Overclocking nightmare, Need help to fix damages

Junkcollector

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Help Me!!

I have reduced my hardware to the following

A7V rev. 1.02 no sound mobo (auto detect volt and cpu, no jumper setting)
duron 600 remove pencil marks (but was stable at 950 air cool w/ global win)
generic ram
spare pci video card (to output video only for testing)
floppy drive is also connected

Here's what happened ...
I was trying to overclock my duron 600 pencil unlocked to the magical 1 Ghz (for some it is still a goal) using a peltier (using a separate AT power supply). I turned on and off, my computer a couple of times with peltier connected to the 5V line. The temps were still high so I connected it to the 12V line. Thats when trouble hit, for some reason it wouldn't boot. Okay, I bump the peltier back to 5V and still having no boot. After an hour, I gave up. Went online to buy a bios chip and just installed it today. I reduce my hardware to what is listed above.

Here is what I get on my screen using the old and the new bios chip, exactly as I see it.

Award BootBlock Bios v1.0
Copyright (c) 1995, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media...
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

At least with this screen, I know my cpu is working ( I think ). I download AFLASH and the latest bios A7V1010.AWD onto a floppy and press enter.

After pressing enter, you get the standard screen where it is this is the ASUS bios flash memory .... on and on. Where it states "current bios", all I see is #@$& %^$%^ * ^ $^$#^$^$!@@!@#$%. Not thinking too much, I flash the bios successfully. Boot the computer and the cycle starts over again. This applies for the old bios chip and the new bios chip i just got today. The new bios chip was already programmed with the a7v1010 bios.

Any help would really be greatly appreciated

junkcollector888@yahoo.com - If I knew how to post pictures, I would, email if you want to see the screen shot

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
With the Checksum error just reset the CMOS. There are two solderpads on the A7V. You just need to short them with the power off and disconnected, of course.

I'm curious about you Peltier escapade. You where trying to use a Peltier air cooled? What wattage peltier were you using? I believe peltiers are most efficient on 16 volts (read that somewhere). That means they are less than optimal using 12 volts. Probably less than 50% of norm when using 5 volts.

Power is a big concern with peltiers. A 75 watt peltier will draw 6.25 amps from the 12V line. A 150 watt peltier would draw 12.5. These same peltiers would draw 15 amps and 30 amps, respectively, from a 5 volt line. How much current is your power supply rated for on each of the voltage lines. For the higher wattage peltier that's more than the current available on a generic power supply. Nevermind trying to power the rest of the hardware.

Total heat is anoth issue. I'd be surprised if you can get it to work with an air cooler. Peltiers get very hot on the backside. A 75 watt peltier dumps that 75 watts of heat to the back side. Add to that the heat from a Duron 1000, about 50 watts. Add more watts because the peltier isn't 100% efficient. You're looking at attempting to dump maybe 150 watts worth of heat (I'm guessing) or about the equivalent of 3 Duron 1000's, through that air cooler . That's going to be one hot heatsink and one hot case interior!

<b>Update:
</b>Sorry. I missed the fact that you are using a separate power supply for the Peltier

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/22/02 10:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>