Getting the runaround! Verizon owes me multiple upgrade cr..

Last response: in Network Providers
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 12:40:11 AM

I've had verizon wireless for over 4 years and have had the same phone all
that time (a startac).

I want to upgrade but verizon is giving me the runaround. I went to the
corporate store and they didn't even want to talk about it. They pretended
not to know anything about upgrading then would run to help another
customer. One of them told me I lost them because I had not used them in
time.

I just renewed my contract again for the 3rd or maybe 4th time and want to
combine all my upgrades to get a good new phone. I have been a good customer
for Verizon spending an average of $80 a month the past few years.

Does anyone have a good contact person to call? I don't want to mess around
with those useless cust serv reps I usualy get when I call.

any input would be appreciated.

Thankyou in advance.

Breezy
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 12:40:12 AM

"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote
> I've had verizon wireless for over 4 years and have had the same phone all
> that time (a startac).
>
> I want to upgrade but verizon is giving me the runaround. I went to the
> corporate store and they didn't even want to talk about it. They pretended
> not to know anything about upgrading then would run to help another
> customer. One of them told me I lost them because I had not used them in
> time.
>
> I just renewed my contract again for the 3rd or maybe 4th time and want to
> combine all my upgrades to get a good new phone. I have been a good
customer
> for Verizon spending an average of $80 a month the past few years.
>
> Does anyone have a good contact person to call? I don't want to mess
around
> with those useless cust serv reps I usualy get when I call.
>
> any input would be appreciated.

Upgrades don't "add up"(accumulate). You are either eligible for
*an* upgrade or you are not. The upgrade schedule is independent
of your contract schedule. You are eligible for an upgrade about a
year after you last purchased subsidized equipment. You can then
buy new equipment at the subsidized price. New Any Two is in
addition to upgrade and pretty much a separate program. It doesn't
accumulate either.

It would certainly be worth speaking to or emailing somebody
"higher up". People seem to get reasonable results emailing the
corporate offices (link from web page). I would make your case
as you see it. You've been a loyal VZW customer for over 4
years and never upgraded. Tell them you are looking for a somewhat
better deal than what they are obligated to. I would guess they will
offer you the upgrade price + a New Any Two credit (up to $100
towards the subsidized price of a phone). Maybe more? but I
doubt it.

-Quick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 12:42:04 AM

"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've had verizon wireless for over 4 years and have had the same phone all
> that time (a startac).
>
> I want to upgrade but verizon is giving me the runaround. I went to the
> corporate store and they didn't even want to talk about it. They pretended
> not to know anything about upgrading then would run to help another
> customer. One of them told me I lost them because I had not used them in
> time.
>
> I just renewed my contract again for the 3rd or maybe 4th time and want to
> combine all my upgrades to get a good new phone. I have been a good
customer
> for Verizon spending an average of $80 a month the past few years.
>
> Does anyone have a good contact person to call? I don't want to mess
around
> with those useless cust serv reps I usualy get when I call.
>
> any input would be appreciated.
>
> Thankyou in advance.
>
> Breezy

Sorry your getting the run-around about on upgrade. I see this all the
time. I need to constantly remind customers and Customer Service the exact
way an upgrade works. You have to remember this, a reduced price handset
(upgrade) is dependent on when you got the phone and the contract length you
signed at that time. If it was 4 years ago and you were on a 1 year
contract, then you were qualified to upgrade 60 days prior to the 1st
contract expiring or I can say 305 days after you got the phone. Once your
qualified, your qualified till you actually complete the upgrade. Plan
changes, number changes ect may affect your contract expire date, but your
qualified based on the day and term on contract you signed when you got the
phone. I hope this helps. I apologice for the spelling, but I wanted to
answer this one before heading home for the night.

Good luck

ShackAttack
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 2:17:20 AM

"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I just renewed my contract again for the 3rd or maybe 4th time and want to
> combine all my upgrades to get a good new phone. I have been a good
customer
> for Verizon spending an average of $80 a month the past few years.

