OGMarcel

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2002

what is the difference between windows messenger and MSN Messanger besided
the annoying ads abd tab?? and how can I get rid of the tab or modify them
to my requirements and the search area and this the ads ?????

Greetings Marcel,

There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 7 has support for
display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET
Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind,
Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain
full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).

You can't modify the tabs, remove the ads, etc. without third-party software (search
www.mess.be if you "must" remove these). You can remove the tabs however by clicking the
Tools menu, then Options, then Security category, choose "This is a shared computer so don't
show my tabs".
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Marcel" <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what is the difference between windows messenger and MSN Messanger besided
> the annoying ads abd tab?? and how can I get rid of the tab or modify them
> to my requirements and the search area and this the ads ?????

OGMarcel

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2002

Thanks Jonathan I als ounderstand that Windows Messenger is targeted at
business and MSN Messenger istargeted at retail/commercial

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Marcel,
>
> There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 7 has support for
> display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
> supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
> to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET
> Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind,
> Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain
> full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).
>
> MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
> etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
> Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
>
> You can't modify the tabs, remove the ads, etc. without third-party software (search
> www.mess.be if you "must" remove these). You can remove the tabs however by clicking the
> Tools menu, then Options, then Security category, choose "This is a shared computer so don't
> show my tabs".
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Marcel" <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > what is the difference between windows messenger and MSN Messanger besided
> > the annoying ads abd tab?? and how can I get rid of the tab or modify them
> > to my requirements and the search area and this the ads ?????

OGMarcel

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2002

Also what is the difference between Netmeeting and Messenger. they seem to
do the same things in the same ways "to some extent". do they use the same
core services ie messaging, white board, application shareing, remote
assistance etc?

I know that you can use the activeX components of Netmeeting to develop your
own customised applications. Can you use the core components of messanger in
the same way? or are they the same components as Netmeeting??

Marcel