No connection trough WLAN-Router to LAN

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Hello

We have a bigger Problem in our WLAN:
As Router for the Internet-Access we use a Zyxel 652HW-Router. On this
Router we have 4 Workstation and 1 Printer which are connected with wires.
One Station is connected via Wireless (ZyAir USB B-220 Stick). Now our
Problem:

The Workstation which is connect with the AccessPoint of the Router can go
trough to the Internet, but has no connection to the other workstation or
to the printer of the LAN-Side. No Ping, no tracert going trough...nothing.
Even if i switch of the internal firewal of the zyxel.

What can i do? I want just to have access to the printer of the LAN-Side
(which is, as i mentioned above, connected directly to the router with
cable).

Any help would be great!

Thanks Thomas

Thomas <cybervir@cyber.com> wrote in

> Hello
>
> We have a bigger Problem in our WLAN:
> As Router for the Internet-Access we use a Zyxel 652HW-Router. On this
> Router we have 4 Workstation and 1 Printer which are connected with
> wires. One Station is connected via Wireless (ZyAir USB B-220 Stick).
> Now our Problem:
>
> The Workstation which is connect with the AccessPoint of the Router
> can go trough to the Internet, but has no connection to the other
> workstation or to the printer of the LAN-Side. No Ping, no tracert
> going trough...nothing. Even if i switch of the internal firewal of
> the zyxel.
>

> What can i do? I want just to have access to the printer of the
> LAN-Side (which is, as i mentioned above, connected directly to the
> router with cable).
>
> Any help would be great!

The FW on the router has nothing to do with computers being able to
access each other on the LAN or private side of the router. If the router
doesn't have a print server, how can you have a printer connected to the
router that's going to be doing any printing?

If you want to share resources between machines, then you'll need to
enable the MS File and Print Sharing services on all machines so that
they can communicate. If you want to print, then one of the machines must
have the printer connected to it so that the other computers can access
and share the printer on the computer over the LAN.

Google is your friend if you don't know how to set up a machine on a MS
O/S to share resources on the LAN. In addition to that, if you have FW(s)
on the computers, then they will need to be configured properly to allow
traffic between the machines behind the router.

Duane :)

Thomas wrote:

> Hello
>
> We have a bigger Problem in our WLAN:
> As Router for the Internet-Access we use a Zyxel 652HW-Router. On this
> Router we have 4 Workstation and 1 Printer which are connected with
> wires. One Station is connected via Wireless (ZyAir USB B-220 Stick).
> Now our Problem:
>
> The Workstation which is connect with the AccessPoint of the Router can
> go trough to the Internet, but has no connection to the other
> workstation or to the printer of the LAN-Side. No Ping, no tracert going
> trough...nothing. Even if i switch of the internal firewal of the zyxel.
>

> What can i do? I want just to have access to the printer of the LAN-Side
> (which is, as i mentioned above, connected directly to the router with
> cable).
>
> Any help would be great!
>
> Thanks Thomas

Telnet your router, search for something like Relay (I do not have mine
handy to check the exact setting... ) in the Lan settings or near... Set
it on On (logical, huh ?) then maybe a) restart it, de/reconnect pcs,
..... And that should do. No need to turn off any settings. By default,
the zyxels consider the WLAN and the LAN as two separate entities.

Note that you still need to have the wireless workstation in the same
workgroup and same IP range (except that if you use the router as DHCP
server, it will be fine...).

Aphrael.
--
"La demande mondiale d'ordinateurs n'excédera pas cinq machines."
(Thomas Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)

"Aphrael" <aphrael@isuisse.com> wrote in message
> Thomas wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > We have a bigger Problem in our WLAN:
> > As Router for the Internet-Access we use a Zyxel 652HW-Router. On this
> > Router we have 4 Workstation and 1 Printer which are connected with
> > wires. One Station is connected via Wireless (ZyAir USB B-220 Stick).
> > Now our Problem:
> >
> > The Workstation which is connect with the AccessPoint of the Router can
> > go trough to the Internet, but has no connection to the other
> > workstation or to the printer of the LAN-Side. No Ping, no tracert going
> > trough...nothing. Even if i switch of the internal firewal of the zyxel.
> >
> > What can i do? I want just to have access to the printer of the LAN-Side
> > (which is, as i mentioned above, connected directly to the router with
> > cable).
> >
> > Any help would be great!
> >
> > Thanks Thomas
>
> Telnet your router, search for something like Relay (I do not have mine
> handy to check the exact setting... ) in the Lan settings or near... Set
> it on On (logical, huh ?) then maybe a) restart it, de/reconnect pcs,
> .... And that should do. No need to turn off any settings. By default,
> the zyxels consider the WLAN and the LAN as two separate entities.
>
> Note that you still need to have the wireless workstation in the same
> workgroup and same IP range (except that if you use the router as DHCP
> server, it will be fine...).
>
> Aphrael.

Looking at the Zyxel Prestige 652HW User's Guide, it looks like you want to
go to the Wireless LAN 802.1x/WPA screen and set Wireless Port Control to
"No Authentication Required." I'm guessing that it's currently set to "No
Access Allowed."

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.