsuba Premier PC. I recently bought a Maxtor 20gig hard dr. from Compusa and had them install it. They tried but said the BIOS would not allow it. So I told them to add a Maxtor Ultra 100 ATA controller. This also didn't work. So I researched the Enet and found out my mother board is a GVC FR520. I found a BIOS update that said it would allow up to 35gig. After downloading my PC will not boot up. How, or can I recover? HELP!!

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
bring it in for repair, the bios is done.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try clearing the CMOS. Disconnect the power cord. If there is a jumper for clearing the CMOS use it. If not then remove/disconnect the CMOS battery for 30 seconds. Replace/reconnect the battery and reconnect the power cord. Try to boot your system. You will have to reset the BIOS settings. I can't remember how to get into the BIOS on every OEM system but try DEL key, ALT + F1, ALT + F3, ALT + F10, ESC key. Keep hitting one of the key combinations when you start to see the memory test. If none of these work just hold down the space key until you get a keyboard error during booting. You should then see instuctions on how to get into the BIOS setup.

Actually, you might want to try those last steps before clearing the CMOS.

Good Luck!

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
My friend Fried his Bios Chip...He downloaded a new bios and messed the system up He just ordered one off Ebay for like
25$...Installed it, and Loaded the working Bios

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I killed my BIOS twice on my Abit mobo. (I think I had a corrupt flash program). Abit replaced the chip each time for $12 USD including shipping.

Now if I had that problem with my old FIC 503+ mobo I would have been SOL. The BIOS ROM is soldered.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

G

My monitor doesn't even come up. I can't access BIOS settings. So will clearing the CMOS work?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Clear CMOS does not require any video display. The "attempt" to clear CMOS will definitely work.

OTOH, whether or not clear CMOS will fix your problem is a crap shoot. Worth a shot, though.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>