doing a clean refomat on an old compaq

G

I just recently built my own system and have my old Compaq Presario 5240 lying around, however, my dad wants to use it to learn how to use a computer and make CDs etc. So what I am wondering is exactly how I can get this clean install done on this Compaq. The problem is that Compaq only gives you this "restore CD" that reformats the whole HD automatically and installs windows. But in the process, it puts all this useless Compaq junk on the computer that I have no need for, especially the D: Drive partition. It simply wastes space and serves no purpose. So since I am planning on using ONLY a stand-alone windows98 CD, I need to know how I can plan on getting all the drivers to work on my old Compaq. Will the BIOS just detect everything as soon as I reformat? I don't think I need any sort of drivers or anything until I get into the windows screen right? Will i have to run any "softpaqs" do get my computer running ok? I guess my only problem is getting on the internet since I can DL the drivers on their website, but I can take my NIC out of this comp and put in the other one, I guess....well if anyone has a definite answer to this, please tell me. Thanks

G

Will there any trouble,I think it's simple,just do it and have all tries until you obtain the success...

As for tomorrow,just let the wind of tomorrow blow arbitrarily...
kisszhulin@hotmail.com

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
win 98 may have the drivers for your nic, video card, and other things. but it may not. just install win 98 on the computer, if it doesnt automaticaly install the nic, you will have to get the drivers from the website, they should fit on a floppy.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

orden

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2002
I had to do what you are trying many moons ago, and truly it was an aweful experience. I upgraded it to a 30 gig harddrive, and it took a week for me to figure out a way for the bios to recognize it. I HATE comcrap, they are aweful, and have no bios updates. However, they DO have all the individual drivers you need. You can try to find them at compaq.com, however I found it easier to just email them and tell them EXACTLY what drivers you need (the cd-rom, sound, etc). Tell them you need the EXACT links to download them. They usually respond in a day or two, and will give you the links. Don't trust your luck that win98 will do it all for you, I doubt it will (it didn't for me). Good luck!

G

thanks, but I just realized something. I remember that there is a "softpaq" I had downloaded awhile back that fixes a bunch of things, but in particular it fixed a compatability issue associated with the addition of voodoo3 video cards. Since I use that video card instead of that craptacular ATI Rage 4MB card, would the "softpaq" still run properly if I performed a clean reformat of my compaq system or will it only work if I reformat the HD the compaq way? I think this will be the main problem, as I can just burn all the drivers onto a cd and install them that way. Does anyone know if this "softpaq" is compaq specific or is it just an update for the bios ?