Errors on boot up or shortly after Windows is fully launched

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Hey guys,

I have been running my system for about 10 months now on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 without any issues and just recently I started hitting snags. The first instance of the issue was from a cold boot. I went to startup and the system got hungup just as you first see the windows logo. The system just stalled there and required a reset. It got hung up about 3 or 4 more times in almost the same exact spot: either just before or just after the windows logo.

I was finally able to reach my desktop and it seemed to run fine for the rest of the weekend, until this morning... The same issue started today so I did some more troubleshooting. If I tab to see the bootup details, I sometimes get hung up on detecting my hard disks. It is not all of the time though and I have not made any hardware changes in months. Finally, I made it back into windows again, launched Alien Swarm and the system crashed to desktop with a Media Player library error that read something like "Media Player has found an error while updating your library. You may continue to access your library but it may be corrupted." I had to restart the system as it was completely hung up. Upon restart, windows would no longer load and it kept telling me to insert my install disc and run a repair. I plan on doing that later today.

System Specs:
E8400 @ 4.2 GHz
Asus Rampage Extreme
8 GB OCZ Gold DDR3 13300
OCZ Vertex 64 GB SSD (OS Drive)
2x640GB Seagate Baracuda drives (no RAID)
620W Corsair PSU
nVidia GTX260

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Well the repair constantly fails but I believe I have found my issue after searching the error code 0cx000000e. It turns out that a power failure recently caused an issue between my computer and an external HDD. The boot table on my SSD (the OS drive) was moved over to the external and is now corrupted. The common fix seems to be disconnecting all other drives and trying the fix tool again. When I run the fix now, not only does it say that there are no issues with the boot, but it says the boot location is "unknown".

Sounds like a quick fix so I will try it as soon as I get home from work.

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Well, I had to format and do a re-install of windows 7 in the end. Luckily it was only my OS and some drivers on that SSD so it only took about 45 minutes from start to finish. I took the advice of most articles and I was sure to only have the one HDD connected while doing the install.

G

just had the same problem, booted with win 7 insallation disc, enter repair consoll then type 'fixmbr' to fix master boot record.