Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PC VS. 360 opinions!!

Last response: in Video Games
February 13, 2006 3:05:16 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, no fan boys here, i want honest opinion, i dont care if you have a 3000 dollar pc or a 360, give honest opinions. I have a killer gaming computer 2x7800 and all. But i was just thinking, i spend SO much on my computer to get superior graphics for video games...and i jst wonder..."why not just get a 360" ( i dont care if you think consols suck, im a huge pc fan and always hated consols, but it looks pretty killer with NO slow downs" why would i want to spend 580 bucks on the latest graphics card when i can buy a 360 for the same price? it just dawned on my now looking at a trailer with a split screen of the pc's version of farcry, and 360's version, and the 360, shamefully, looks a shitload better. Id buy a 360.....but...iv never gotten a straight answer..if you can use a keyboard and mouse yet..does anyone know? the only games i play are fps's...so theres no way il want to use a controller again. But 3000 bucks for a gaming computer, when the 360 has the graphics i want. and since im picky, i hate slow downs, and if theres one thing i hate, is seeing loss of frames in video games....so if anyone knows , does the 360 accept mouse and keyboard? whats your opinions on the 360 vs a high end pc?-jim

More about : 360 opinions

February 13, 2006 7:17:59 AM

Consoles are a different gaming experience. Particularly if you like multiplayer with friends, you can't beat four guys sitting next to one another (or more, if you hook up a few consoles.) At the same time, PC Gaming offers much grander experiences, I think, such as with MMORPG's, games like Battlefield 2 being played to their full potential and so on.

Consoles are also probably the cheaper option, but the way I look at it is that a PC is multi-functional, unlike a console. I can do what I want with my computer, but not with a console.
February 13, 2006 8:00:23 AM

If you are spending that kind of money only for games, then you might have point in getting a 360. Just don't forget that a 360 might be the hottest thing around now, it will age as well and upgrading will not easy. The architecture is pretty future proof though, so it will be good for a couple of years as developers catch on how to program it well. However, take into account that you need a HD TV set in order to really enjoy the graphics (they're not bad on regular TV but the difference is noticable) so you should add that to your total costs in this equation.

Personally I agree with Aaron that my PC is meant for more than just gaming. Still the money for gfx boards pretty much only goes to enhancing gaming apps and nothing much else. As a last point: 360 games are probably more expensive than PC titles (and even in budget bins there are less console titles than PC titles) so this is an additional cost factor that you have to take into account. If you play a lot of games, then this can really add up.
Related resources
February 13, 2006 10:42:43 AM

Quote:
But 3000 bucks for a gaming computer, when the 360 has the graphics i want. and since im picky, i hate slow downs, and if theres one thing i hate, is seeing loss of frames in video games....so if anyone knows , does the 360 accept mouse and keyboard? whats your opinions on the 360 vs a high end pc?-jim

I've seen the 360 at work with quake4 and it already has lots of slowdowns. So be careful with switching if that is your main beef. It does not mean that the 360 is not capable for that kind of game, it means that Q4 is kind of a bad 360 port of a PC game. Q4 is a (mostly) single threaded game, and it cannot utilize the 360 multi core as it should. Given the time it took to develop the Doom3 engine, you can bet on it not being multi core prepared.

So things will get better as time progresses but don't assume the 360 to run PC port with flawless speeds because the gaming architectures have not been adapted yet. My expectation is that it will take at least another year before we'll see a good multi core tuned engine around. I'm not that confident that the new Unreal engine will deliver on this point. I've better hopes for the next CryEngine. It's not just a good tuning for multi-core, for PC's it's about tuning it for multi-core while maintaining acceptable performance on older machines. 360 only games specifically developed for the 360 will have the advantage, but these will take time as well (again, at least another year in my opinion).
February 13, 2006 1:23:37 PM

Go to gametrailer.com...it should be on the main page..its called farcry-instincts xbox 360 or something, and it does a split screen, theres a whole lot of difference in graphics. and the 360 is able to hook up to a computer monitor for a measley 40 bucks. The only game i play online, is counter strike, so im not really worried about playing online. Im basing my decision of what to do with hte fact that if the 360 has support of a keyboard and mouse, and when i went searching around to see if you could use it, no one knows.... For example take the unreal 3 engine, im sure most graphics cards today can RUN it....but i want it to run it, perfectly, like a consol would.
February 13, 2006 9:21:53 PM

hey a couple of guys i spoke with at eb games said to expect the 360 to support a keyboard and mouse in the very near future!!!!!!!
February 13, 2006 9:31:49 PM

yah i was ready something that said since it can support usb, writes for video games for the 360 have to enter the scripts into the video to recognize it, so only certain games, or possibly alot of games for 360, will use keyboard mouse.
February 14, 2006 6:38:36 AM

Quote:
Q4 is a (mostly) single threaded game, and it cannot utilize the 360 multi core as it should. Given the time it took to develop the Doom3 engine, you can bet on it not being multi core prepared.

