I need some edumacation on T'breds.

RDBRUSKI

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
So what the story with Thouroughbreds? Are they a whole new technology, or can I buy a mobo now that will run them? Are they just a short stop-gap between Palamino and Hammer or what?

I've read some advice that seemed to indicate that the KT333 chipset will be good/compatible with the T'breds. Aren't there many mobo's out with KT333 already?

I'm trying to find the relationship between the mobo's, chipsets and CPU's coming out.

Thanks for your time in advance :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by RDBRUSKI on 03/20/02 04:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
the hammer line cpu will use different socket, so you can't just buy any mobo with socket 462. hammer is going to be the 8th generation cpu. its not all new technology, but some of it is.

there is still much time for AMD to make changes, so they might do things differently from what they have right now. i wouldn't be surprised if they use a 400Mhz FSB on them along with other changes.

<b> <font color=orange> Forum police </font color=orange> </b>
<font color=blue> Here to preserve respect and friendship </font color=blue>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
what socket will the Hammer BE.... Im deffinetly getting the Thoroughbred..cause the hammer won't be out in JUNE...but about 8 months after june i will build another system.....i would rather have the hammer, but i can't wait that long...I need a new PC badly

How would life be if there were no Computer's? That would Suck!!

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
claw hammer= 740 pin
sledge hammer=904 pin i think

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thoroughbred is not a new core over Palomino, but is a improved version of the core manufactured with a new 0.13u technology. And its not a stop-gap chip before hammer, Hammer is a totally new architechture catering to niche markets (as of now), its a 64 bit processor, while the Tbed is a 32 bit processor. Besides, there at least is one more to follow after Tberd, the Barton which wil be fabricated by 0.13 SOI technology which will get us still faster x86 32 bit processors, perhaps in the range of ~4 GHz or so!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
So, what socket will the Thoroughbred use, and what exactly is it?

You guys all of a sudden started talking about the hammer, when the question was about the T-Bred.

-<font color=green><i>Tis not a <b>man</b>, this a <b>monster</b>!</i></font color=green>

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Tbred in theory should work on most current boards. It will use the same socket cuz it is basically the same chip, just with improvments and made using .13 tech instead of .18 allowing to go faster while using less power and making less heat!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I also think the same, with the hammers closing in fast, the Barton would be somewhat redundant by the time its released. And AMD cannot afford to push the hammers further, since 64 bit market is already waiting eagerly for it.

I think the key factor for the barton to exist is the cost! I am sure barton if it comes, will cost nearly the same levels of the Palominos and Tbreds. Hammers, since they are a totaly new technology and AMD has invested quite a lot into them, they would cost a bit more. Itanium costs more than 2 grands a chip, I am sure the hammers with be at least one grand to start with!!

The best thing about the hammers is that people wont need to upgrade any of their software in a hurry, they will have the Hammer 64-bit capability in their closet, until the OS and apps are re-incarnated in 64 bit!

The market acceptance and the cost (hammers will cost at least 10x than the current Athlon lines - my theory) may affect the existance of Barton.

girish

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
hm... i think the claw hammer will cost about $800 usd. i'm not sure about sledge.

G

And what are your bets concerning Barton running on current KT333 Mainboards ?

I Plan to buy one soon, but i want to be sure that it will be upgradable

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It will use the same socket cuz it is basically the same chip, just with improvments and made using .13 tech instead of .18 allowing to go faster while using less power and making less heat!
so far all anyone knows about Tbred is that its on .13 spec. Besides the die shrink there are no improvements, no faster front side bus, and no extra cache. I guess Using less power and producing less heat is an improvement, but that simply comes from the die shrink, same as any CPU going to a smaller process (IE Northwood and the new via processors)
And what are your bets concerning Barton running on current KT333 Mainboards ?
IF Barton is released it should still be socket 462, its simply a change to Silicon on Insulator manufacturing. If your curious about SOI anandtech has an interesting article on basically the same thing only from intel and its call BBUL <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1542" target="_new">read about it here</A>

If my response is brief and vague its because the info you provided is too!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thats close to 1000! ;-)

but what about the boards? if they cost about the same, it wont do. the total platform cost is the main concern, not just individual components.

even if the hammers do arrive thick and fast, people are in no hurry to spend that kind of money on something they might not really use for years!

For AMD to do some Intel-like things, they might drop the Barton altogether and force hammers down people's throats who dont even need a fraction of that power!

as for cost of the sledge, how about the proportion P-III and P-III Xeon cost? Maybe of similar order!

girish

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
If MS or the gaming industry decides it wants to promote 64bit apps for AMD processors, then it's in their best interests to market all the new apps/games to the masses. They will bombard people with all new ads claiming that these are the most life-like graphics and they can't be productive without the latest and greatest OS and Office combo running on a Hammer/Yamill? If they start telling people that this what you need, then people will start migrating to the new systems. Everyone is always thinking that there is no need for all this processing power and what always happens...someone manages to push the envelope with a new game everyone has to have or a new "killer" app or a "new" more stable and gadget filled OS.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
What exactly is the technical difference between the Thouroughbred's .13 process and the (possibly in jeporday) Barton's .13 SOI? It sounds just like the Thouroughbred and Barton will be the end for the K7. Is AMD actually planning a 4Ghz Athlon XP? That would be like astronomical PR...somewhere around PR 5900+? I wouldn't mine owning an AthlonXP 5000+ AND an AMD Clawhammer PR3400+ :)

"When there's a will, there's a way."