Can I transfer the "windows" folder to another partition?

Bangu

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hey guys. Yesterday, my OS got corrupted. I reinstalled win7 on a different partition. I am wondering if there was any way I could repair the corrupt OS, or transfer the "windows" folder or something. Also. What is the best way to transfer programs? Is it possible I really do not want to download all of my games all over again.

There isn't any easy way to "move" programs from one Windows installation to another, other than by reinstalling them.

This is why people do backups. I'd recommend that you reinstall everything and then use Windows backup (Start -> All Programs -> Maintenance -> Backup and Restore) to make a "System Image" backup of the OS drive.

Bangu

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hm. I have a "factory image" partition.. Is that a backup?

Can't I just move the windows folder? lol or repair it manually. Because On my "corrupt" install Its all still there, the windows folder everything.

Bangu

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I have already reinstalled it on another partition. So. you think I should reinstall it again on the same partition? I will try that, but are you sure It wont erase all my data on the corrupt os?

No. All sorts of registery keys will be pointing to the original location. Move it to another drive and you will destroy your windows installation. (TBH, I doubt that Windows will let you move it, not that I've tried.)

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

This is why its always good to keep installers stored away in a safe location :) If you still have them, put them somewhere safe. if its through Steam, then its really not that bad. Just tell it to download all and then leave it overnight.