Wasnt it THG that did some test with Dual Core / Dual CPU / Mono CPU
on some games like BF2 D3 Etc Etc Etc a few weeks ago ?

And that showed that the D3/Q4 Engine did support multiCPU ?
February 14, 2006 8:45:33 AM

I would be much obliged if you could link me up to that article because I haven't read it and I can't find it (that quickly, just did a search on all of Tom's sites with "dual core test" and the article didnt come up, or I didn't recognize it as such. I found no specific single vs multi core comparison at least)
February 15, 2006 3:45:27 PM

You also have to look not only at the specs on paper but what they can do right now. PC gamer did an interview with John carmack and he stated specifically that a dual core cpu on the PC is MUCh faster than the tripple core on the 360, he said that the only way the powerpc could could even get close to a PC process is through extensive optamization and even then it would still not be quite as fast. Also consider the new grpahics cards. Ati's X1800's are not as powerful as their xbox chip, but the 1900's are MUCH more powerful, run in crossfire and you have 2.5x as much graphic processing power and the xbox has only been out for a few months. by next year or two the standard gaming pc will have about the same hardware as the 360 or PS3 and the high end will be multiple times as powerful. This is how the cycle goes every single time. Same thing happened with the Xbox original. I have played the 360 on a samsung LCD HD tv, it looks good, but its nothing superior to what my 6800 GT can do in HL2 Lost Coast with HDR on at 1280x1024. So when push comes to shove, the 360 is not as good as it sounds, and certainly less reliable than a PC in terms of hardware. Everybody i know that has an xbox since it came out has replaced it once or twice already, and that's not doing any mods. Plus you can't do much else other than game, and modding is much more limited. HL2 has so many mods, some of which don't look anything like a FPS game, the possibilites are limitless. Its the same cycle every time, the next gen consoles catch up to PC or surpass for a year or two, but then as computers become more advanced, the average PC is just as fast with high end PC's being multiple times as fast. If you like it so much, buy one. I have an Xbox, PS2 and a PC, but my PC will always be my favorite, you can simply do alot more with the games, especially online, don't forget that there is yearly fees for online play on 360 as well ontop of your internet service.
February 15, 2006 9:36:49 PM

that all is true...how ever, when i play call of duty maxed out at 1280x1024 on my computer, with a 7800 gtx fx 55 2 gigs of ram,you can see a loss of frames in certain parts of the game, granted they arnt huge framelosses, but noticable..something that the 360 does not allow to happen. so how can it be twice the graphical power than the 360? and since im a graphics junkie, and the smoother the better to me, it just seems like the consols have taken over....for now that is. i understand that Pc get more and more advanced...but..i would be saying that a year or 2 ago...not really right now. just because the fact that, i cannot see graphics in games getting any better than they already are..i mean look at the new stuff coming around, it looks insane that are coming out for both pc and the 360...but it will cost over a grand moost likely more to get the smoothness in the games like the 360.
February 15, 2006 10:30:48 PM