The best negotiating strategy would have been to use that for leverage
*before* you signed the contract extension. You could have told them you'd
move to one of the other carriers unless they treated you right with a nice
new phone. If they wanted to keep your business, they'd have sprung for
phone.

Now all you can do is appeal to their kindness and say it's a customer
goodwill thing.

Dan'l.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 2:41:46 AM

"Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> The best negotiating strategy would have been to use that for leverage
> *before* you signed the contract extension. You could have told them you'd
> move to one of the other carriers unless they treated you right with a
nice
> new phone. If they wanted to keep your business, they'd have sprung for
> phone.
>
> Now all you can do is appeal to their kindness and say it's a customer
> goodwill thing.
>
> Dan'l.

Well I simply renewed. I could cancle at any time and I do plan on moving to
another carrier if verizons service does not improve. You know Verizon
Customer service has been getting worse for me lately. I was thinking of
porting my number to Cingular.

I just can't help thinking that Customer loyalty should mean something.

Breezy
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 2:41:47 AM

HAHAHAHA! Moving to Cingular to get better customer service. What a
joke!

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:41:46 GMT, "Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Well I simply renewed. I could cancle at any time and I do plan on moving to
>another carrier if verizons service does not improve. You know Verizon
>Customer service has been getting worse for me lately. I was thinking of
>porting my number to Cingular.
>
>I just can't help thinking that Customer loyalty should mean something.
>
>Breezy

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 4:49:10 AM

Well, lets all understand something, 1st when you change a plan to one
of the lastest and greatest, YOU ARE PLACED ON A NEW CONTRACT. That is
policy and dont let anyone any one at Verizon deny that. If you are not
sure if you are on a contract go to the Verizon store and make them
show you that you are not. Almost all wireless carrier have the same
upgrade policies. Do not let someone lure you with the I beat the
carrier talk on these posting. Sometimes you get the Bear, Sometime the
bear gets you. Most of the time the bear gets you. It does not do
Verizon any good to keep you on the same out dated handset. If you have
renewed your agreement and have not upgraded your phone you can upgrade
your phone. If its is under 60days from the date of renewal then you do
not need to sign anothr agreement. If it is over 60 days, then you will
need to sign a new agreement to get the phone at the contract price.
The reason non of the reps are in a hurry to help you in the stores is
2 fold. 1 they are not paid on commisson on phones, they are paid when
a customer who is out of contract or with-in 60 days of being out of
contract renews. Since you well over that period then that means that
someone will have to do account research , have their manager verify
it, have you sign a new contract, listen to you yell about not wanting
to sign a new contract and watch all their co-works make money off of
other renewals and new activations. That is the cold hard truth. Your
best bet is to buy the phone on ebay, do not change plans again and
then shop carriers when your contract is finally up. But you can fight
it, but it will cost you a new contract or they will give you a phone
that they still sell, but it`s on their discontuned list and they are
trying to get rid of it. Welcome to the Wireless World.

--
Wireless Guy

The Cellphone Guy..
http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t116935.html
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 5:33:00 AM

"Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> HAHAHAHA! Moving to Cingular to get better customer service. What a
> joke!

"Back in the day" when I had CellOne now Cingular there cust serv wasn't too
bad. They let me out of my contract early with no penalty.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 5:36:02 AM

bump .......... back on topic please.

"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've had verizon wireless for over 4 years and have had the same phone all
> that time (a startac).
>
> I want to upgrade but verizon is giving me the runaround. I went to the
> corporate store and they didn't even want to talk about it. They pretended
> not to know anything about upgrading then would run to help another
> customer. One of them told me I lost them because I had not used them in
> time.
>
> I just renewed my contract again for the 3rd or maybe 4th time and want to
> combine all my upgrades to get a good new phone. I have been a good
customer
> for Verizon spending an average of $80 a month the past few years.
>
> Does anyone have a good contact person to call? I don't want to mess
around
> with those useless cust serv reps I usualy get when I call.
>
> any input would be appreciated.
>
> Thankyou in advance.
>
> Breezy

