Automatic System restart

screenburn

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I have a Shuttle Ak31a motherboard with the kt226a chipset with an athlon xp 1800 processor and an Ati all-in-wonder radeon graphics card (AGP). my delema is that my system wants to restart its self at the drop of a hat. i have checked for possible voltage drops on my motherboard and also for software and bios issues. i am completely stumped has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution i am currently running in 4x agp mode.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Possible causes:

Bad RAM (or too aggressive settings in BIOS)
Bad power supply

Those are the most common hardware reasons for random reboots.

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
My computer did random restarts from April of last year through January of this year...

I finally got a new stick of ram and put it in and Voila! All problems gone... I was then able to go back to the place I bought the machine and have them swap the bad stick for me (and I could have returned the 'test' stick to Future Shop which has a 30 day return policy) I probably could have just gone to the place I bought the machine and had them swap the RAM in the first place, but initially they said something like, "Leave the computer with us for a week and we'll sort it out." I didn't want to be without my computer for a week, so I put up with the crashing for almost a year and then tried the RAM fix without involving them. At least when I did finally take it in to be fixed I could tell them Exactly what was wrong so it took just 10 minutes at the store.

.... I guess you now know what my advice is... :)

Good luck!

PS - I obviously have assumed that you aren't overclocking your current RAM. If you are, first try it at normal settings as not all RAM will overclock and be stable.

:cool: <font color=purple><b>You have just proven that signature advertising works!</b></font color=purple> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tiberius13 on 03/20/02 10:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>