Quote:
You also have to look not only at the specs on paper but what they can do right now. PC gamer did an interview with John carmack and he stated specifically that a dual core cpu on the PC is MUCh faster than the tripple core on the 360, he said that the only way the powerpc could could even get close to a PC process is through extensive optamization and even then it would still not be quite as fast. Also consider the new grpahics cards. Ati's X1800's are not as powerful as their xbox chip, but the 1900's are MUCH more powerful, run in crossfire and you have 2.5x as much graphic processing power and the xbox has only been out for a few months. by next year or two the standard gaming pc will have about the same hardware as the 360 or PS3 and the high end will be multiple times as powerful. This is how the cycle goes every single time. Same thing happened with the Xbox original. I have played the 360 on a samsung LCD HD tv, it looks good, but its nothing superior to what my 6800 GT can do in HL2 Lost Coast with HDR on at 1280x1024. So when push comes to shove, the 360 is not as good as it sounds, and certainly less reliable than a PC in terms of hardware. Everybody i know that has an xbox since it came out has replaced it once or twice already, and that's not doing any mods. Plus you can't do much else other than game, and modding is much more limited. HL2 has so many mods, some of which don't look anything like a FPS game, the possibilites are limitless. Its the same cycle every time, the next gen consoles catch up to PC or surpass for a year or two, but then as computers become more advanced, the average PC is just as fast with high end PC's being multiple times as fast. If you like it so much, buy one. I have an Xbox, PS2 and a PC, but my PC will always be my favorite, you can simply do alot more with the games, especially online, don't forget that there is yearly fees for online play on 360 as well ontop of your internet service.

you know theres this key on the right hand side of your keyboard, it has an arrow on it pointing left, try using it once in a while i cant read your post lol.
February 16, 2006 5:50:08 AM

Quote:
you know theres this key on the right hand side of your keyboard, it has an arrow on it pointing left, try using it once in a while i cant read your post lol.

I tried that with this reply but every time I hit that key the character I just typed disappeared? 8O

O wait... there's two keys that fit your description. Now, lemme see .. :roll:
February 16, 2006 7:19:04 AM

There's
to
be
precise.
February 16, 2006 7:17:49 PM

Quote:
I tried that with this reply but every time I hit that key the character I just typed disappeared?

Classic! Too funny.

Consoles vs other consoles vs PC has been around since the beginning of gaming. I agree with the other posts that PCs and consoles keep leapfrogging each other, but you will keep your gaming PC up to date anyway, right? If you have the money to buy dual 7800's, why not keep buying the newest thing? There will always be a new GPU or CPU or Console out there. If you can afford it, buy them as they come out, sell the old stuff on ebay. If you bought the 360, would you sell your computer because you will never play another game on it? Probably not. Try the 360. If you like it, keep using it. If you don't, sell it. You will still have your computer. If a game comes out that you MUST PLAY, and it's better on 360, it'll be worth it. If it's better on PC, play it there. Seems like that's how it's always been. Get the equipment to play the game, not have the equipment and see what you can play.

Don't know if that made much sense.
February 17, 2006 9:08:04 AM

Quote:

I tried that with this reply but every time I hit that key the character I just typed disappeared? 8O

O wait... there's two keys that fit your description. Now, lemme see .. :roll:

:? and wolfy is right theres 4, the enter key, backspace, the left arrow key and the left arrow key on the numpad....i just assumed you knnew which one i meant :p 
February 17, 2006 12:04:01 PM

Consoles are fun, but I've already seen the 360 choke on a couple of games. Someone above me noted Q4. Unreal 2007 footage on the 360 looks really bad once a couple of enemies get on screen. Developers are already maxing out its capabilities, and its only been out a couple of months.
I know a PC is 4 or 5 times the money (if you're cutting edge, which I'm not), but why not get a machine that can do everything else, too? Nothing better than a LAN party anyway. :D 
For a bit of work and less than $300 you can get a pretty decent machine. That's less than an Xbox.
A little disjointed this morning, sorry.
February 17, 2006 1:17:35 PM

there's 5 the F1 key also
February 17, 2006 1:51:14 PM

What weirdo Keyboard have you got that has an arrow on the F1 key. Also it was the right side of the keyboard.
February 17, 2006 1:56:03 PM

ok even considering my windows keyboard the tab key also has an arrow to the left
February 17, 2006 8:51:13 PM

Enough already! He wanted more carriage returns in the post! A funny joke was made! I could write a program to make every key be recognized as an arrow, or I could buy a bunch of old keyboards and replace all of the keys with arrow keys. Who cares how many arrow keys are on the keyboard?! C'mon people!

