G

Hello Anyone,
I have a Giga-Byte(GA-6BXC, Slot 1) mb that the spec's say will support up to 633MHz's. but the MB's dip switches can be set to 866Mhz's (6.5 x 133).
Could I install an 866Mhz CPU and set the switches to 6.5 x 133?
Will I burn up my MB and CPU?
Or should I buy an 650Mhz and overclock it to 728 (6.5 x 112)?
I didn't get to much help from Giga-byte's web page, so if you can help me out, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
skunkie

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
as long as your motherboard supports Coppermines (such as the 633), it supports them ALL. Which means the fastest chip you can use is the PIII 1000EB. The multiplier (7.5x) doesn't even need to be set right, because PIII's are multiplier locked on the chip. I suggest a Socket 370 unit and an FC-PGA compatable Slotket for conversion.

In order to run any 133MHz FSB chip at full speed, you'll also need PC133 SDRAM and a reasonably decent video card (GeForce2, Radeon, or newer suggested).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

According to the flash update, if I have Rev 2a MB or newer, it can support Coppermines/ FC-PGA. I can set the MB FSB Freq to 66/100/112 and 133.
I bought it back in '98, so I'm thinking I don't have Rev 2a. I have to check the MB. I do have the latest flash installed and 384Meg of PC133 memory. And a AGP 3dfx Voodoo3 2000/16Meg video card.
What about an Slot1 PIII 866Mhz non-Coppermine,running at PC100 or PC133 CPU? Or is there such a CPU?
Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No such animal. But you probably can run the Coppermine on "non-compatable" boards if you raise the detected voltage. This is easiest to do on a slotket. I don't know if your card will work at 89MHz port clock, but any GeForce2 or Radeon card will, and a Radeon LE cost only $40 and can be hacked to retail specs.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Thanks for your help.
I'm not going to update it, unless I can find a CPU that is cheat enough and faster than what I have.
Something like a 600Mhz that is not a coppermine or flip chip. I have to go to a computer show to find one.
Raise the Voltage: The MB automatically detects is, and it doesn't provide any place to change it.