asus p2b bios update error

tommywmson

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Thanks to some great advice from this forum, I have upgraded my Asus P2B v1.02 to a Celeron 950Mhz. But there is a error message that I have a question about.
When booting I get this message:
"<BIOS> Bios Update data incorrect CPU id (0000068A) update not loaded"

I have bios version 1012.
I'm using the Iwill SlocketII as the adpater.
In the bios setup, it reports a 950Mhz cpu.

Using SiSoft Sandra, it also reports 950mhz processor and the benchmarks look to be in line with the processor.
Funny thing in the Sandra CPU info, it shows a cpu rated speed of 634Mhz.

The CPU was clearly marked as 950mhz/ 100mhz bus.

Should I just ignore the message?

Thanks

Tommy

Like crash says . This should not be a problem. It is just that your bios does not recognise the newer stepping code of 68a chips.

On the asus ftp site bios 1013 beta007 is available. But it does not give what updates are in it. So I can not say that it will fix your problem or not.

I've been running this on the wifes comp about 6 months now with no problesm. If you can't find it email me or private message me and I will email it to you.

I aint signing nothing!!!

tommywmson

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
The bus speed is set to 100Mhz using jumpers.
The cpu multiplier is set at 4.5x, but it only goes up to 8.0x. I had read in other posts that this was ignored with the newer chips. Seems to be running at 9.5x 100mhz = 950
There is not a "jumperless" mode on this board, so what should I set the cpu multiplier to?

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
actually, I had my multiplier at 10.5 and it should have been at 11 to allow me to show 1700+ for my AMD other than the 1500 it WAS showing.

Took us a while to find out what the problem was but once I got that right it practically screams from what it used to do...
Gonna wait on Ocing it to let it run at spec for a while first :>

Id find out what your multiplier is SUPPOSED to be set at and start there first, and then go to do the other things and see what happens. Check out the sites for your hardware and there should be something to get you going with that as a first step.

Though like the guys said, if its running stable, and you dont necessarily have a NEED to update your bios, then it really wouldnt be all that necessary...

To Be or Not to be... DAMN but that is confusing!