Sign in with
Your question

WerFault.exe

Last response: in Windows 7
August 9, 2010 9:48:28 AM

Hey!

Recently got an spyware, "the downloader type" I noticed that my AV (AVG Antivirus) had resident shield off aswell :ange:  , had like 20x suspicious processes in task manager so I unpluged the ethernet cable and ran scans with Spyware Doctor/AVG, I also made sure that there where no startup entries with downloaders/etc using msconfig/regedit.

However, while booting it all seemed fine except that WerFault.exe kept showing up while launching applications such as "Google Chrome":

WerFault.exe-Application Error The application failed to initialize properly..

And the application closes

So my question is, what can cause this problem? And how can i solve it? I'm pretty sure that the computer is spyware free since no suspicous processes is running at start nor while connecting to the internet.

NOTE

The computer doesen't have any system restore point, so that aint an option.

More about : werfault exe

a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
August 9, 2010 2:51:00 PM

1. Open control panel.
2. Select "System & Maintenance"
3. Select "Administrative Tools"
4. Select "Services"
5. Right-Click "Windows Error Reporting Service"
6. Select "Properties"
7. In the "Service Status" Section Click [Stop]
8. Set "Startup type:" to "Manual" or if this is started by another
application select "Disabled"
9. Save and close the dialog boxes.

If that fails, try installing app over the existing installation to fix corrupt files, while retaining settings.
m
l
August 9, 2010 3:14:36 PM

Tryed that, some programs worked but ironically WerFault.exe still appeared on 1-4 programs with the same warning during start up, how is that possible since it is disabled?

Not sure if application reinstall would help, since it appears to generaate errors randomly, it started after a spyware attack.
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2010 3:39:11 PM

Update:

Disabled WerFault.exe still programs seem to crash: unknown software exception

It only occurs on random exe files, even those who are verified to be genuine and not injected with any spyware etc, what can be the problem?
I tried apps like:

Steam
Google chrome
Msn
Spotify
etc
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
August 9, 2010 4:37:04 PM

Phorze said:
Update:

Disabled WerFault.exe still programs seem to crash: unknown software exception

It only occurs on random exe files, even those who are verified to be genuine and not injected with any spyware etc, what can be the problem?
I tried apps like:

Steam
Google chrome
Msn
Spotify
etc

Have you tried it on anything that doesn't require Internet access?

m
l
August 20, 2010 3:12:12 AM

werfault.exe is a safe process and is not known to be associated with any malware. However, it is important to keep in mind that malware programs often give their processes similar names as legitimate processes.

If you find a slightly misspelled werfault.exe process running on your computer, run a malware scan using advanced antimalware programs to ensure that only legitimate processes are running on your computer. If malware is found on your system, immediately remove them. Further, run a registry scan using reliable registry cleaning software, such as RegGenie to remove any malicious entry that the malware may have injected into the Windows registry.
m
l
!