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 5:37:08 AM

> "Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> The best negotiating strategy would have been to use that for
>> leverage *before* you signed the contract extension. You could have
>> told them you'd move to one of the other carriers unless they treated
>> you right with a
> nice
>> new phone. If they wanted to keep your business, they'd have sprung
>> for phone.
>>
>> Now all you can do is appeal to their kindness and say it's a
>> customer goodwill thing.
>>
>> Dan'l.
>>

> Well I simply renewed. I could cancle at any time and I do plan on
> moving to another carrier if verizons service does not improve. You
> know Verizon Customer service has been getting worse for me lately. I
> was thinking of porting my number to Cingular.
>
> I just can't help thinking that Customer loyalty should mean
> something.
>
> Breezy

hey breezy,
try cingular then when you come back to verizon you will be less of a
complainer
gordy
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 6:47:29 AM

> "Back in the day" when I had CellOne now Cingular there cust serv wasn't
too
> bad. They let me out of my contract early with no penalty.

Now, you will be lucky to find a carrier that does this type of thing. Many
carriers are fighting to keep customers now. They are not willing to let
you go without a fight. With cingular now, you are are more then likely
not going to get the same service as you did at that time. I have had
several family members that have had Cingular that have had nothing but
problems now that they are Cingular and offer GSM service rather then the
TDMA/AMPS that they were offering mainly before.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 6:53:15 AM

"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've had verizon wireless for over 4 years and have had the same phone all
> that time (a startac).
>
> I want to upgrade but verizon is giving me the runaround. I went to the
> corporate store and they didn't even want to talk about it. They pretended
> not to know anything about upgrading then would run to help another
> customer. One of them told me I lost them because I had not used them in
> time.
>
> I just renewed my contract again for the 3rd or maybe 4th time and want to
> combine all my upgrades to get a good new phone. I have been a good
customer
> for Verizon spending an average of $80 a month the past few years.
>
> Does anyone have a good contact person to call? I don't want to mess
around
> with those useless cust serv reps I usualy get when I call.
>
> any input would be appreciated.
>
> Thankyou in advance.
>
> Breezy

More then likely, you are going to have no luck in upgrading your phone,
especially since you are just renewed again. When you renew your contract
with them, you are locked in again for another one or two years depending on
what extension you signed with them.
You are eligible to upgrade your phone when you are 60 days prior to
your contract expiration date. You can then get the promotional pricing for
any handset out there on the market.
You stated that you have never used an upgrade. You can not go back
down the road and ask to all of a sudden use them. Unfortunately, carriers
don't do that type of thing. AT the time that you renewed, you could have
talked with them about getting a deal, especially now with LNP out there.
They might have been able to do something for you at that time.
My guess is, if you try and go above somebody and go higher up,to hey
are just going to tell you that you just renewed your contract and that you
should have upgraded your phone at that time. If you say you are going to
go to another carrier our to here, good luck. All the carriers customer
services are really bad. Try and to upgrade to a Cingular phone before
hand. You will be in DEEP trouble there. The one advantage to GSM though,
is you could purchase an unlocked phone and use that one if you want to with
the SIM card that you get from Cingular.

Good Luck.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 7:07:40 AM

"ShackAttack" <shackattack6089@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Sorry your getting the run-around about on upgrade. I see this all the
> time. I need to constantly remind customers and Customer Service the
exact
> way an upgrade works. You have to remember this, a reduced price handset
> (upgrade) is dependent on when you got the phone and the contract length
you
> signed at that time. If it was 4 years ago and you were on a 1 year
> contract, then you were qualified to upgrade 60 days prior to the 1st
> contract expiring or I can say 305 days after you got the phone. Once
your
> qualified, your qualified till you actually complete the upgrade. Plan
> changes, number changes ect may affect your contract expire date, but your
> qualified based on the day and term on contract you signed when you got
the
> phone. I hope this helps. I apologice for the spelling, but I wanted to
> answer this one before heading home for the night.
>
> Good luck
>
> ShackAttack

When I begain my relationship with VZW cust serv reps use to say things like

"Buisiness relationship",
"Only telecomunications Co. you need" and
"We'll take care of you"

I am begining feel like promises have been broken.

