Netstumbler and 2 MAC Addresses visible for my SSID

Hi,

I downloaded Netstumbler, just to take a look at what's broadcasting around
my townhouse. <<when my phone rings, my connections will drop and I'll
suddently see my neighbor's SSID's with Zero-Wireless Config, so I'm
curious>>

4 MAC address popped up, with SSID's. 2 of the SSID's appear to be my
Linksys. However, I can find only one of the MAC addresses on my router
config page that corresponds to the numbers I saw. Any ideas?

Anybody else with WRT54G, running netstumbler and seeing this? Maybe I
should change my SSID to something else and see what happens?

Thanks

"ThaMachineRNC" <TheMachineRNC@MachineRNC.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded Netstumbler, just to take a look at what's broadcasting
around
> my townhouse. <<when my phone rings, my connections will drop and I'll
> suddently see my neighbor's SSID's with Zero-Wireless Config, so I'm
> curious>>
>
> 4 MAC address popped up, with SSID's. 2 of the SSID's appear to be my
> Linksys. However, I can find only one of the MAC addresses on my router
> config page that corresponds to the numbers I saw. Any ideas?
>
> Anybody else with WRT54G, running netstumbler and seeing this? Maybe I
> should change my SSID to something else and see what happens?
>
> Thanks

It sounds like you and a neighbor are both using Linksys APs with the
default SSID. You should definitely change your SSID.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Ed

Take this with a grain of salt, you may know a lot more than me, just
offering stuff I tried and prolly screwed up a couple of times... Maybe
it'll be of some help to somebody...

Read ALL of this before doing anything or you might have to get out the
proverbial hi-speed low-drag genuine hi-tech mystery-wood stick-grade
routerpick and start over.
(If you don't know what that is, you ain't tinkered with programmable stuff
enough... <GRIN>)

Do all of this from a wired connection to the router...

I suggest changing the channel, changing SSID, and turn SSID broadcast off
in your router.

Go to MAC filtering (don't turn it on yet) and put in the MAC addresses of
your boxes that will access your LAN both wired and wireless,

PUT THE WIRED BOX MAC IN FIRST so you don't lock yourself out in case you
didn't read the part about "don't turn filtering on yet"
On a some home routers you have a pull down with all the local boxes w/ MAC
that are on your LAN and a 'clone' button to copy it to the table.

Make sure all the boxes belong to YOU and not Buford that lives in the shed
out back cause the rent's cheap w/ free Internet access,. THEN turn on the
filtering selecting "ALLOW only the listed MACs to access network..blah
blah"

In short, don't use default nuttin! 'Helps' keep the gremlins out....

Ed
I may not know but at least I'm confident in my ignorance.

"ThaMachineRNC" <TheMachineRNC@MachineRNC.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded Netstumbler, just to take a look at what's broadcasting
around
> my townhouse. <<when my phone rings, my connections will drop and I'll
> suddently see my neighbor's SSID's with Zero-Wireless Config, so I'm
> curious>>
>
> 4 MAC address popped up, with SSID's. 2 of the SSID's appear to be my
> Linksys. However, I can find only one of the MAC addresses on my router
> config page that corresponds to the numbers I saw. Any ideas?
>
> Anybody else with WRT54G, running netstumbler and seeing this? Maybe I
> should change my SSID to something else and see what happens?
>
> Thanks

That's why I was wondering.... Been there and done that a year ago when I
got it. SSID, Password, MAC Filtering, WEP at 128-bit Encryption. I'd
do WPA, but I have some cards that don't support it. Was just wondering if
the WRT54G was supposed to broadcast 2 different mac addresses. Funny
thing it's not like two addresses ending 1 digit apart both address are
completley different. I'll change my SSID and see if it makes a
difference.

