MSN Messenger / Windows Messenger

Any advice would be appreciated.

Whats the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger. Are they
different and are there any advantages one versus the other.

Thanks
--
Tony S

Tony S wrote:

> Whats the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger.
> Are they different and are there any advantages one versus the other.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5e921409-d143-
45ca-9a1c-7636a7cbca9e&displaylang=en>

Long link - might break in your Newsreader. Copy and paste if you wish.

But that should tell you what you want to know.

--
Segovia - 26/05/2005 7:22:09 AM

Greetings Tony,

There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 7 has support for
display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET
Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind,
Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain
full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert