Calling while in Canada

I'm taking a vacation to Toronto this summer. Does anyone know if my LG VX
4400 will work there? Any idea on the rates?

I looked at the website and am still unclear about what my charges will be.

Thanks!
12 answers Last reply
More about calling canada

    "Scott" <scott@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > I'm taking a vacation to Toronto this summer. Does anyone know if my
    > LG VX 4400 will work there? Any idea on the rates?
    >
    > I looked at the website and am still unclear about what my charges
    > will be.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Since you will be in toronto, and that area is covered by North Americas
    Choice, rather than pay roaming charges of .69 per minute, change your plan
    for up to 30 days, from Americas Choice, to North Americas Choice (make sure
    you change it back before 30 days are up). It will cost a bit more per
    month, but no roaming charges.

    "Scott" <scott@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > I'm taking a vacation to Toronto this summer. Does anyone know if
    my LG VX
    > 4400 will work there? Any idea on the rates?
    >
    > I looked at the website and am still unclear about what my charges
    will be.

    > Thanks!

    ..69¢ a minute roaming and the carrier I believe is Telus or Bell
    Mobility I can't remember who has the service in that area.
    However when you dial 611 you will be speaking to a Verizon Wireless
    rep. Now figure that one out?

    Elector

    "Scott" <scott@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > I'm taking a vacation to Toronto this summer. Does anyone know if my LG
    VX
    > 4400 will work there? Any idea on the rates?
    >
    > I looked at the website and am still unclear about what my charges will
    be.

    > Thanks!

    Scott,

    I used a LG4400 in Toronto last summer. I had perfect coverage all the
    way from Windsor to Toronto. Roaming rates were $.69/min including long
    distance when you dialed to somebody. I didn't really use the phone that
    much so the roaming charges really weren't that high for me. I did not use
    VM or anything there, so I am not sure the the VM indicator would work or
    not. I have heard that there is "North America's Choice" plan out there.
    You have to be in specific markets though to get the plan from what I have
    understood. I have not seen it here in the MI market. With the NAC, you
    get no roaming or long distance charges while in Canada and the US. I
    believe you also get something along the lines of 1000 n/w minutes. You
    will loose your m2m option though.
    If you plan on using the phone just once ina while, it's probably not
    worth it to just switch for one month and then switch back. Your billing
    would get all messed up and you would probably be charged for any minutes
    that you have used up to that point for the night and weekends on your next
    bill. If you plan only using it once i a while, then just keep your plan
    and pay the roaming charges. you will save yourself headaches down the
    road from switching to one plan and then back to another.

    You can go to canada and use your phone without paying any roaming
    charges. It call National Single Rate with a 10.00 Canada Coverage add
    on. You will pay no long distance or roaming on or off the network
    while in the U.S. or Canada. Verizon does not like to talk about this
    plan because it cost them everytime you use your phone off the network.
    BEFORE WARNED, Verizon is contract happy, If you are currently on a
    promotion and changed plans, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR PROMO. If you want to
    switch back to one of the current plans, THEY WILL ADD A NEW CONTRACT
    TO YOUR ACCOUNT. They are not required to have you sign anything for
    this to happen. All you have to do is agree to the new plan and you a
    locked in. So be very careful about switching back and forth and if you
    are going to do it, but sure to go into a local store and have the rep
    prove to you that they are not going to tag you with another contract.

    --
    Wireless Guy

    The Cellphone Guy..
    http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t116954.html

    >"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Since you will be in toronto, and that area is covered by North Americas
    >Choice, rather than pay roaming charges of .69 per minute, change your plan
    >for up to 30 days, from Americas Choice, to North Americas Choice (make sure
    >you change it back before 30 days are up). It will cost a bit more per
    >month, but no roaming charges.

    PP:

    Does Q2N work up there?

    "Dapper Dave" <expurgated@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Since you will be in toronto, and that area is covered by North
    >> Americas Choice, rather than pay roaming charges of .69 per minute,
    >> change your plan for up to 30 days, from Americas Choice, to North
    >> Americas Choice (make sure you change it back before 30 days are
    >> up). It will cost a bit more per month, but no roaming charges.
    >
    > PP:
    >
    > Does Q2N work up there?

    Fraid I never tried it. Work pays for my ISP (earthlink), which had both a
    local number, and an 800 number. Since it was works dime, I used Direct Dial
    for data, and the cell for voice.

    Wireless Guy <Wireless.Guy.14mz02@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message news:<Wireless.Guy.14mz02@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>...
    > You can go to canada and use your phone without paying any roaming
    > charges. It call National Single Rate with a 10.00 Canada Coverage add
    > on. You will pay no long distance or roaming on or off the network
    > while in the U.S. or Canada. Verizon does not like to talk about this
    > plan because it cost them everytime you use your phone off the network.
    > BEFORE WARNED, Verizon is contract happy, If you are currently on a
    > promotion and changed plans, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR PROMO. If you want to
    > switch back to one of the current plans, THEY WILL ADD A NEW CONTRACT
    > TO YOUR ACCOUNT. They are not required to have you sign anything for
    > this to happen. All you have to do is agree to the new plan and you a
    > locked in. So be very careful about switching back and forth and if you
    > are going to do it, but sure to go into a local store and have the rep
    > prove to you that they are not going to tag you with another contract.

    Thanks for this post; I want to be sure I understand better.

    I am now on a local digital plan wghich expires in June--If I were to
    switch to an A/C plan, and then want to go back to my orginal local
    digital plan within 30 days--would this affect my old contract end
    date.--are you indicting there are gottcha's in the change back and
    forth.