They now say things like

"Contratual obligations"
"Qualified period" and
"Theres nothing we can do"

That warm fuzzy feeling is gone. but lets see. I'll give it one more day to
see if anything good happens.

Thankyou for your input

Breezy
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 10:25:31 AM

",.·` Adam `·.," <i@hatespam.go.away.com> wrote

> My guess is, if you try and go above somebody and go higher up,to hey
> are just going to tell you that you just renewed your contract and that
you
> should have upgraded your phone at that time.

This is completely wrong. They will check to see when you last upgraded
your phone at a subsidized price. If it was a year or more ago they will
certainly grant you an upgrade (you can buy any available phone at the
subsidized price). See ShackAttack's post.

Now... If you say that you haven't upgraded in 4 years and you want
the New Any Two credit on top of the upgrade I am guessing that they
*might* do this providing that they can extend your contract to a two
year one. Since you just renewed (I assume for a 1 year contract) this
may be difficult for them to do.

All this is explained on the website. VZW is not much for cutting "special"
deals on an individual basis. About the only thing that I know of that
accumulates
when you don't use it is Cingular's minutes... but there is a reason for
that...

-Quick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 3:01:03 PM

> bump .......... back on topic please.
<snip>
> > any input would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thankyou in advance.
> >
> > Breezy

From your own post above. My suggestion to "talk to a Manager etc".
was on topic.

Elector
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 3:02:08 PM

Wireless Guy <Wireless.Guy.14n0e3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

> Well, lets all understand something, 1st when you change a plan to one
> of the lastest and greatest, YOU ARE PLACED ON A NEW CONTRACT.

Incorrect as a blanket statement. Only true some of the time. I could switch
to North America's Choice from America's Choice and not have to sign a new
contract if I don't take any promotions.

a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 3:56:08 PM

Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Breezy said:

; I want to upgrade but verizon is giving me the runaround. I went to the
; corporate store and they didn't even want to talk about it. They pretended
; not to know anything about upgrading then would run to help another
; customer. One of them told me I lost them because I had not used them in
; time.

They are correct. Nowhere does it say that the upgrade credits
accumulate. They are use-or-loose. You may have some grace on how
soon or late you can use it, but you can only use +one+ each time.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

"The guns and the bombs, the rockets and the warships, all are symbols
of human failure." - Lyndon B. Johnson
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 3:56:09 PM

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <acv@gordol.org> wrote in message
> Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Breezy said:
>
> ; I want to upgrade but verizon is giving me the runaround. I went to the
> ; corporate store and they didn't even want to talk about it. They
pretended
> ; not to know anything about upgrading then would run to help another
> ; customer. One of them told me I lost them because I had not used them in
> ; time.
>
> They are correct. Nowhere does it say that the upgrade credits
> accumulate. They are use-or-loose. You may have some grace on how
> soon or late you can use it, but you can only use +one+ each time.

errr, ummm, they (actually *it*) are not use-or-lose. My understanding
is that you qualify for an upgrade based on the amount of time since
you last purchased at the subsidized price. So if it's a year you are
qualified
for an upgrade credit 1 year (give or take) following your last subsidized
purchase. Once qualified, you remain qualified until you exercise the credit
and then have to wait another year before being eligible again and so on.
It doesn't have anything to do with how many times you've renewed your
contract or if you have been on month to month following an initial
contract.

There aren't any "multiple upgrade credits". You are either qualified to
upgrade at the subsidized price or you are not. A subtle difference but
exactly the misconception that Breezy seems to be under.

-Quick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 10:28:07 PM

"Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote in message

> errr, ummm, they (actually *it*) are not use-or-lose. My understanding
> is that you qualify for an upgrade based on the amount of time since
> you last purchased at the subsidized price. So if it's a year you are
> qualified
> for an upgrade credit 1 year (give or take) following your last subsidized
> purchase. Once qualified, you remain qualified until you exercise the
credit
> and then have to wait another year before being eligible again and so on.
> It doesn't have anything to do with how many times you've renewed your
> contract or if you have been on month to month following an initial
> contract.
>
> There aren't any "multiple upgrade credits". You are either qualified to
> upgrade at the subsidized price or you are not. A subtle difference but
> exactly the misconception that Breezy seems to be under.
>
> -Quick

Those upgrade credits are mine!

Look!
All I am Asking for is a little consideration. After all these years of
paying my bill timely. I am sickend by the change in attitude from "we'll do
anything to help you" to "Theres nothing we can do".

You know I can affect the future buisness of VZW simply though my additude
toard them when ever the subject comes up.

I was a partner in buisiness with VZW.
Now.
I am one little person and VZW is a big faceless Corporation.

Breezy
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 10:28:08 PM

"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote

> "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote in message
>
> > errr, ummm, they (actually *it*) are not use-or-lose. My understanding
> > is that you qualify for an upgrade based on the amount of time since
> > you last purchased at the subsidized price. So if it's a year you are
> > qualified
> > for an upgrade credit 1 year (give or take) following your last
subsidized
> > purchase. Once qualified, you remain qualified until you exercise the
> credit
> > and then have to wait another year before being eligible again and so
on.
> > It doesn't have anything to do with how many times you've renewed your
> > contract or if you have been on month to month following an initial
> > contract.
> >
> > There aren't any "multiple upgrade credits". You are either qualified
> > upgrade at the subsidized price or you are not. A subtle difference but
> > exactly the misconception that Breezy seems to be under.
> >
> > -Quick
>
> Those upgrade credits are mine!

What upgrade creditS?!?

> Look!
> All I am Asking for is a little consideration. After all these years of
> paying my bill timely. I am sickend by the change in attitude from "we'll
do
> anything to help you" to "Theres nothing we can do".

Attitude is another thing. Individual employee attitude will
vary greatly as will the general attitidude from one store to
another. The motivation in the stores is also different from
the customer service reps at *611. Have you tried calling
customer service? You have only related one trip to a
single VZW store. Maybe they aren't a good representation
of the company as a whole?

You paid for services spelled out in a contract and
assumably they provided those services per the contract.
Do you feel entitled to a reward for paying your bill on
time every month? ...I think I should get the keys to the
city because I haven't committed a crime...

The option to get an upgrade price was there after your first
year (and is still there). Because you chose not to upgrade
you feel that it should be cumulative? Did anybody lead you
to believe that? They sold you service at what you apparently
thought worth paying for. Did you actually think a couple
of years ago "I only have to re-up a couple of more times
and they owe me a free phone"? They have an additional
$100 New-Any-Two program for people willing to commit
to a 2 year contract. It sounds like you were only willing
to commit to 1 year at a time.

> You know I can affect the future buisness of VZW simply
> though my additude toard them when ever the subject comes up.

Yea. Everybody likes to think they are a player. I'm sure
that as soon as you let them know that YOU are going to
give them bad press they will send you all the free phones
you want.

> I was a partner in buisiness with VZW.

Heh, I've been with them (well, GTE before) for over 4 years
and last year signed up for a *2* year contract. I guess that
makes me a senior partner.

> Now. I am one little person and VZW is a
> big faceless Corporation.

They do have over 33 million customers. Millions of those
have been with them for more than 4 years on plans more
than $80/month. Sorry to burst your bubble.

As I suggested before, why don't you email the executive offices.
Mention the brush off at the store. Tell them you want to upgrade
your equipment after 4 years of loyal service and ask what they
can do for you. Then post your email and their response here.
I would expect it to be, at the very least, fair.

