IveGotYourHooD

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Some info:

I am running win2k pro and have a Creative Sound Blaster v.92 modem blaster modem (56k) running on the com1 port (serial). My com1 settings are set to:

115200 bits per second
8 data bits
No Parity
1 Stop bit
No Flow control

My receive buffer is high (14) and transmit is high at (16)
And it is set to use FIFO buffers (requiring 16550 compatible UART)

My connection settings are:
PPP:windows 95/98/nt4/2000, internet
LCP extensions enabled
software compression disabled
Negotiate multi-link for sing link connections enabled
Use IP header compression disabled

My problem or complication is this: I connect to my isp (very good service and local) and my connection is very good (no bottlenecking, constant transfer both ways, good speed) I load up A messaging service like Aol Instant Messenger, and still steady transfer. I get on an online multiplayer game of some type and play with a constant low latency around 200 or less. But the thing that perplexes me is that when I start web browsing, my connection seems to degrade and seem like it's bottlenecking like crazy and often halts transfer for long periods of time without any kind of aparent activity. This applies for any website, even one's offering high bandwidth, ect ect. Does this mean anything to anyone??? I can't understand why it would degrade during web browsing but not when loading an application or when used in a bandwidth intesive environment like online gaming. I have a good system with lots of memory and a high speed cpu, and I do have all the latest hardware and software updates installed, including win2k service updates and the latest internet explorer version. Any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Does anybody have any JuMpEr CaBleS?

bgates

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
The FIFO buffers work for you? I seem to have trouble with constant connection interuptions when I use it, my modem is the USR v.92 internal PCI preformance pro.

Hmm...and isn't it best to have flow control on Hardware? I've always thought to leave it on Hardware, but I could be wrong. I've always also been unsure about my modem settings, so some clarity on this issue could be helpful!