jw

How do you uninstall messenger and also remove it from Internet Explorer.
When \unistalling form control panel, windows addins it leaves it in IE.

Thanks
JW

Hi, Jw:
I thing i might have the solution to completely remove messenger from
the system, and whenever you wanna run it again u can just install
back.
Just see the instructions given bellow:

Remove Messenger from XP
Start/Run/RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
%windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
Disable Messenger
Start/Run/gpedit.msc/Admistrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows
Messenger. Alter your settings in the right pane. (For Pro)
Stop Windows Messenger from Auto-Starting

Simply delete the following Registry Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSMSGS

Uninstall Messenger
You have to edit sysoc.inf (located in /WINDOWS/inf). Under
[Components] you should see the following line:
msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7. Take the word 'hide' out
of the line, and it should look like this:
msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7. Exit and save.

Go to Add or Remove Programs, and click on Add/Remove Windows
Components. There you should now be able to uncheck the MSN Messenger
Service, and by clicking Next it will uninstall.

--
Hacos

Greetings JW,

To fully remove Windows Messenger, you can just remove Windows Messenger again by closing
down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger icon in the notification
area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button, then click Run and type in
(copy-paste if you like):
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Then click OK.
Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert