HIGH CPU Temperature

G

Hi there,

I am having a problem (and it's the MB, I'm sure).

I have an Athlon/1333 on a MSI-6330 K7T Turbo Motherboard.

I am using MotherBoard Monitor. The settings for the temperature sensors are as following:

Sensor 1 (VIA686B-1): Case Temperature (check for the thermistor near the BIOS socket);
Sensor 2 (VIA686B-2): CPU Temp (Thermistor located inside the CPU slot, right under the CPU);
Sensor 3 (VIA686B-3): MB Temperature (Thermistor located somewhere around the MB Processor heatsink, I didn't find it though:));

Now there's a problem with my MB 'cause the sensors show these temperatures:

Sensor 1: 24 Celsius
Sensor 2: 73 Celsius when IDLE (!!!) - this equals 153-165 Fahrenheit which is DAMN HIGH!
Sensor 3: 29 Celsius

Now I'm pretty unsure whether the core voltage is right (Core 1 Sensor: 0.29 V)

My CPU Fan Sensor is stuck at 5578 RPM.

I am pretty worried about the temperature of my CPU because when I use my CPU at 100% the temp rises up to 81 Celsius which is giving me the creeps. Now I think the thermistor is reading a wrong value but I have to make sure. I cannot access MSI main site, there are some threads there (found them using Google). If anyone can access them please forward them to me.

MSI Threads addresses are:

http://cweb.msi.com.tw/eforum/?target=article&tid=4782

http://cweb.msi.com.tw/eforum/?target=article&tid=4766

I have checked the processor on another MB (MSI K7T Turbo2) with the same cooler and heatsink and it shows only 44 Celsius. My BIOS is updated with MSI Bios released on 2001/12/19 so there shouldn't be any problems. the only thing I wish to know is whether the temperature is correct or not. I have bought a GIANT heatsing with a LARGE cooler but it's very heavy (0.900 Kg) and it may break the CPU socket so I didn't install it.

I am really in the need of an answer please reply...

I wish my brain was an Athlon XP

G

...I forgot to say that I lowered the voltage (+1.80V) to 1.75 V and the temperature dropped by 5 degrees Celsius, but still very high. Lowering the voltage again should dramatically affect performance. I still think it's the MB, but, I don't know for sure...

I wish my brain was an Athlon XP

SuprSi

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
I'm having an almost identical problem. I've got an aluminium case with loads of fans, and when idle the CPU temp gets to around 70 Celcius, then peaks at just over 90 when I'm hard at it. I've tried 3 different fans/heatsinks but none have made any impact. If I leave the motherboard outside the case it seems to run much cooler (I've tried two different cases) but what good is that to me?

I had tested every part of the system except for the memory, CPU, and motherboard. The CPU is fine in another computer, the memory shouldn't be an issue, and my motherboard is back with the vendor being looked at. I'm half expecting them to turn around and tell me that there's nothing wrong with it but it's the only part left that I haven't replaced!!! Hopefully they'll see the problem and replace it.

Anyway, I should know within the next week or so if it is the motherboard.

Si.

G

Yes, the CPU is located right next to the case power source which gets hot but not so much (a thermistor I've put rght inside it shows only 41 degrees). I said I've tested my CPU on another mobo just in the same case but the temp was of only 44 degrees whish is pretty low compared to the hell-like temp in my case!

All I wish to know is whether the mobo CPU thermistor is damaged (and I HOPE it is :p).

I wish my brain were an Athlon XP

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Bottom line... if your system is running stable... it's fine! It is NOT too hot if it's running stable.

It sounds like your motherboard is just whacky... maybe try upgrading the BIOS or something...

If it is running fine though... I seriously doubt those temps are real

:cool: <font color=purple><b>You have just proven that signature advertising works!</b></font color=purple> :cool: