System Crashes for no apperant reason.

G

Hi.

I just bought my self a new computer 2 days ago and the troubbles started at once, and like the topic said for no apperant reason, my system configuration is:

Windows 2000
Abit KG7 Mainboard
Athlon XP 1800+
256 Mb PC 2100 Kingston DDR Memory (CAS 2.5)
Geforce 3

The problem is that when i tried to run the system with the original settings for an XP 1800+ the system crashed after about 2-5 minutes of usage or after about 15-50 sec when a 3D aplication is used.

*edit*
I first thought it was the temprature that caused it, so i hooked up 3 8cm fans to the chassi, so the temprature on the CPU is 38C-42C and the system temp is 28C-30C, i think that is quite good tempratures.
*/edit*

So i started to search some forums for people that have the same problem, and it seems that the Abit KG7 Mainboard is the component that cause the problem. It works better when i changed the FSB to 100 MHz, but then I ofcourse get a loss of prestanda.

I read somewhere that this could be fixxed by setting the CAS to 2.0 even though you use a memory that is made for 2.5.

So my questions here is as follows:

Can the DIMM get damaged if i change the CAS-setting?

Can the memory cause 3D-aplications to freeze or is this a problem with the graphicscard?

Anyone else had this problem who know any other way to figure this out?

I've just ordered an EpoX mainboard, and i can't get any refund for this Abit MB, so if there is a way to fix this i can cancel my order and save about $150, so i would be very greatfull for any help i can get.

Thanks in Advance
snox<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by snox on 03/23/02 07:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

saessy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
i had a similar problem with the asus a7v mobo and geforce2-card.
but my problem was that i forgot to install the 4in1 - driverset for the agp-chipset(via kt133). therefor my system crashed on every 3d application.
perhaps this helps.

G

I tried installing the 4in1 drivers and also to change the CAS to 2.0, still the same error though.

After running 3DMark 2001 for about 50 seconds (in the beginning of the third test) the computer freezes, and this is happening in all 3D-games to.

Thanks for the help though.

- snox

----

Death is certain, Life is not.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/kg7kr7faq.htm" target="_new">Paul's Unofficial Abit KG7-RAID and KR7A-RAID FAQ</A>

Here's an Excerpt that may help.

<font color=green><i>Why is my system unstable?

KG7 family only

A few KG7-RAID owners have reported that Athlon XP processors on the KG7 motherboard are unstable when using a FSB of 133, but stable if the BIOS settings are changed to "underclock" the FSB to 100. This can be resolved by increasing the CPU slew rate (Control CPU P/N value) in Advanced Chipset Features to the faster setting (6 or 7). Downgrading to BIOS 5E also resolves this issue. Some also need to reduce the DDR Vcc voltage to 2.52v.

The KG7-RAID runs the memory at 2.65v by default. Is your memory rated at 2.5v? If so, try lowering the DDR Vcc voltage. If this doesn't help, try increasing DDR Vcc voltage to 2.7v or 2.75v in SoftMenuIII!

Load the latest AMD AGP drivers - see drivers section</i></font color=green>

I seem to recall a lot of manufacturers' boards with the AMD 760 chipset had issues with the DDR voltage. Perform a search and you will see what I mean.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

G

Thanks for the link, I tried everything that was posted there, But even with lower voltage and "Super Bypass Wait State" set to one i can't achive stability with a FSB of 133MHz.

I'm not sure wether it is the mobo or the memory that cause this instability, any ideas?

And for the Geforce 3, i installed some other drivers for it wich makes it work better, but not good though, now i can run 3D applications for about 5-6 minutes instead of the 1 minute before, could the be caused by the memory or is it the graphicscard? since it works perfect in 2D application.

_____

Death is certain, Life is not.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think I see it. You're using Win2K. Try the AMD AGP/Win2K patch.

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_756_759^871^2367,00.html" target="_new">http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_756_759^871^2367,00.html</A>

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I tried installing the 4in1 drivers and also to change the CAS to 2.0, still the same error though.
Do not install <b><font color=red>VIA's AGP driver</font color=red></b> since your board using AMD's (install AMD's instead, should be in your mobo's CD).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This problem is normally caused by the power supply. Any person who would not suggest you check this first is a poor advice giver, since this is such a common problem. Also, running your memory at Cas2 instead of 2.5 won't hurt it, but could make it LESS stable.
First thing you need to do is check you voltage. You should have gotten a monitoring program on the motherboard CD, use it. If your voltage is low, or fluctuates when you start programs, your power supply is inadequate and must be addressed FIRST, before you can even find out if other problems exist!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am working with this same problem on my comp I think it is the power supply on my machine will let ya know when I change it

Leave a real <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq" target="_new">link</A>

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you also may wanna check out <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/kg7kr7faq.htm" target="_new">viahardware's</A> site for info about SB Live conflicts and problems

Leave a real <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq" target="_new">link</A>

genefromadams

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2002
I have two KG7 Raid's with XP1600's and 512 Mb of memory with Win98SE. My first ran ok for about a month or so and then it just started to shutdown and restart all by itself! This would happen even with no programs running. I changed power supplies and tried a whole bunch of BIOS setting changes and nothing helped. I also began to receive various memory error messages. I'm running two 256 Mb Micron PC2100 memory modules and removing one seemed to cure the problem. I tried new memory and it still wouldn't work with both modules installed.

Along the way, I bought a second motherboard and it wouldn't even boot from the hard drive with the default bios settings. I also bought a second processor and duplicated my card set and it wouldn't run right with two memory modules either. I was running 5w BIOS and I downgraded to 5e and that didn't help. Finally I Installed ABIT's "68" BIOS (from KG768.exe) and everything seems ok.

I can run two memory modules and both systems appear to be stable even with "enhanced" BIOS settings. I don't know if a BIOS upgrade will work in your situation but it sure helped my problems.

genefromadams