G

I want to change from an AMD Based system to an Intel P4 based system. I do not to format by hard drive if at all possible. Is there a way around the problem of the new motherboard chipset.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
just pop the drive onto the new system and let it reboot about 10 or 20 times while it finds all the new stuff. Chances are it will work.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

OK this will work sometimes.

Open device manager and delete everything listed. Delete the mouse last or you will have a rough time of it. That is unless you know all the keyboard commands and are good at it.

Now reboot . Do not reboot every time it asks you to. Just click no and keep deleting. When everything is gone then you reboot. After you reboot for the umpteenth time for windows to finish detecting hardware reinstall windows while in windows. Do not reinstall from a boot disk or safe mode or a dos prompt. You must reinstall while in windows or you will lose all of your program registry entries.

Some times this will work and sometimes it dosen't. A format and reinstall is best.

I aint signing nothing!!!

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
When a board has different chipsets its best to format/reinstall. In fact it never hurts to reinstall windows itll run better =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Good Luck...I tried to do same and was told of virus issues within the harddrive...heh. Sooooo....I just formated that sucker so I could do it again when my additional harddrive arrived for a Raid array setup a week later. Iam getting good at this.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you better backup your data to D drive and format/reinstall the OS!

you might be through with the existing installation, where it will boot for anything between 3 to 20 times, may leave conflicting drivers and slow down the machine overall besides making it a bit unstable.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>