using second wgt624 as remote

dilligaf

is it possible to configue a second wgt624 to use as a wireless remote on a
network . eg; plug the 624 into the pc in place of a pci card or a usb
wireless ?
rgds

"Dilligaf" <tuskyone(remove)@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> is it possible to configue a second wgt624 to use as a wireless remote on
> network . eg; plug the 624 into the pc in place of a pci card or a usb
> wireless ?
> rgds
> --

It would be more appropriate to use a Wireless Bridge to setup a remote
wired LAN. Many Access Points can be configured as a Bridge.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:19:34 GMT, "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes
@yah00.com> wrote:

>"Dilligaf" <tuskyone(remove)@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> is it possible to configue a second wgt624 to use as a wireless remote on a
>> network . eg; plug the 624 into the pc in place of a pci card or a usb
>> wireless ?
>> rgds

>It would be more appropriate to use a Wireless Bridge to setup a remote
>wired LAN. Many Access Points can be configured as a Bridge.
>Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

See:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101236.asp
for notes on how to setup a Netgear wireless router as an access
point.

The big headache is that DHCP (broadcast) pass thru fails with some
routers (and some firmware versions).

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

dilligaf

Thankyou, a lttle more explanation, I have a WGT624 in use as a wireless
Router, I have access to another 624, i was wondering if I could use the 2nd
624 as a Wireless Access by connecting it to a PC on the network that has
LAN On Board , eg; get the Internet Access 624 to talk to the 2ND 624
connected to the LAN on the PC, now I'm confused,

anyhow Thanks

Rgds

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:19:34 GMT, "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes
> @yah00.com> wrote:
>
> >"Dilligaf" <tuskyone(remove)@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

com.au...
> >> is it possible to configue a second wgt624 to use as a wireless remote
on a
> >> network . eg; plug the 624 into the pc in place of a pci card or a usb
> >> wireless ?
> >> rgds
>
> >It would be more appropriate to use a Wireless Bridge to setup a remote
> >wired LAN. Many Access Points can be configured as a Bridge.
> >Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> See:
> http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101236.asp
> for notes on how to setup a Netgear wireless router as an access
> point.
>
> The big headache is that DHCP (broadcast) pass thru fails with some
> routers (and some firmware versions).

> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:42:44 +1000, "Dilligaf"
<tuskyone(remove)@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Thankyou, a lttle more explanation, I have a WGT624 in use as a wireless
>Router, I have access to another 624, i was wondering if I could use the 2nd
>624 as a Wireless Access by connecting it to a PC on the network that has
>LAN On Board , eg; get the Internet Access 624 to talk to the 2ND 624
>connected to the LAN on the PC, now I'm confused,

Nope. The WGT624 does not have a "client" radio mode. It can play
router, access point, or bridge, but not act as a client radio.

What you want is something called a "game adapter". Linksys WET11,
Netgear ME101, or Dlink DWL-810. These are the client part of a
transparent bridge. You can connect your "PC" to one of these
wireless bridges, client radio, game adapter, or whatever it's called
this week, and use it to connect to your existing WGT624. What the
dumbed down data sheets don't bother to tell you is that you can also
connect up to about 30 PC's to one of these (through an appropriate
ethernet switch). I suggest advertisting for a trade.

Incidentally, you can see what you're getting with the DWL-G810 using
the online emulator.
http://support.dlink.com/techtool/dwlg810/emulator/
I wished the other manufacturers would do something like this.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

dilligaf

Thankyou very much Jeff