-Quick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 10:28:08 PM

> Those upgrade credits are mine!
>
> Look!
> All I am Asking for is a little consideration. After all these years of
> paying my bill timely. I am sickend by the change in attitude from "we'll do
> anything to help you" to "Theres nothing we can do".
>
> You know I can affect the future buisness of VZW simply though my additude
> toard them when ever the subject comes up.
>
> I was a partner in buisiness with VZW.
> Now.
> I am one little person and VZW is a big faceless Corporation.
>
> Breezy

No the credits aren't yours, you may think they are but they aren't.
What you are asking for is completly unreasonable.

Asking for a little consideration? You've asked and they declined.

Stop acting like a child just because your not getting your way. If
you keep up with the attitude that you've displayed on here don't be
surprised when they don't offer retention deals when you cancel.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 10:28:08 PM

Every year, eh? I have less than one year left on my 2-year contract,
and have been a verizon customer for several years previously. Can I
resign the contract, be it one year or two, to get a promotional phone
upgrade now?

On the customer service note, when I go into my local store, they
never hesitate to tell me about the latest plan they could put me on
that would cost me more money, even when I point this out to them.
Also, since I am in desperate need of an equipment upgrade, having
damaged both phones on the account, but have 9 or so months left on
the contract, they are also eager to tell me how I could upgrade to
their latest beauty for $300. not a dime of compassion, for a 6 year
customer with 3 verizon phones. And when I tell them that I am tempted
to pay the $175 early termination fee, and get a shiny new camera
phone free from AT&T wireless where you can get a new phone every 9
months and save money on my plan and equipment - they tell me "you
could, would you like me to perform that transaction right now as part
of your worry-free guarantee?" Next thing you know, they will renew
your contract every time you call CS.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 12:04:08 AM

"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > The best negotiating strategy would have been to use that for leverage
> > *before* you signed the contract extension. You could have told them
you'd
> > move to one of the other carriers unless they treated you right with a
> nice
> > new phone. If they wanted to keep your business, they'd have sprung for
> > phone.
> >
> > Now all you can do is appeal to their kindness and say it's a customer
> > goodwill thing.
> >
> > Dan'l.
> >

> Well I simply renewed. I could cancle at any time and I do plan on moving
> another carrier if verizons service does not improve. You know Verizon
> Customer service has been getting worse for me lately. I was thinking of
> porting my number to Cingular.
>
> I just can't help thinking that Customer loyalty should mean something.
>
> Breezy

If you signed a contract, it most likely specifies a penalty if you cancel--
so you'd take it in the shorts if you do.

The contract locks you in- they can change whatever they want. In the
Atlanta market, they just took away detail billing (will cost $1.99 a month)
and the no minute use for calls to your voicemail. I called them to complain
as I had a contract. They said read the Customer Agreement. It says VZW can
do whatever the hell they want...while the customer has to toe the mark...

Dan'l.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 12:04:09 AM

"Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote >
> If you signed a contract, it most likely specifies a penalty if you
cancel--
> so you'd take it in the shorts if you do.
>
> The contract locks you in- they can change whatever they want. In the
> Atlanta market, they just took away detail billing (will cost $1.99 a
month)
> and the no minute use for calls to your voicemail. I called them to
complain
> as I had a contract. They said read the Customer Agreement. It says VZW
can
> do whatever the hell they want...while the customer has to toe the mark...

Why in the world did you sign a customer agreement like that?

-Quick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 2:26:06 AM

> "Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote >
> > If you signed a contract, it most likely specifies a penalty if you
> cancel--
> > so you'd take it in the shorts if you do.
> >
> > The contract locks you in- they can change whatever they want. In the
> > Atlanta market, they just took away detail billing (will cost $1.99 a
> month)
> > and the no minute use for calls to your voicemail. I called them to
> complain
> > as I had a contract. They said read the Customer Agreement. It says VZW
> can
> > do whatever the hell they want...while the customer has to toe the
mark...

> Why in the world did you sign a customer agreement like that?
>
> -Quick

It's the only way to get service with VZW. Check the customer agreement on
their website. If you're a customer, you signed one too!

