Messenger won't run at all

I've downloaded the 7.0 messenger and it won't even open. It says that it
has encountered a problem and has to close. I've un-installed and
re-installed several times, and it always does the same thing. I use windows
xp, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? It's very frustrating!

Greetings,

In the error that apologizes for the inconvenience of Messenger shutting down, click the
"click here" link -- in the next screen, you'll see something like the
following: szAppName : msnsmgr.exe szAppVer : 7.0.0777 szModName : rpcrt4.dll

If you could reply back with what the szModName has in your error, would make it easier to
determine what the problem is.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"loveknott" <loveknott@discussions.mircosoft.com> wrote in message
> I've downloaded the 7.0 messenger and it won't even open. It says that it
> has encountered a problem and has to close. I've un-installed and
> re-installed several times, and it always does the same thing. I use windows
> xp, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? It's very frustrating!

Hello,

It says ModeName: msgplush.dll

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> In the error that apologizes for the inconvenience of Messenger shutting down, click the
> "click here" link -- in the next screen, you'll see something like the
> following: szAppName : msnsmgr.exe szAppVer : 7.0.0777 szModName : rpcrt4.dll
>
> If you could reply back with what the szModName has in your error, would make it easier to
> determine what the problem is.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "loveknott" <loveknott@discussions.mircosoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've downloaded the 7.0 messenger and it won't even open. It says that it
> > has encountered a problem and has to close. I've un-installed and
> > re-installed several times, and it always does the same thing. I use windows
> > xp, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? It's very frustrating!

Greetings,

What you're seeing is an older version one of the Messenger Plus 2.x DLL trying to hook into
Messenger (and failing, because it isn't compatible with MSN Messenger 7).

To solve this, firstly uninstall Messenger Plus! 2.x from Add or Remove Programs in the
Control Panel, then assuming you want to keep Plus, install the latest version (which is
3.54 FYI) from http://www.msgplus.net.

> Hello,
>
> It says ModeName: msgplush.dll
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> In the error that apologizes for the inconvenience of Messenger shutting down, click the
>> "click here" link -- in the next screen, you'll see something like the
>> following: szAppName : msnsmgr.exe szAppVer : 7.0.0777 szModName : rpcrt4.dll
>>
>> If you could reply back with what the szModName has in your error, would make it easier to
>> determine what the problem is.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "loveknott" <loveknott@discussions.mircosoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've downloaded the 7.0 messenger and it won't even open. It says that it
>> > has encountered a problem and has to close. I've un-installed and
>> > re-installed several times, and it always does the same thing. I use windows
>> > xp, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? It's very frustrating!

Hello,

Do i need to keep the Messenger Plus? Can you tell me what it is? If I
don't need it, I won't install the latest version. Also, do I have to
un-install the 7.0 messenger while I do this?

Michelle

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> What you're seeing is an older version one of the Messenger Plus 2.x DLL trying to hook into
> Messenger (and failing, because it isn't compatible with MSN Messenger 7).
>
> To solve this, firstly uninstall Messenger Plus! 2.x from Add or Remove Programs in the
> Control Panel, then assuming you want to keep Plus, install the latest version (which is
> 3.54 FYI) from http://www.msgplus.net.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "loveknott" <loveknott@discussions.mircosoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > It says ModeName: msgplush.dll
> >
> > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> In the error that apologizes for the inconvenience of Messenger shutting down, click the
> >> "click here" link -- in the next screen, you'll see something like the
> >> following: szAppName : msnsmgr.exe szAppVer : 7.0.0777 szModName : rpcrt4.dll
> >>
> >> If you could reply back with what the szModName has in your error, would make it easier to
> >> determine what the problem is.
> >> ____________________________________________
> >> Jonathan Kay
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> >> Associate Expert
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
> >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
> >>
> >> "loveknott" <loveknott@discussions.mircosoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Michelle,

See the Messenger Plus website if you're interested, but it's a third-party Messenger
utility, you don't "need" it, so remove it if you wish.

No need to uninstall Messenger itself.

> Hello,
>
> Do i need to keep the Messenger Plus? Can you tell me what it is? If I
> don't need it, I won't install the latest version. Also, do I have to
> un-install the 7.0 messenger while I do this?
>
> Michelle
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> What you're seeing is an older version one of the Messenger Plus 2.x DLL trying to hook
>> into
>> Messenger (and failing, because it isn't compatible with MSN Messenger 7).
>>
>> To solve this, firstly uninstall Messenger Plus! 2.x from Add or Remove Programs in the
>> Control Panel, then assuming you want to keep Plus, install the latest version (which is
>> 3.54 FYI) from http://www.msgplus.net.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "loveknott" <loveknott@discussions.mircosoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > It says ModeName: msgplush.dll

Hi Jonathan!

got the messenger up and running, thanks for all of your help-you rock!

Michelle

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Michelle,
>
> See the Messenger Plus website if you're interested, but it's a third-party Messenger
> utility, you don't "need" it, so remove it if you wish.
>
> No need to uninstall Messenger itself.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "loveknott" <loveknott@discussions.mircosoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > Do i need to keep the Messenger Plus? Can you tell me what it is? If I
> > don't need it, I won't install the latest version. Also, do I have to
> > un-install the 7.0 messenger while I do this?
> >
> > Michelle
> >
> > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> What you're seeing is an older version one of the Messenger Plus 2.x DLL trying to hook
> >> into
> >> Messenger (and failing, because it isn't compatible with MSN Messenger 7).
> >>
> >> To solve this, firstly uninstall Messenger Plus! 2.x from Add or Remove Programs in the
> >> Control Panel, then assuming you want to keep Plus, install the latest version (which is
> >> 3.54 FYI) from http://www.msgplus.net.
> >> ____________________________________________
> >> Jonathan Kay
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> >> Associate Expert
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
> >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
> >>
> >> "loveknott" <loveknott@discussions.mircosoft.com> wrote in message

Johathan,
I have the same problem Michelle had, but I don't have Messenger Plus2.xDLL
in my add/remove programs list. It is driving me crazy. Can you help?
Teri