rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
I know this isn't the DVD forum, but no one goes THERE, so I had to ask here. Sorry. I just got a Toshiba SDM1612 DVD/CD-ROM drive (OEM) with Win2K and Visiontek GeForce3 Ti 200 (model 6564). Do I need anything else to play a DVD (like encoder software)? If so, where would I get it(is it free, or must I borrow it)? I am getting an error that says:

Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem. Lowering your screen resolution or color depth may fix the problem .
I have lowered my resolution down to 800 X 600 and my colors down to 16 bit. Do I have to get any additional hardware or software to to DVD playback? Thanks.

-Rick

Tom_Smart

Illustrious
you need DVD playback software. check out the driver disk that came with the card if none there checkmout the disk that came with the dvd drive(providind it wasn't OEM) failing that you will have to "borrow" it.

Although it has a lot of good ideas, beer doesn't know anything about computers!!!

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Also, what video card does your computer have? If it is an AGP ATI card, it will have hardware accellerated DVD Playback. Cheaking the disk will allow you to get that software and use it.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

He already said it was an nVidia card. Download a DVD player and this should fix your problem.

Jack Burton is a great man...

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks guys...the software that was indicating the error was from the Dreamworks DVD "Shrek", and it is called Interactual Player 2.0. Their site indicates that this error is often caused by lack of DVD Decoder software, which I know I did not install (I thought that the hardware alone had that capability, but I seem to have been mistaken). Anyway, my DVD player was OEM. Anyone got any suggestions for DVD software....nothing special, just reliable and relatively simple for watching DVD's? Thanks again.

-Rick

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Power DVD is known for its good features, To answer the question above about ATI, I should have known but when you are reading a problem at 1:00AM, you do not always see the details. Also, just to let you know, most of this software will cost you around $50.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks for the info...I hear Imesh might be running a special tonite on PowerDVD software.....$0, 0%, 0 Months....not bad.

-Rick

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
I had the same problem as you when I used PowerDVD (that was included with the drive when I bought it). What I did to fix this problem was simply change your screen resolution and it would work again. However, the problem persisted and I was getting tired of changing screen resolutions everytime this happened. I would suggest you get Interactual Player 2.0 This is usually included on a DVD that you rent from a local video store. I find that it works a lot better than PowerDVD.
Good luck!

"Being Canadian, I can only stay online as long as my igloo generator is running..."

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
PowerDVD was a winner. Thanks for the tip, it works great. I think the sale continues throough March 31st, so hurry up and get yours. :smile:

-Rick

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
CDMediaWorld has lots of good downloads and information. Check out the <A HREF="http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils.shtml" target="_new">CD/DVD Utilities</A>.

<A HREF="http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd.shtml" target="_new">http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd.shtml</A>

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/25/02 11:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>