Dan'l.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 2:26:07 AM

"Daniel Dravot" <chasham97NOSPAM@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote
> > > They said read the Customer Agreement. It says VZW
> > > can do whatever the hell they want...while the customer
> > > has to toe the mark...
> >
> > Why in the world did you sign a customer agreement like that?
> >
> > -Quick
>
> It's the only way to get service with VZW. Check the customer
> agreement on their website. If you're a customer, you signed one too!

No. My agreement must be different than yours.

They didn't take my detailed paper billing away and then charge
me for it if I still wanted it. They notified me that if I currently
have detailed paper billing and wished to retain it I had to notify
them and it would continue without charge. Simply
discontinuing it without giving me an option to retain it at no
additional charge would have changed the terms of the contract.

I would never sign an agreement that said they can do "whatever
the hell they want".

-Quick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 2:49:26 AM

breezy, please go with cingular and leave this group, please.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 3:53:42 AM

Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Quick said:

; errr, ummm, they (actually *it*) are not use-or-lose. My understanding
; is that you qualify for an upgrade based on the amount of time since
; you last purchased at the subsidized price. So if it's a year you are
; qualified
; for an upgrade credit 1 year (give or take) following your last subsidized
; purchase. Once qualified, you remain qualified until you exercise the credit
; and then have to wait another year before being eligible again and so on.

It's "use or lose" in that if you wait four years, you do not get two
two-year upgrade credits. You only get the one.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

"I will have a foreign-handed foreign policy." - George W. Bush
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 4:37:47 AM

KP <KyleDP123@lycos.com> wrote:
> Every year, eh? I have less than one year left on my 2-year contract,
> and have been a verizon customer for several years previously. Can I
> resign the contract, be it one year or two, to get a promotional phone
> upgrade now?

You should be able to, even if you don't qualify for the New Every Two
discount right now; you will still get a discounted price on the phone.

You should at least qualify for the slightly higher discounted price you get
by signing a one-year contract (I think the phone discount is either $30 or
$60 less if you do a one-year than a two-year, I forget which). If you're still
close to one year left on your contract, they might not let you do a two-year
extension; it's my impression that VZW doesn't ever lock people into agreements
longer than two years. However, that's something you'd need to discuss with
CS or a salesrep at one of the stores.

> damaged both phones on the account, but have 9 or so months left on
> the contract, they are also eager to tell me how I could upgrade to
> their latest beauty for $300.

Either they're trying to sell you the most expensive phone they have, or
they're being stupid and not offering you the discount for a contract
extension - that's where the salesdroids make their money.

If you've not had good experiences with the people at your local store,
try another store or try calling customer service.

a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 9:09:48 AM

Stop whining Breezy...you should of bought a new phone a few years ago
if you were eligible then. You can't go in now and say you want 5 new
phones at promotion price! Give me a break.

"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<XiWec.122302$gA5.1521729@attbi_s03>...
> "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote in message
>
> > errr, ummm, they (actually *it*) are not use-or-lose. My understanding
> > is that you qualify for an upgrade based on the amount of time since
> > you last purchased at the subsidized price. So if it's a year you are
> > qualified
> > for an upgrade credit 1 year (give or take) following your last subsidized
> > purchase. Once qualified, you remain qualified until you exercise the
> credit
> > and then have to wait another year before being eligible again and so on.
> > It doesn't have anything to do with how many times you've renewed your
> > contract or if you have been on month to month following an initial
> > contract.
> >
> > There aren't any "multiple upgrade credits". You are either qualified to
> > upgrade at the subsidized price or you are not. A subtle difference but
> > exactly the misconception that Breezy seems to be under.
> >
> > -Quick
>
> Those upgrade credits are mine!
>
> Look!
> All I am Asking for is a little consideration. After all these years of
> paying my bill timely. I am sickend by the change in attitude from "we'll do
> anything to help you" to "Theres nothing we can do".
>
> You know I can affect the future buisness of VZW simply though my additude
> toard them when ever the subject comes up.
>
> I was a partner in buisiness with VZW.
> Now.
> I am one little person and VZW is a big faceless Corporation.
>
> Breezy
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 12:36:53 PM

On 13 Apr 2004 16:08:19 -0700, KyleDP123@lycos.com (KP) wrote:

>Every year, eh? I have less than one year left on my 2-year contract,
>and have been a verizon customer for several years previously. Can I
>resign the contract, be it one year or two, to get a promotional phone
>upgrade now?

