status doesn't change when away from pc

June 4, 2005 9:37:30 PM

A friend of mine uses messenger, but when he's away from his pc, for say,
hours ... his status doesn't change to "away", even though that's the
setting and it is enabled.

Is there a way to force this to work.
Thanks.
Diana

More about : status change

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 6:16:13 PM

Greetings,

This is probably the result of some other application you're using or a screen saver setup.
Unfortunately localizing this problem can be quite difficult, so if you want an instant
solution, simply install Messenger Plus (http://www.msgplus.net) and use its option for doing
this (which may work differently). The option after installing Plus! is in the main
Messenger window, clicking the Plus! menu, then Preferences, General Options, then
Miscellaneous and make use of the "Automatically change status after a period of inactivity"
option. Take note that if you do try this option, be sure to read through the installer ,as
if you do not wish to install the sponsor program (ie. advertising) that goes along with
Plus!, be sure *not* to chose that option during the installation.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"DianaH" <nuttin@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:unxxa5VaFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>A friend of mine uses messenger, but when he's away from his pc, for say,
> hours ... his status doesn't change to "away", even though that's the
> setting and it is enabled.
>
> Is there a way to force this to work.
> Thanks.
> Diana

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 6:36:50 PM

Too bad Messenger Plus! defaults to installing the spyware. It's a fine
program otherwise.

One good thing is that you CAN remove the spyware totally using their
uninstall utility.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> Greetings,
>
> This is probably the result of some other application you're using or a
> screen saver setup.
> Unfortunately localizing this problem can be quite difficult, so if you
> want an instant
> solution, simply install Messenger Plus (http://www.msgplus.net) and use
> its option for doing
> this (which may work differently). The option after installing Plus! is
> in the main
> Messenger window, clicking the Plus! menu, then Preferences, General
> Options, then
> Miscellaneous and make use of the "Automatically change status after a
> period of inactivity"
> option. Take note that if you do try this option, be sure to read through
> the installer ,as
> if you do not wish to install the sponsor program (ie. advertising) that
> goes along with
> Plus!, be sure *not* to chose that option during the installation.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>

> "DianaH" <nuttin@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>A friend of mine uses messenger, but when he's away from his pc, for say,
>> hours ... his status doesn't change to "away", even though that's the
>> setting and it is enabled.
>>
>> Is there a way to force this to work.
>> Thanks.
>> Diana

June 5, 2005 7:14:20 PM

Hi,

No, during the install you are prompted to chose "Yes, install" or "No, don't install" --
there is no default choice.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> Too bad Messenger Plus! defaults to installing the spyware. It's a fine program otherwise.
>
> One good thing is that you CAN remove the spyware totally using their uninstall utility.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings,
>>
>> This is probably the result of some other application you're using or a screen saver
>> setup.
>> Unfortunately localizing this problem can be quite difficult, so if you want an instant
>> solution, simply install Messenger Plus (http://www.msgplus.net) and use its option for
>> doing
>> this (which may work differently). The option after installing Plus! is in the main
>> Messenger window, clicking the Plus! menu, then Preferences, General Options, then
>> Miscellaneous and make use of the "Automatically change status after a period of
>> inactivity"
>> option. Take note that if you do try this option, be sure to read through the installer
>> ,as
>> if you do not wish to install the sponsor program (ie. advertising) that goes along with
>> Plus!, be sure *not* to chose that option during the installation.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>

>> "DianaH" <nuttin@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>>A friend of mine uses messenger, but when he's away from his pc, for say,
>>> hours ... his status doesn't change to "away", even though that's the
>>> setting and it is enabled.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to force this to work.
>>> Thanks.
>>> Diana

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:58:42 PM

I just refuse it outright during the installation.
Marrie

Please visit my sight at
http://home.earthlink.net/~kales2/pattys_country_colors.... where I am an
affiliate of patty's Country Colors. If you like hand made candels, crafts,
and more, you will like Patty's Country Colors. I will try and keep up to
date on the items for sale. Check it out.

> Too bad Messenger Plus! defaults to installing the spyware. It's a fine
> program otherwise.
>
> One good thing is that you CAN remove the spyware totally using their
> uninstall utility.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings,
>>
>> This is probably the result of some other application you're using or a
>> screen saver setup.
>> Unfortunately localizing this problem can be quite difficult, so if you
>> want an instant
>> solution, simply install Messenger Plus (http://www.msgplus.net) and use
>> its option for doing
>> this (which may work differently). The option after installing Plus! is
>> in the main
>> Messenger window, clicking the Plus! menu, then Preferences, General
>> Options, then
>> Miscellaneous and make use of the "Automatically change status after a
>> period of inactivity"
>> option. Take note that if you do try this option, be sure to read
>> through the installer ,as
>> if you do not wish to install the sponsor program (ie. advertising) that
>> goes along with
>> Plus!, be sure *not* to chose that option during the installation.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>

>> "DianaH" <nuttin@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>>A friend of mine uses messenger, but when he's away from his pc, for say,
>>> hours ... his status doesn't change to "away", even though that's the
>>> setting and it is enabled.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to force this to work.
>>> Thanks.
>>> Diana

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 10:20:17 AM

You are right! I was listening to someone who had said that he installed it
without making any choices and that the sponsor software installed. I just
checked the newest version. It will NOT proceed unless you make a choice.

That's what I get for not checking a statement before I parrot it myself.
Lessen learned! (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> Hi,
>
> No, during the install you are prompted to chose "Yes, install" or "No,
> don't install" -- there is no default choice.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert

>> Too bad Messenger Plus! defaults to installing the spyware. It's a fine
>> program otherwise.
>>
>> One good thing is that you CAN remove the spyware totally using their
>> uninstall utility.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> This is probably the result of some other application you're using or a
>>> screen saver setup.
>>> Unfortunately localizing this problem can be quite difficult, so if you
>>> want an instant
>>> solution, simply install Messenger Plus (http://www.msgplus.net) and use
>>> its option for doing
>>> this (which may work differently). The option after installing Plus! is
>>> in the main
>>> Messenger window, clicking the Plus! menu, then Preferences, General
>>> Options, then
>>> Miscellaneous and make use of the "Automatically change status after a
>>> period of inactivity"
>>> option. Take note that if you do try this option, be sure to read
>>> through the installer ,as
>>> if you do not wish to install the sponsor program (ie. advertising) that
>>> goes along with
>>> Plus!, be sure *not* to chose that option during the installation.
>>> Jonathan Kay
>>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>>> Associate Expert
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>>> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>>>

>>> "DianaH" <nuttin@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 3:36:07 PM

Hi Richard,

Yeah I've heard that story repeatedly myself ;)
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

!