robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Did anyone try out DoD:Source last weekend during Valve's free offer? It took me a heck of a long time to download and I didn't really get around to giving it a good look. Any thoughts?
--Rob

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I like DoD Source as it seems to attract a more considered audience than CS (to generalise greatly) and there seems to be less crap going about the servers, from TK'ers to general scrappy tactics.

I'm also a fan of class-based games in general.

I know I wrote an article a little while back saying that I much prefer the open Battlefield type games to the more confined Counter-Strike's of this world, but DoD, in measured amounts, would be the exception to that rule.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Although I agree with Aaron's assessment of the communities that play the games, I prefer CounterStrike (Source) because I cannot get a real grip on the different player types that are there in DoD (same thing in BattleField2 btw). I prefer a level playing field.

That, and DoD makes me think about SoD and I hate it when that happens :roll:

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Did anyone try out DoD:Source last weekend during Valve's free offer? It took me a heck of a long time to download and I didn't really get around to giving it a good look. Any thoughts?
--Rob

I tryed but i coundnt download it keeped hanging on me

but i played it before and its great.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Although I agree with Aaron's assessment of the communities that play the games, I prefer CounterStrike (Source) because I cannot get a real grip on the different player types that are there in DoD (same thing in BattleField2 btw). I prefer a level playing field.

That, and DoD makes me think about SoD and I hate it when that happens :roll:

But in CS you have different weapons which is the same as DOD now. The only differences is the heavy weps guys run a small bit slower. Grew out of CS ages ago. I can't stand waiting for the map to finish anymore.

Have stopped playing BF2 as well..... Was just not interesting enough.

DoD is drawing me back tho. When I'm not playing Eve that is.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I avoid MMORPGs, I'm afraid they will hold too much of my attention.

Actually maybe I'll give Huxley a chance, some mindless shooting fun with 5000 other weirdo's simultaneously has some strange appeal to me.

CplBadboyUK

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
i downloaded the sostware demo only for the blasted thing not let me play saying somethinf about my authentiacation was not valid. dog poo was looking forward to it aswell, ah well its back to bf2