I had been a month to month for several years with a $19.95 plan (using
the phone for emergencies only). Verizon offered a great promotional
deal fitting my wishes (1000 min /mo. including free LD for $39.95).
Even though I had not been on $39.95+ plan previously to qualify the
free every two, they gave me a free phone (V60i).
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 1:28:20 PM

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote

> You should at least qualify for the slightly higher discounted price you
get
> by signing a one-year contract (I think the phone discount is either $30
or
> $60 less if you do a one-year than a two-year, I forget which). If you're
still
> close to one year left on your contract, they might not let you do a
two-year
> extension; it's my impression that VZW doesn't ever lock people into
agreements
> longer than two years. However, that's something you'd need to discuss
with
> CS or a salesrep at one of the stores.

I've always seen the discount difference to be $30 + free activation
($35) --
of course the activation only applies to new accounts?

If you go for the 2 year discount price they extend your contract *to* 2
years
starting today. If you go for the 1 year discount price and have 1 year or
more
remaining on your current contract they don't change anything.

-Quick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 1:38:13 PM

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <acv@gordol.org> wrote in message
> Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Quick said:
>
> ; errr, ummm, they (actually *it*) are not use-or-lose. My understanding
> ; is that you qualify for an upgrade based on the amount of time since
> ; you last purchased at the subsidized price. So if it's a year you are
> ; qualified
> ; for an upgrade credit 1 year (give or take) following your last
subsidized
> ; purchase. Once qualified, you remain qualified until you exercise the
credit
> ; and then have to wait another year before being eligible again and so
on.

> It's "use or lose" in that if you wait four years, you do not get two
> two-year upgrade credits. You only get the one.

Exactly... We're saying the same thing but the subtle difference
is that it is the *same* upgrade credit. You never "lost" your first one.
It became available and remains available. The "use or lose" (stress the
"or lose" part) way of thinking about it implies there are multiple discrete
units although you can only exercise one of them. This is not the case
and leads some to think like the OP.

-Quick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 5:35:23 PM

The Dr quietly offers the following:
I'll assume two things: that recently you've done a contract change that
may/maynot have extended your contract term; that you've not received a
subsidized phone in 4 years; and that your plan is $39.99 or more per month;
and that your contracts have been for 2 year terms (four things, just seeing
if your paying attention)

Suggest you call CS and tell them the above; and if your frustrated, tell
them; but respectfully. Ask for their help. Just tell em the truth, and you
should get the help you need. No problems.

Given your facts, may I might suggest:
I have recently changed plans, but not received new or subsidized equipment
in 4 years. I thought I might have been eligible for a New Every Two, but
was always rushed when I had to make a plan change; my fault, not yours. Can
you help me with new subsidized equipment and do I qualify for the New Every
Two? I was thinking about xxxxx phone... (no tricks, no escalation, tell em
the truth, ask for help, and something good might happen to you).

And sadly, concerning the title: no one "owes" you upgrade credits. You
become eligible for an upgrade, but it is a market driven promotion. If you
don't use it, you don't get it.

--
Dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2004 5:42:39 PM

Quick <dhorwitz@nospamcisco.com> wrote:

> I've always seen the discount difference to be $30 + free activation
> ($35) --
> of course the activation only applies to new accounts?

I don't remember. It's been almost a year since I bought a new phone and
activated a new line of service and I only did one year because I will not
sign up for a two year contract with anyone. I think you're correct.

> If you go for the 2 year discount price they extend your contract *to* 2
> years
> starting today. If you go for the 1 year discount price and have 1 year or
> more
> remaining on your current contract they don't change anything.

Quite possible. I could be wrong.