Anyone with a 360 have an absolute killer experience with it? All I've heard are PC guys who have seen problems or read about problems online. I'm a PC guy myself, but anyone actually get one (hard as that may be right now) and have a good experience or bad experience? Most of the games mentioned were probably ports of the single-thread PC version of the games to a way different set of hardware. I doubt they are exceeding the limits of the hardware yet, since I don't think they have rewritten the code to balance the game processing load between multiple threads.
February 18, 2006 2:40:02 AM

You cant upgrade a x-box but you have gameplay for the next 4 years.
February 18, 2006 11:34:59 PM

Well, as far as the 360 not going below 30 fps, that is not true. Have you even played the 360? I have, i do not own one, got an xbox, ps2 and 2 gaming pc's. But my buddie has a 360 and i played it in the store on a samsung 22' wide screen HD tv. I played King Kong and Quake 4. Both looked amazing. But not better than my PC games, even older games like HL2 Lost Coast, that looks better than both combined and HL2 engine is more than a year old already. Quake 4 ran like CRAP on the 360, it was VERY glitch compared to my PC version of Q4, and looked no different, if not slightly less "crisp", but that's becuase it was made to run on PC's, which have several advantages, one of which is memory. COD2 didn't run any better or look any better on the 360 than it does on my buddies 7800GTX system. It does NOT run AA nor have the glow affect. I turned off the glow affect on my buddies 7800 GTX system and it ran the same framerates through the whole game. I had no frame rates below 33 fps accordig to FRAPS. So, maybe if you turn your res to 1600x1200 and 4xaa, 16xaniso it would have big frame rate dips, but your not even comparing apple to apples then, try running like the Xbox 360 would and you'll get about the same frame rates. Also consider the new 1900XTX from ATI, its FASTER than the 360's version which as 48 unified vertex and pixel shaders, while the PC version has 48 shaders and 16 pixel pipelines, so that significantly more rendering power, run it in Crossifire that's 2.5x the rendering power of the 360, and its only been out for a couple moths. Also look at the interview with John Carmack. He stated that a modern high end PC dual core is significantly faster than a 360's tripple core, and that through extensive optamization it will only start to come close the a PC processor's power. Its just not that insane of a system any more. It was last year when the specs were released, the fastest system was 2 6800 Ultra's, FX-55 cpu, but that's drastically changed now. Today's Super gaming rigs will be common in two years, so the average gaming PC will be competing with the 360 and the high ende will be several orders of magnitude more powerful. But I still am going to get one, not becuase its the best graphics, but because it has some good games. But I will also keep my PC, so that way i can have the best games on each platform.
February 20, 2006 10:12:25 PM

it runs AA at only 2x...and has the hdr effect....havnt you seen screen shots of new games on the 360, or trailers? half hte games have the glow effect.
February 21, 2006 8:00:42 PM

I view consoles as tweaked gaming rigs. As a few have stated before me, they tend to look better than PCs for about a year, and that's it. You have to take into account that PC games are made for a vastly larger hardware array as opposed to consoles, where every gamer has the same setup. This allows designers to fine tune their software a bit more. However the PC eventually over shadows the console, just because of it's raw power.

I personally am going to wait for the Revolution, not because I'm a fanboy, but simply because it seems to be offering up a new gaming experience. The 360 and the PS3 are just next gen systems, something my PC can easily match. The concepts behind the Revolution are something that no one has seemingly fathomed for PC gaming.

If I were you, I would look at not what hardware is superior, because that will be constantly changing, instead look at what will have the highest level of originality and replay value.
March 13, 2006 10:14:03 AM

Quote:
I view consoles as tweaked gaming rigs. As a few have stated before me, they tend to look better than PCs for about a year, and that's it.....

... And their major advantage is that they are so cheap and totally standard, making online a much more even experience. Microsoft are currently subsidising you to play their console - how cool is that? And when sony come along the PS3 they will do the same.

Of course the constant evolution of PC`s will always win in the end. In 4 years the 360 will look very stale. But I got bored of constantly updating my PC hardware just to play games. The standardised approach that is forced by the console platform is a big benefit, IMHO.

Get a cheap PC for surfing, and a console for gaming. Alternativley spend thousands on the ultimate PC and watch it depreciate through the floor....
March 13, 2006 4:27:57 PM

That´s bullshit to say that a 360 is better than a computer!
With the xbox at the resolution of 640x you can get your 7800 and put it at the same resolution, and conect it into a tv, with the antialising and anisotropics, even higher then the one´s in the 360. Buy a joystick and you´re done.

