pc is unstable after msn messenger upgraded

i have always allowed messenger to update when it suggests, but i wish i
hadnt last week.
i now have 7.0.0813 and as ever when i boot up it autostarts and connects to
the web (broadband always on connection).

however now when i click on the hotmail envelope the pc seems to do nothing,
and a minute later a "service unavailable" warning appears. messenger then
closes and logs back in after a 60second count down.

many times the "window pane" that is msn messenger shows the browser
contents that had been "on top" rather than the contact list, and the pc runs
slowly requiring a reboot.

also other programs appear to have become unstable, eg msn money & hotmail
attachment download have all crashed this week, and i have never seen that
before.

how do i go back to a previous version, and where can i get it?

this is the second time microsoft updates have screwed up my pc in a month.

amd3200+, 2x512mb ram, clean install of windows xp home done 4 weeks ago
after a forced nvidia patch by windows auto update stopped the sound working
on the pc (no longer does the front speaker sound come out of the s-bracket
jack for front speakers, while rear still comes from the s-bracket jack)...
ms antispyware and mcafee vs8 all running and upto date.

just to add some more of the problem.

at no clearly specific time (ie i dont remember doing anything to cause it)
the pc starts slowing down,
windows task manager shows msmsgs.exe as getting 99% of the systems
resource, yet i am not talking to anyone, transferring files or anything with
them.

since this new version came out msn messenger has been a bitch