Messenger 4.7 Instant Crash with voice and video

Hi. Windows Messenger ( V 4.7.3001) crashes instantly when initiating voice
or video. Text messaging works fine. Attempting to accept an inbound voice
or video call also causes the crash. This problem occurs between computers
on home LAN or internet. My router is upnp compliant..

I have tried the above with a minimum boot, and get same crash problem. I
have not tried to re-install Messenger, since that appears to involve a
complete reinstall of SP2 - or is there a easier way to reinstall messenger?
Thanks for any clues.
3 answers Last reply
More about messenger instant crash voice video

    I had the same problem and just installed version 5.1 which fixed the problem
    for now anyway. I had to do an internet search for the 5.1 version since it
    was not part of the automatic upgrade, but it does come from a microsoft
    website and it did install okay. Give it a try.

    "Gavin" wrote:

    > Hi. Windows Messenger ( V 4.7.3001) crashes instantly when initiating voice
    > or video. Text messaging works fine. Attempting to accept an inbound voice
    > or video call also causes the crash. This problem occurs between computers
    > on home LAN or internet. My router is upnp compliant..
    >
    > I have tried the above with a minimum boot, and get same crash problem. I
    > have not tried to re-install Messenger, since that appears to involve a
    > complete reinstall of SP2 - or is there a easier way to reinstall messenger?
    > Thanks for any clues.

    Thanks alot TmF, that fixed the problem. Why do they keep this one hidden....
    ?there seem to be plenty of people who have the same crash judging by
    assorted message boards.

    "TmF" wrote:

    > I had the same problem and just installed version 5.1 which fixed the problem
    > for now anyway. I had to do an internet search for the 5.1 version since it
    > was not part of the automatic upgrade, but it does come from a microsoft
    > website and it did install okay. Give it a try.
    >
    > "Gavin" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi. Windows Messenger ( V 4.7.3001) crashes instantly when initiating voice
    > > or video. Text messaging works fine. Attempting to accept an inbound voice
    > > or video call also causes the crash. This problem occurs between computers
    > > on home LAN or internet. My router is upnp compliant..
    > >
    > > I have tried the above with a minimum boot, and get same crash problem. I
    > > have not tried to re-install Messenger, since that appears to involve a
    > > complete reinstall of SP2 - or is there a easier way to reinstall messenger?
    > > Thanks for any clues.

    Below is Jonathon Kays reply to another question, but it
    sheds some light on why there is no automatic update, I personnally think
    that for me an upgrade of MSN Messenger (since I use both) broke Windows
    Messenger and installing 5.1 fixed it the same as reinstalling 4.7 (if that
    was easy to do). Perhaps Jonathon will reply and shed some more light on
    this.

    Yes, alerts are still in 5.1. Windows Messenger 5.1 is considered a
    corporate client for
    Live Communications Server and Exchange IM Server (but also has connectivity
    to the .NET
    Messenger Service), as such, there really isn't much new functionality for
    the public
    network

    "Gavin" wrote:

    > Thanks alot TmF, that fixed the problem. Why do they keep this one hidden....
    > ?there seem to be plenty of people who have the same crash judging by
    > assorted message boards.
    >
    > "TmF" wrote:
    >
    > > I had the same problem and just installed version 5.1 which fixed the problem
    > > for now anyway. I had to do an internet search for the 5.1 version since it
    > > was not part of the automatic upgrade, but it does come from a microsoft
    > > website and it did install okay. Give it a try.
    > >
    > > "Gavin" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi. Windows Messenger ( V 4.7.3001) crashes instantly when initiating voice
    > > > or video. Text messaging works fine. Attempting to accept an inbound voice
    > > > or video call also causes the crash. This problem occurs between computers
    > > > on home LAN or internet. My router is upnp compliant..
    > > >
    > > > I have tried the above with a minimum boot, and get same crash problem. I
    > > > have not tried to re-install Messenger, since that appears to involve a
    > > > complete reinstall of SP2 - or is there a easier way to reinstall messenger?
    > > > Thanks for any clues.

Messenger Video Crash Windows XP