Really the 360´s farcry is better looking, but roll it on a pc screen and you´see it is crap!!!
March 13, 2006 7:16:49 PM

I consider consoles as specialized computers. For the most part, they "only" do games. I don't like the idea having to go to another device just to play games. I like to do everything on one thing, my computer.
Someone mentioned that games are already fully using the 360's hardware. That is not true, the game is single threaded and only using 1 core. There are still 2 cores to go, and as someone mentioned, 1 core from the 360 is weaker than 1 core from PC.
The problem with any console is that it can't be upgraded. Therefore it's very limited. The only thing that's good about this is that developers know exactly the limits on the console, and the limits don't change unless it's modified.
Someone said that PCs and Consoles keep leap frogging each other. I think it's more like consoles just keep trying to leap, and they do, but fall back shortly after. PCs are constantly getting better and better where as a console is the same. Therefore, it's only the console that leap frogs the PC but the PC just keeps going its own better and better path.
Also, a good thing to point out, there are no graphics settings on consoles. On computers there are, and it's possible to go even higher by forcing the graphics through drivers such as Catalyst for ATi cards. I have done this with The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind by setting Anti-Aliasing at 6X and Anisotropic Filtering to 16X and it looked much smoother and clearer. So, if a game comes out for both PC and Console, the PC version can be made to have more eye candy.
Oh, and just wait for DX10 cards to come out this year, with DX10 games, and then quad cores in 2007. Then consoles will still be stuck with what they came out with.
All I will conclude is that consoles should be only bought for if you're on a budget, you like having your friends come over and play, or if the game you really want only comes out for consoles. Other than that, if you really want to enjoy your games, stick with the PC.
March 13, 2006 8:04:10 PM

I think the consoles are cool but their pretty limited and not upgradable. Yeah maybe because it cost a fraction of a decent gaming rig. But with a computer you can do pretty everthing other than gaming. But I think they should get more games for pc that are consoles, it would be cool. I don't have the 360 but Im buying the PS3 to play a couple of games.
March 14, 2006 7:58:44 AM

The argument seems to be "PC`s are more expensive, but theyre multi purpose machines" - thats not a valid argument. Everybody has a PC, regardless of whether its a top end gaming rig costing thousands, or whether its a cheap machine for surfing and email. So to argue that your high end PC can also do other things that your xbox can`t is irrelevant. Nearly every household which has a console also has a home computer.

The questrion should be::

Is the cost of buying a top end gaming rig + keeping it updated with new graphics cards etc. worth it, compared to the cost of a next gen console + low end PC or laptop?
March 14, 2006 9:07:20 AM

Quote:
yes

Most people who have moved out of their parents house have more important things to spend their money on than the latest $500 graphics card every 6 months...

If you did a proper analysis based on cost vs benefit then for 95% of normal gamers, consoles are clearly the best option. I don`t doubt that the geeks in this forum make up other 5% :wink:
March 14, 2006 10:32:54 AM

Quote:
yes

Most people who have moved out of their parents house have more important things to spend their money on than the latest $500 graphics card every 6 months...

If you did a proper analysis based on cost vs benefit then for 95% of normal gamers, consoles are clearly the best option. I don`t doubt that the geeks in this forum make up other 5% :wink:

For me, it's more to do with the types of games available on the PC. I can't imagine playing Championship Manager on an XBox, nor can I foresee a great number of RTS or TBS games being released for consoles.

The only reason I'd buy a console is for Pro Evo because I've yet to find a PC dual analogue controller that works perfectly. But there's no way I'm paying several hundred quid for one game!
March 14, 2006 10:44:14 AM

Quote:

For me, it's more to do with the types of games available on the PC. I can't imagine playing Championship Manager on an XBox, nor can I foresee a great number of RTS or TBS games being released for consoles.

Totally agree. If youre into a genre of games which the consoles don`t support well, then the choice is already made for you.
March 14, 2006 12:29:00 PM

It also depends on what other tasks you're doing on your PC anyways. I'm doing quite some video encoding lately as well as picture editing. That means I already need a reasonable good rig in order to get that done in a reasonable timeframe. In keeping it also uptodate with a high mid-end GPU, I'm not making unreasonable expenses I think.

If you only use your PC for emailing, web browsing or posting on forums I guess it's a different proposition.

I agree with Scoob101 that you need to look at the total value proposition for all the tasks that you want to do with your PC and your console in order to come to a price optimal decision. And not only for the spur of the moment either, but the value proposition on a yearly basis for instance.

