  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 15, 2004 3:51:52 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I am interested in setting up a wireless network as part of my PVR
solution. I want the PVR located next to the TV (Duh!) and it will get
its TV listings from digiguide.

Here is some ASCII art illustrating the situation:
| TV+PC PVR |\
| | \
| | \
| | \
| | \
| | S |
| | l |
| L i v i n g | o |
| | p |
| R o o m | i |
| | n |
| | g |
| ___________| |
| | | r |
| | | o |
| | Telephone | o |
| | Point | f /
| |___________| /
| | /
|_______________________________________________ Doorway |/
| |
| |
| |
| |
________________________________________________| C |
| | o |
| Door r |
| way r |
| __| i |
| | d |
| ________| o |
| | | o |
| | P.C | r |
| B E D R O O M | + | |
| | Tel | |
| | Point | |
| |________| |
| | |
| | |
|_______________________________________________| |
| | |

Possibility 1:

Buy Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless Access point in living
room.
Connect PVR in Living room with PCI WiFi Card
Connect PC in Bedroom with PCI WiFi Card

Possibility 2:
As above, but connect PC in Bedroom using a PCI ADSL Modem (Turning off
Router when using Bedroom PC)

Possibility 3+:
Anything you intelligent people suggest :)

Peter

More about : wireless setup pvr

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 15, 2004 5:19:40 PM

In uk.telecom.broadband Stone Free <spam_KillKillKillstone_freeNoSpamPleaseWereBritish@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in setting up a wireless network as part of my PVR
> solution. I want the PVR located next to the TV (Duh!) and it will get
> its TV listings from digiguide.
>
> Here is some ASCII art illustrating the situation:
> | TV+PC PVR |\
> | | \
<snip.
> Possibility 1:
>
> Buy Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless Access point in living
> room.
> Connect PVR in Living room with PCI WiFi Card
> Connect PC in Bedroom with PCI WiFi Card

What is the compositoin of the wall between the living room and bedroom.

I'd say this is your best option, if wireless works OK.

> Possibility 2:
> As above, but connect PC in Bedroom using a PCI ADSL Modem (Turning off
> Router when using Bedroom PC)
You'll probably need to unplug it.

> Possibility 3+:
> Anything you intelligent people suggest :)

Me, I'd stick wires in.
But then you probably don't have a 100m reel of cable sitting.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 15, 2004 6:00:32 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in

>> Possibility 1:
>>
>> Buy Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless Access point in living
>> room.
>> Connect PVR in Living room with PCI WiFi Card
>> Connect PC in Bedroom with PCI WiFi Card
>
> What is the compositoin of the wall between the living room and
> bedroom.
It is stud partition plasterboard.

> I'd say this is your best option, if wireless works OK.
>

>> Possibility 2:
>> As above, but connect PC in Bedroom using a PCI ADSL Modem (Turning
>> off Router when using Bedroom PC)
> You'll probably need to unplug it.
>>
>> Possibility 3+:
>> Anything you intelligent people suggest :)
>
> Me, I'd stick wires in.
> But then you probably don't have a 100m reel of cable sitting.

No, your right I dont
a b F Wireless
July 15, 2004 6:25:59 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In uk.telecom.broadband Stone Free <spam_KillKillKillstone_freeNoSpamPleaseWereBritish@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in
>
>>> Possibility 1:
>>>
>>> Buy Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless Access point in living
>>> room.
>>> Connect PVR in Living room with PCI WiFi Card
>>> Connect PC in Bedroom with PCI WiFi Card
>>
>> What is the compositoin of the wall between the living room and
>> bedroom.
> It is stud partition plasterboard.

In that case, it should almost certainly work fine.
Ensure any PCI cards that you use have antennas that can be seperated
out a bit from the card, on a short bit of cable.
Otherwise, you can run into problems with the PCs shielding the signal.

>> I'd say this is your best option, if wireless works OK.
>>

>>> Possibility 2:
>>> As above, but connect PC in Bedroom using a PCI ADSL Modem (Turning
>>> off Router when using Bedroom PC)
>> You'll probably need to unplug it.
>>>
>>> Possibility 3+:
>>> Anything you intelligent people suggest :)
>>
>> Me, I'd stick wires in.
>> But then you probably don't have a 100m reel of cable sitting.
>>
> No, your right I dont
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 16, 2004 12:20:12 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <40f693f6$0$39734$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>, "Ian
Stirling" root@mauve.demon.co.uk says...
> In uk.telecom.broadband Stone Free <spam_KillKillKillstone_freeNoSpamPleaseWereBritish@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in

> >> What is the compositoin of the wall between the living room and
> >> bedroom.
> > It is stud partition plasterboard.
> >

> In that case, it should almost certainly work fine.

Unless the plasterboard is foil backed.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 16, 2004 1:42:29 AM

In uk.telecom.broadband Rob Morley <nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> In article <40f693f6$0$39734$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>, "Ian
> Stirling" root@mauve.demon.co.uk says...
>> In uk.telecom.broadband Stone Free <spam_KillKillKillstone_freeNoSpamPleaseWereBritish@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in

>> > It is stud partition plasterboard.
>> >

>> In that case, it should almost certainly work fine.
>
> Unless the plasterboard is foil backed.

Hence the almost.
Is it probable that an interior stud wall would be foil backed.
I thought it was most common in external walls.
Of course it's possible.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 16, 2004 4:05:07 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <40f6fa45$0$241$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>, "Ian
Stirling" root@mauve.demon.co.uk says...
> In uk.telecom.broadband Rob Morley <nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > In article <40f693f6$0$39734$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>, "Ian
> > Stirling" root@mauve.demon.co.uk says...

> >> In that case, it should almost certainly work fine.
> >
> > Unless the plasterboard is foil backed.
>
> Hence the almost.
> Is it probable that an interior stud wall would be foil backed.

I wouldn't have thought so, but I've heard of it happening.

> I thought it was most common in external walls.

That's where it makes most sense.

> Of course it's possible.

Especially if the builders have some left over :-)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 23, 2004 7:55:00 PM

> In that case, it should almost certainly work fine.
> Ensure any PCI cards that you use have antennas that can be seperated
> out a bit from the card, on a short bit of cable.
> Otherwise, you can run into problems with the PCs shielding the
> signal.
>>
>>> I'd say this is your best option, if wireless works OK.
I am thinking of buying the equipment from amazon, but I am still not
sure which PCI card to get. The Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter for £36
says it has a "Detachable Antenna" but the picture in amazon shows it
connected and I dont know if it will come with any cable.

I had a quick look in PC World (not for the prices obviously!) but I
could only see a Belkin 11b card showing one with cable and an aerial.

Is there one that you would recommend, or would I need to buy some sort
of cable for the Linksys adapter?

One bit I left out was I would like to place the router on a table under
the sloping roof. Will it matter that it isnt placed high up as I am
only needing wireless access over one floor, as it is a flat.

At a pinch I could put it in the bedroom if it could be mounted on the
wall, but I would not like to have to put up a shelf.

Thanks
!