    I have changed before on antoher plan, and other that techical
    glitches, the plan went back to the orginal plan terms and expire
    date--and a letter from verizon indicated most of this---but are there
    hidden problems which "30 day guarantee" doesn't cover?? thanks for
    your advise.

    plane@usa.com (plane) wrote in message news:<68a9acb2.0404131449.3bf239d0@posting.google.com>...
    > Wireless Guy <Wireless.Guy.14mz02@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message news:<Wireless.Guy.14mz02@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>...
    > > You can go to canada and use your phone without paying any roaming
    > > charges. It call National Single Rate with a 10.00 Canada Coverage add
    > > on. You will pay no long distance or roaming on or off the network
    > > while in the U.S. or Canada. Verizon does not like to talk about this
    > > plan because it cost them everytime you use your phone off the network.
    > > BEFORE WARNED, Verizon is contract happy, If you are currently on a
    > > promotion and changed plans, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR PROMO. If you want to
    > > switch back to one of the current plans, THEY WILL ADD A NEW CONTRACT
    > > TO YOUR ACCOUNT. They are not required to have you sign anything for
    > > this to happen. All you have to do is agree to the new plan and you a
    > > locked in. So be very careful about switching back and forth and if you
    > > are going to do it, but sure to go into a local store and have the rep
    > > prove to you that they are not going to tag you with another contract.
    >

    > Thanks for this post; I want to be sure I understand better.
    >
    > I am now on a local digital plan wghich expires in June--If I were to
    > switch to an A/C plan, and then want to go back to my orginal local
    > digital plan within 30 days--would this affect my old contract end
    > date.--are you indicting there are gottcha's in the change back and
    > forth.
    >
    > I have changed before on antoher plan, and other that techical
    > glitches, the plan went back to the orginal plan terms and expire
    > date--and a letter from verizon indicated most of this---but are there
    > hidden problems which "30 day guarantee" doesn't cover?? thanks for
    > your advise.

    To answer my own question, I called c/s after the post and was told
    that the orignal contract date would still be in affect, if the change
    were cancel withn 30 days--does this agree with your knowledge. In
    the past I have thought that I head one thing, only to find that
    another situation was really the truth??

    "Dapper Dave" <expurgated@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Since you will be in toronto, and that area is covered by North
    Americas
    > >Choice, rather than pay roaming charges of .69 per minute, change
    your plan
    > >for up to 30 days, from Americas Choice, to North Americas Choice
    (make sure
    > >you change it back before 30 days are up). It will cost a bit more
    per
    > >month, but no roaming charges.
    >
    > PP:
    >
    > Does Q2N work up there?

    Yes the Mobile Phone hooked via Mobile Office works. But at .69¢ a
    minute like it is for voice calls. Now if you were to use the hotels
    or "what ever place you were staying at insert here" many ISP's have
    local dial up numbers and I would just use a standard telephone line.

    Elector

    Thank you to everyone. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do. The plan
    I'm on AC1200 now has unlimited M2M vs. the 1,000 I get now. I'm not sure
    if by switching it'll extend my contract or not since I don't plan to move
    on anytime soon.

    Thanks again!

    "Wireless Guy" <Wireless.Guy.14mz02@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in
    message news:Wireless.Guy.14mz02@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...

    > You can go to canada and use your phone without paying any roaming
    > charges. It call National Single Rate with a 10.00 Canada Coverage add
    > on. You will pay no long distance or roaming on or off the network
    > while in the U.S. or Canada. Verizon does not like to talk about this
    > plan because it cost them everytime you use your phone off the network.
    > BEFORE WARNED, Verizon is contract happy, If you are currently on a
    > promotion and changed plans, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR PROMO. If you want to
    > switch back to one of the current plans, THEY WILL ADD A NEW CONTRACT
    > TO YOUR ACCOUNT. They are not required to have you sign anything for
    > this to happen. All you have to do is agree to the new plan and you a
    > locked in. So be very careful about switching back and forth and if you
    > are going to do it, but sure to go into a local store and have the rep
    > prove to you that they are not going to tag you with another contract.
    >

    > --
    > Wireless Guy
    >
    > The Cellphone Guy..
    > http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread:
    http://cellphoneforums.net/t116954.html

    Wireless Guy is not correct (close, but no cigar). It sounds
    like you get the general idea though. You can ask CS when
    you switch (or even just to consider it for later) explicitly if
    it will extend your contract and for how long.

    You can switch to any current plan at any time.

    If you are currently on a discontinued plan or a plan with
    discontinued promotions you will not be able to switch
    back *after 30 days* (ask, they may have changed this).
    Last time I switched plans from a discontinued plan I
    had the option, within 30 days, to revert back to my
    discontinued plan with my discontinued promotions.

    If you switch to any plan *with promotions* you will
    extend your contract for at least 1 year. If you are
    currently in the first year of a 2 year contract you
    don't have to extend your contract at all. You need
    to make this clear if you go this route. It seems their
    default is to simply restart your current contract period
    on the date you switch.

    Stuff like unlimited M2M instead of 1000 is usually a
    promotion. You have to ask before accepting.

    So what he said about switching back to one of the current
    plans is pretty much wrong.

    -Quick

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:21:33 -0500, Wireless Guy wrote:

    > You can go to canada and use your phone without paying any roaming
    > charges. It call National Single Rate with a 10.00 Canada Coverage add
    > on. You will pay no long distance or roaming on or off the network
    > while in the U.S. or Canada. Verizon does not like to talk about this
    > plan because it cost them everytime you use your phone off the network.

    I use this plan with great success in the US and Canada. You get fewer
    minutes than with the corresponding priced AC plan, but if you travel a lot
    you don't have to keep watching the roaming indicator on your phone. Those
    $.65/min roaming charges can add up fast.

Verizon LG Internet Service Providers