Once you've made your informed decision you can only pray that the publishers are not going to wreak havok by releasing your favorite games on exclusive platforms (obviously always in conflict with the technology choice you made previously).
March 14, 2006 3:20:38 PM

You don't need to shell-out $500+ every 6 months, unless you have an upgrade fetish or something. A medium PC from a couple years ago(A64 3000+) with a new, decent ~$250ish video card will play all of today's games just fine and most of tomorrow's as well. A mainstream PC in a year, a year and a half (something like Conroe or K8L with the next gen mainstream-to-hi-end card) will beat the 360 into the dust.

The PC is always going to be more powerful - a console can't hope to compete on the power front - but a well-designed console with gaming firmly in mind will still beat the PC: it's about the games and the experience. Just compare the PSP and DS to see what I mean.
March 14, 2006 3:43:50 PM

Quote:
A medium PC from a couple years ago(A64 3000+) with a new, decent ~$250ish video card will play all of today's games just fine and most of tomorrow's as well.

Indeed. I built my rig this time last year based around an A64 3000 and a vanilla 6800 with 1Gb of RAM. The complete system, including case and decent PSU, HDD etc was about £800. It's still capable of running all my new games (including my current fave: X3, which is quite graphics intensive) at high detail and at least 1024 resolution (which is fine for me on my 17" CRT).

I'll stick another 1Gb of RAM in soon (which will only cost £50 for the Geil value sticks I already have) to cope with the huge levels of some new games and that should last me until the end of the year at least. I might need to buy a new card in 2007, but I should think a 7900 will be fine - and they'll probably be well under £200 by then (I may even get a few quid by selling my 6800).

Spending thousands of pounds on top-of-the-line kit is fine if you have the cash and like having drool-inducing 3DMark scores, but it isn't necessary to obtain a satisfactory gaming performance.
March 14, 2006 8:25:40 PM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, no fan boys here, i want honest opinion, i dont care if you have a 3000 dollar pc or a 360, give honest opinions. I have a killer gaming computer 2x7800 and all. But i was just thinking, i spend SO much on my computer to get superior graphics for video games...and i jst wonder..."why not just get a 360" ( i dont care if you think consols suck, im a huge pc fan and always hated consols, but it looks pretty killer with NO slow downs" why would i want to spend 580 bucks on the latest graphics card when i can buy a 360 for the same price? it just dawned on my now looking at a trailer with a split screen of the pc's version of farcry, and 360's version, and the 360, shamefully, looks a shitload better. Id buy a 360.....but...iv never gotten a straight answer..if you can use a keyboard and mouse yet..does anyone know? the only games i play are fps's...so theres no way il want to use a controller again. But 3000 bucks for a gaming computer, when the 360 has the graphics i want. and since im picky, i hate slow downs, and if theres one thing i hate, is seeing loss of frames in video games....so if anyone knows , does the 360 accept mouse and keyboard? whats your opinions on the 360 vs a high end pc?-jim

Well, to my knowledge, the Xbox 360, oddly enough, does not have any support for standard mice and keyboards, in spite of having standard USB 2.0 ports there. It seems that the reason lies in the fact that the console's drivers/controllers/firmware does not include any code to use anything but standard Xbox 360 input devices. I do not know why, but this is what the case is.

As for other things, the Xbox 360, as it currenty stands, would equate to a PC one could build, if you shopped frugally, for around $800US. With time, it appears that game developers might be able to get double the power out of the GPU that they can today, and in the end, use all three cores, rather than one, getting performance, it seems (according to engine maker John Carmack) the equivalent of three 1.6GHz Pentium 4s. Not stunningly spectacular, but easily more than enough for what most games (particularly FPS titles) will actually need in even the next 5 years or so. (unfortunately, it appears that all of the CPU power is used right off in The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, but few, if any, games will be like that) The main plus side of the processor, anyway, was that it was well-equipped to handle any sort of software emulation with ease; since emulation is in-order rather than out-of-order like actual games are, the processor would be one of the few chips adept at running original Xbox games, which frankly required a decent enough CPU power on their own, even without emulation overhead tossed on.

