Messenger V MSN Messenger

what is the difference between windows messenger and MSN Messanger besided
the annoying ads abd tab?? and how can I get rid of the tab or modify them
to my requirements and the search area and this the ads ?????
3 answers Last reply
More about messenger messenger

    Greetings Marcel,

    There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 7 has support for
    display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
    supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
    to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET
    Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind,
    Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain
    full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

    MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).

    You can't modify the tabs, remove the ads, etc. without third-party software (search
    www.mess.be if you "must" remove these). You can remove the tabs however by clicking the
    Tools menu, then Options, then Security category, choose "This is a shared computer so don't
    show my tabs".
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Marcel" <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > what is the difference between windows messenger and MSN Messanger besided
    > the annoying ads abd tab?? and how can I get rid of the tab or modify them
    > to my requirements and the search area and this the ads ?????

    Thanks Jonathan I als ounderstand that Windows Messenger is targeted at
    business and MSN Messenger istargeted at retail/commercial

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Marcel,
    >
    > There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 7 has support for
    > display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
    > supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
    > to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET
    > Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind,
    > Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain
    > full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).
    >
    > MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    > etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    > Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    >
    > You can't modify the tabs, remove the ads, etc. without third-party software (search
    > www.mess.be if you "must" remove these). You can remove the tabs however by clicking the
    > Tools menu, then Options, then Security category, choose "This is a shared computer so don't
    > show my tabs".
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Marcel" <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > what is the difference between windows messenger and MSN Messanger besided
    > > the annoying ads abd tab?? and how can I get rid of the tab or modify them
    > > to my requirements and the search area and this the ads ?????

    Also what is the difference between Netmeeting and Messenger. they seem to
    do the same things in the same ways "to some extent". do they use the same
    core services ie messaging, white board, application shareing, remote
    assistance etc?

    I know that you can use the activeX components of Netmeeting to develop your
    own customised applications. Can you use the core components of messanger in
    the same way? or are they the same components as Netmeeting??

    Marcel

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Marcel,
    >
    > There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 7 has support for
    > display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
    > supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
    > to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET
    > Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind,
    > Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain
    > full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).
    >
    > MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    > etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    > Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    >
    > You can't modify the tabs, remove the ads, etc. without third-party software (search
    > www.mess.be if you "must" remove these). You can remove the tabs however by clicking the
    > Tools menu, then Options, then Security category, choose "This is a shared computer so don't
    > show my tabs".
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Marcel" <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > what is the difference between windows messenger and MSN Messanger besided
    > > the annoying ads abd tab?? and how can I get rid of the tab or modify them
    > > to my requirements and the search area and this the ads ?????

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP