Sign in with
Your question

BIOS upgrade

Last response: in Motherboards
March 22, 2002 5:33:50 AM

I have a Dell that's several years old now, and I'd like to upgrade the CPU beyond what the BIOS limit's it to. I thought I might flash in a BIOS from a later model with the same chipset and basically the same specs. But the other model has a 4MB bios and mine is a 2MB. Is swapping out a new chip as easy as pulling the old one off and popping in a new one? Am I doomed in other ways you might notice? I appreciate any help you can give.

More about : bios upgrade

March 22, 2002 6:18:06 AM

that BIOS chip might be physically incompatible, no?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
March 22, 2002 8:55:57 AM

LOL you can't do that dude! heh you make me laugh LOL

see if you can just find the flash on the web and flash the bios, or let us know what you have and we'll find it for you.

do you know how to flash a bios?

<b> <font color=orange> Forum police </font color=orange> </b>
<font color=blue> Here to preserve respect and friendship </font color=blue>
Related resources
March 22, 2002 8:58:21 AM

Also, what are the 2 models you're talking about?

March 22, 2002 3:43:31 PM

I have a Dell Dimension XPS R400, The model to upgrade to would be a an XPS T800. Both are 440BX boards with all the same ports. The T800 supposedly has a 4Mb Bios chip and mine has a 2Mb chip

These are the models I'm talking about.
March 22, 2002 6:40:12 PM

but it's a wrong assumption to think that because they're similar and have the same chipset that the BIOS would be compatible. Even within different revs of the same board (ABIT KT7A for instance) you need different BIOS (rev 1.3 is different from 1.0 - 1.2). Your trick would not work.

The biggest clue is the fact that it's twice the size. Gotta be different, otherwise why would they have done that?

March 22, 2002 11:47:06 PM

You need to find the BIOS update specific to your machine. If you somehow manage to flash your BIOS with the wrong one you will hose your system!!!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
!