As for spending money, I think it generally a bad idea to spend substantially more money on a hardware platform than on the games you're going to run on it. PCs can remove SOME of their costs becasue you might be doing non-game tasks, but make no mistake that the money you're dumping into video cards is not going to be useful for anything but gaming. If you merely want to play a couple of games and have them look great/run great at the same time, and it's perhaps $100-200US is all that you're spending on said games, you'd likely be best off spending $400US for an Xbox 360, (if you can find one for sale, that is) than dumping $3,000US on an "uber-rig." Sure, such a machine would tear through a stack of Xbox 360 consoles, but for what purpose? You'd likely wind up getting little to nothing more out of it than with the console.

Again, the only possible qualm one might have with the Xbox 360 is its mysterious lack of input device support; Microsoft will probably realize how unwise this is, (likely after the launch of Nintendo's Revolution, which will reportedly support ANY input device, including all Nintendo older console controllers, PC devices, and even support wired Xbox 360 controllers out of the box) and will almost certainly rectify this problem. I mean, you can already hook the console up to a PC monitor, since, as I recall, it has a standard VGA port. (but no DVI, HDMI, or other digital output... Strange)

There's little reason, in my opinion, to spend loads of money on hardware in the first place; I built my machine nearly two years ago, and for less than $800US, (not including monitor, which I've re-used) and it will easily handle today's, and tomorrow's, games. (Athlon64 2800+ OC'ed to 2.0GHz, 1GB DDR400@ 444MHz, X800XT AGP @stock) People should either get a REASONABLE PC, or get an Xbox 360. Both will actually provide effectively the same performance, and provide you with ample enough options for later.

Lastly, I'd like to point out that the appearance of most Xbox 360 games depends almost entirely on the display used for them. You'd get just as good appearance if you, for instance, ran the PC version of the game on an HDTV. On the flip side, I've walked in to look at Xbox 360 displays running stupidly on LCDTVs at the wrong resolution, and with horrible refresh rates; the game looked HORRIBLE. So if you have an Xbox 360, or plan on getting one, please, for the love of (insert your favorite diety's name here), get a properly set-up HDTV to play it on! They aren't all that expensive, and will out-last your console, and make worlds of difference; it's like upgrading your PC from that cheap GMA 900 to even a $100US card like a GeForce 6600GT or Radeon X1600pro.

I think the moral of this rant is, that you should just make sure to spend money on the right things, and you'll get a great gaming experience. And do remember what the base word of "gaming" is.
March 15, 2006 7:02:46 AM

Quote:

Well, to my knowledge, the Xbox 360, oddly enough, does not have any support for standard mice and keyboards, in spite of having standard USB 2.0 ports there. It seems that the reason lies in the fact that the console's drivers/controllers/firmware does not include any code to use anything but standard Xbox 360 input devices. I do not know why, but this is what the case is.

Its fair to say this was a marketing decision, and not a technical one. Microsoft want to keep its console distinct from the PC form (even though under the hood, that basically what it is). Understandable I guess.

The xbox 360`s current lack of digital high def output is mystifying. One MS spokesman said that they would make one available "when it makes sense". What thats supposed to mean and why it doesn`t make sense today, lord only knows. For now VGA is the best connectivity option.

One trick up the 360`s sleeve which hasn`t been discussed here is its ability to act as a media centre extender. I liked this functionality so much, it made me purchase a legit copy of Win XP media centre. I now have all my digital photos, music and home video served up through living room home cinema system rather than stuck on the PC upstaris. It also offers limited internet connectivity (reuters and BBC news services are excellent).
April 10, 2006 6:03:18 AM

Why do these people keep saying you need to buy a $500 graphics card every 6 months? I have an X800 Pro and run Oblivion at full settings without HDR becuase it can't be enabled. Not only that, I used the Omega drivers to force it to run in 16X Anisotropic. It does however become very choppy out in the forest in Oblivion, but I can overclock, which I did, but overheated and froze 2 times. Just need to get my watercooling back into working order and I should be fine. So, you don't need super computers to play games at max, so I don't know where all of you console fan boys are getting this information about needing top of the line cards.
As a side note, you could get $500 cards every 6 months for free or for a small fee by simply finding a buy that will buy your card from 6 months ago (that's if you bought the card for as cheap as possible on the internet).
To the original poster, that trailer with the split screens, what computer did they use? What settings did they use, did they force using the driver on the PC version? Was the feeds from both computer and 360 both going into an capture device or was it video taped from 2 different medians, such as the 360 off a HDTV and the PC off LCD? Because, after all, it could have been a $500 Dell on an LCD and a 360 on a HDTV, and that's not a comparison at all, but more of a joke. Also, I think your rig is just as good if not better. Do you use NVidia's ForeWare or Omega modded NVidia drivers, it allows you to make an application run at certain graphics settings even thought the game doesn't (so you can achieve more eye candy than is normally possible).
April 10, 2006 4:11:44 PM

