Soyo P4ISR...Restart and Shutdown...

G

I am building a new machine using the SY-P4ISR mobo and have some issues regarding Restart and Shutdown. The machine is a dual boot (Windows 98, SE and Windows 2000 Server). The PC will restart and shutdown under 2000, but not 98. When I attempt either action, the PC gets as far as displaying the Shutting down Windows screen, but then just hangs. The only solution is to switch off the PC or hit the Reset button, which of course is frustrating, because then Scandisk comes up and has to scan the drive for 98.

I wrote Soyo Tech Support, who "automatically" told me to upgrade the BIOS, which I did last nite. The outcome...Now, neither 98 or 2000 will restart or shutdown...I'm doubling checking the email from Soyo again to make sure about the correct version of the BIOS, but I need help on this one...

The configuration is as follows...
- 3D Riva TNT2, 32 MB
- Linksys NIC card
- US Robotics 56K Win Modem
- Maxtor 40 GB, 7200 rpm
- Maxtor 13 GB, 7200 rpm
- Pine 56X CR-ROM

Thx in advance,
Adym,

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
2 thoughts:

1) I once had a shutdown problem with 98 - tunred out the sound card drivers were funky and it was hanging trying to play the shutdown sound. Maybe?

or

2) Not sure, but is there a way to enable/disable ACPI in 98? Maybe it's disabled?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

Well, until today, I didn't even know what ACPI was. Just read it on the Intel site. With regards to...

1)...How can I prevent this sound from playing? I'm guessing that I just go into Sounds and disable the shutdown sound, but that's just sounds too easy to me...

2)...Turns out there is a way...http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/archive/desinit/Retailup.asp. I'll try this tonite.

G

I'm just using the on-board sound. This mobo is actually a freebie from my brother who tried building onto it using a SB Audigy. He never got it working and gave up the mobo to me and went and bought another board. I see other posts in this forum on a lot of hardware incompatibilities between this P4ISR and other hardware. I wonder if this mobo suffers from a "time-to-market" sickness...i.e. Soyo needed a P4 competitor and just pushed the P4ISR onto the market without fully testing it...