using second wgt624 as remote

is it possible to configue a second wgt624 to use as a wireless remote on a
network . eg; plug the 624 into the pc in place of a pci card or a usb
wireless ?
rgds
More about using wgt624 remote

    "Dilligaf" <tuskyone(remove)@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

    > is it possible to configue a second wgt624 to use as a wireless remote on
    > network . eg; plug the 624 into the pc in place of a pci card or a usb
    > wireless ?
    > rgds
    > --

    It would be more appropriate to use a Wireless Bridge to setup a remote
    wired LAN. Many Access Points can be configured as a Bridge.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:19:34 GMT, "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes
    @yah00.com> wrote:

    >"Dilligaf" <tuskyone(remove)@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >> is it possible to configue a second wgt624 to use as a wireless remote on a
    >> network . eg; plug the 624 into the pc in place of a pci card or a usb
    >> wireless ?
    >> rgds

    >It would be more appropriate to use a Wireless Bridge to setup a remote
    >wired LAN. Many Access Points can be configured as a Bridge.
    >Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    See:
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101236.asp
    for notes on how to setup a Netgear wireless router as an access
    point.

    The big headache is that DHCP (broadcast) pass thru fails with some
    routers (and some firmware versions).

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Thankyou, a lttle more explanation, I have a WGT624 in use as a wireless
    Router, I have access to another 624, i was wondering if I could use the 2nd
    624 as a Wireless Access by connecting it to a PC on the network that has
    LAN On Board , eg; get the Internet Access 624 to talk to the 2ND 624
    connected to the LAN on the PC, now I'm confused,

    anyhow Thanks

    Rgds

    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:19:34 GMT, "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes
    > @yah00.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"Dilligaf" <tuskyone(remove)@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

    com.au...
    > >> is it possible to configue a second wgt624 to use as a wireless remote
    on a
    > >> network . eg; plug the 624 into the pc in place of a pci card or a usb
    > >> wireless ?
    > >> rgds
    >
    > >It would be more appropriate to use a Wireless Bridge to setup a remote
    > >wired LAN. Many Access Points can be configured as a Bridge.
    > >Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > See:
    > http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101236.asp
    > for notes on how to setup a Netgear wireless router as an access
    > point.
    >
    > The big headache is that DHCP (broadcast) pass thru fails with some
    > routers (and some firmware versions).

    > Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:42:44 +1000, "Dilligaf"
    <tuskyone(remove)@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    >Thankyou, a lttle more explanation, I have a WGT624 in use as a wireless
    >Router, I have access to another 624, i was wondering if I could use the 2nd
    >624 as a Wireless Access by connecting it to a PC on the network that has
    >LAN On Board , eg; get the Internet Access 624 to talk to the 2ND 624
    >connected to the LAN on the PC, now I'm confused,

    Nope. The WGT624 does not have a "client" radio mode. It can play
    router, access point, or bridge, but not act as a client radio.

    What you want is something called a "game adapter". Linksys WET11,
    Netgear ME101, or Dlink DWL-810. These are the client part of a
    transparent bridge. You can connect your "PC" to one of these
    wireless bridges, client radio, game adapter, or whatever it's called
    this week, and use it to connect to your existing WGT624. What the
    dumbed down data sheets don't bother to tell you is that you can also
    connect up to about 30 PC's to one of these (through an appropriate
    ethernet switch). I suggest advertisting for a trade.

    Incidentally, you can see what you're getting with the DWL-G810 using
    the online emulator.
    http://support.dlink.com/techtool/dwlg810/emulator/
    I wished the other manufacturers would do something like this.

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

    Thankyou very much Jeff

    > On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:42:44 +1000, "Dilligaf"
    > <tuskyone(remove)@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
    >
    > >Thankyou, a lttle more explanation, I have a WGT624 in use as a wireless
    > >Router, I have access to another 624, i was wondering if I could use the
    2nd
    > >624 as a Wireless Access by connecting it to a PC on the network that has
    > >LAN On Board , eg; get the Internet Access 624 to talk to the 2ND 624
    > >connected to the LAN on the PC, now I'm confused,
    >
    > Nope. The WGT624 does not have a "client" radio mode. It can play
    > router, access point, or bridge, but not act as a client radio.
    >
    > What you want is something called a "game adapter". Linksys WET11,
    > Netgear ME101, or Dlink DWL-810. These are the client part of a
    > transparent bridge. You can connect your "PC" to one of these
    > wireless bridges, client radio, game adapter, or whatever it's called
    > this week, and use it to connect to your existing WGT624. What the
    > dumbed down data sheets don't bother to tell you is that you can also
    > connect up to about 30 PC's to one of these (through an appropriate
    > ethernet switch). I suggest advertisting for a trade.
    >
    > Incidentally, you can see what you're getting with the DWL-G810 using
    > the online emulator.
    > http://support.dlink.com/techtool/dwlg810/emulator/
    > I wished the other manufacturers would do something like this.
    >
    > --
    > # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    > # 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    > # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    > # 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS

Wireless PCI Internet Wireless Networking