I saw the same comparison cuz it was on G4 and the 360 one did look a lot lot better but take note the the 360 version is a newer game and the one on the PC is older and they could do the same thing with a PC if they sat down and made up a whole new game
April 29, 2006 2:40:53 AM

My opinion only :D  I game with my pc and xbox 360 and am about to integrate them. PC technology has been andvancing extreamly fast in the past year or so. I am just about done maxing out my kv8pro mother board. I think ill stop there and watch the pc industry until they slow down. I want to know whats going to be the main stream if you catch my drift. From what i have read and experienced with my xbox360 its a pretty powerful computing device. surround sound,movies,music,online gaming,internet surfing and more when integrated with my computer. Xbox360 is the ultimate graphics card/console right now. Ill probably get a ps3 when they come out. Im sure the PC will advance far beyond the XBOX360 and the soon PS3. Keeping up with PC technology is never ending battle. Unless your making money from building PC's this is a good place to take a break and watch what happens. My opinion only of course.
September 12, 2006 4:37:48 AM

Quote:
Keeping up with PC technology is never ending battle. Unless your making money from building PC's this is a good place to take a break and watch what happens. My opinion only of course.

Wanna few garbage bags full with popcorn while u wait?
Might be awhile. 8O

PCs will always the way, and you dont have to buy a $3000 computer.
Sounds like a Mac.
Jus build yourself a rig for around $700, $900.
Now we have PCI-Express , AM2/Better Memory controller handlin, Dual Core processing, 64Bit computing (Chugging along), and throw 2 $260 Geforce 7900 GTs in SLI mode and that's it. Even 1 7900 is enough.
Anonymous
January 28, 2009 11:12:28 PM

I actually built my own pc for around 400 bucks (price of 360 with all bells and whistles). my pc is able to run every thing i've thrown at it maxed out. I really have no opinon when it comes to the 360. I see the pc as a higher capable platform with flexibility. the pc is a muli-use system unlike a game console, although Xbox Live is awesome =P. but Pc has many other options that are free compared to paying for a service. In the long run you'd spend more cash on a 360 than pc. I really see no purpose in getting a 360 when the same games are released on the PC (most 360 games are more expensive+XBL+possible red ring of death+extra controllers etc will run you more overall)

Intel core 2 duo 2.7 wolfdale core 3mb L2 cache 45nm tech. Nvidia Geforce 9500gt. 4gb ddr2 dual channel ram. coupled with win xp pro 64bit.
January 29, 2009 6:49:35 AM

Might have been a fairer comparison if you had purchased components in 2006 for $400.
January 29, 2009 2:39:23 PM

On the point of price, people forget that you have to have computer anyway for other tasks. So, it is not fair to say that you need $800 for gaming PC. No! You need only $200 extra today to buy PC which will excel at gaming at much higher levels than any console. It is actually CHEAPER than console, and you can spend another $200 in 2 or 3 years and get new video card which will be superior to any video card we have today. That, plus no extra money for things like XBox live, $100 wi-fi card, more expensive games.

So, overall, having general purpose computer with upgrades for gaming is cheaper than having general purpose computer AND 360, (and I can argue that for 360 you may have to add at least portion of the price of HDTV, becasue if you do not have HDTV, then gaming on STV with 360 is so much inferior than that on PC)
June 3, 2009 12:29:45 AM

8x Antialiasing & 16xQ Anisotropic filtering OR HDR bloom effect someone? when the xbox can render that, gimme a call.. no console can beat an Intel i7 quadcore + GTX 260 216 superclocked :sarcastic: 
December 30, 2010 1:21:25 PM

I really don't hope that they willl add mouse and keyboard support on the xbox... I mean... what's the point of it? Consoles are pretty much for the ones who are either lazy and needs to sit in a couch all day, a fanboy, or one who doesn't own a lot of money. I mean...It doesnt sound right! PC should have it's advantages since it costs three times or more for a good computer than an xbox!
December 30, 2010 6:30:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!