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> "ThaMachineRNC" <TheMachineRNC@MachineRNC.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I downloaded Netstumbler, just to take a look at what's broadcasting
> around
> > my townhouse. <<when my phone rings, my connections will drop and I'll
> > suddently see my neighbor's SSID's with Zero-Wireless Config, so I'm
> > curious>>
> >
> > 4 MAC address popped up, with SSID's. 2 of the SSID's appear to be my
> > Linksys. However, I can find only one of the MAC addresses on my
router
> > config page that corresponds to the numbers I saw. Any ideas?
> >
> > Anybody else with WRT54G, running netstumbler and seeing this? Maybe I
> > should change my SSID to something else and see what happens?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> It sounds like you and a neighbor are both using Linksys APs with the
> default SSID. You should definitely change your SSID.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Taking a moment's reflection, ThaMachineRNC mused:

| 4 MAC address popped up, with SSID's. 2 of the SSID's appear to be my
| Linksys. However, I can find only one of the MAC addresses on my router
| config page that corresponds to the numbers I saw. Any ideas?

Since it's a router, doesn't it have two MAC Addresses ... one for LAN
and one for WAN? The WAN MAC is a result of the setting you have in MAC
Address Cloning.

"mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
> Taking a moment's reflection, ThaMachineRNC mused:
> |
> | 4 MAC address popped up, with SSID's. 2 of the SSID's appear to be my
> | Linksys. However, I can find only one of the MAC addresses on my
router
> | config page that corresponds to the numbers I saw. Any ideas?
>
> Since it's a router, doesn't it have two MAC Addresses ... one for LAN
> and one for WAN? The WAN MAC is a result of the setting you have in
> MAC Address Cloning.

A wireless router has 3 MAC addresses: WAN, wired LAN, and wireless LAN.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Taking a moment's reflection, Ron Bandes mused:

| A wireless router has 3 MAC addresses: WAN, wired LAN, and wireless LAN.

That's what I get for having an AP. ;-)

Ed <ctx00253REMOVE@centurytel.net> wrote:

> I suggest changing the channel, changing SSID, and turn SSID broadcast off
> in your router.

The OP lives in a townhouse within range of three other wireless
networks. These four wireless networking users will have to pick their
channels carefully in order to minimize interference with each other.
Turning off SSID broadcasting just makes that task more difficult.

ThaMachineRNC <TheMachineRNC@MachineRNC.com> wrote:

> I downloaded Netstumbler, just to take a look at what's broadcasting around
> my townhouse. <<when my phone rings, my connections will drop and I'll
> suddently see my neighbor's SSID's with Zero-Wireless Config, so I'm
> curious>>
>
> 4 MAC address popped up, with SSID's. 2 of the SSID's appear to be my
> Linksys. However, I can find only one of the MAC addresses on my router
> config page that corresponds to the numbers I saw. Any ideas?
>
> Anybody else with WRT54G, running netstumbler and seeing this? Maybe I
> should change my SSID to something else and see what happens?

Unplug your router and cordless telephone, then use your stumbler app to
check channels and signal levels for the other wireless networks in your
area. Allow some time to get reliable signal level readings.

Then plug in your router and start configuring. The first thing to do,
if you haven't already, is to enable wireless encryption. Use the
strongest kind supported by your hardware and software. This will
probably be WPA; but if you have to use WEP, choose the stronger
(128-bit) flavor and change the key periodically.

Next, give your wireless network a unique SSID. I suggest your telephone
number or an email address where you can be reached. Yes, you *want* the
other wireless users in your neighborhood to be able to communicate with
you concerning channel assignments and interference problems. You are
using a shared, public resource (unlicensed 2.4GHz radio spectrum), and
cooperation will be required to make the best use of it.

Then you need to pick a channel for your wireless network. Wireless
networking channels (for 802.11b and 802.11g) overlap with the two
channels above and the two channels below them. Only three channels --
1, 6, and 11 in the United States -- can be used at the same time in the
same area with no overlap. It won't be possible for the four networks in
your neighborhood to avoid at least some overlap; but you can reduce it
by picking a channel as far away (numerically) from any of the other
three networks as you can get, with greater difference from the stronger
network(s). You may need to experiment to find the best channel. If you
can, work out channel assignments with the other wireless users.

Consider replacing your 2.4GHz cordless telephone with one that uses
900MHz or 5.8GHz in order to reduce interference with the local wireless
data networks.