want to keep Messenger but STOP it from self launching !!

null

how do I stop Windows Messenger from auto-launching and signing me in ?

I want to keep the program for use when I choose, but can't seem to be able
to stop the damn thing from signing in automatically when I launch Outlook
Express.

It doesn't do it every time, only about once every 10-15 times when I launch
Outlook Express.

the following Preferences under Options are UNCHECKED

- Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts

- Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background

Windows XP - Outlook Express 6.0 - Windows Messenger 4.7

Null

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:15:10 -0400, Null wrote:

> how do I stop Windows Messenger from auto-launching and signing me in ?
>
> I want to keep the program for use when I choose, but can't seem to be able
> to stop the damn thing from signing in automatically when I launch Outlook
> Express.
>
> It doesn't do it every time, only about once every 10-15 times when I launch
> Outlook Express.
>
> the following Preferences under Options are UNCHECKED
>
> - Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts
>
> - Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background
>

> Windows XP - Outlook Express 6.0 - Windows Messenger 4.7
>

> Null

Use preferences in Windows Messenger *and* in OE (Tools> Options). Need to
disable auto-launch for Messenger in both places. Also in OE, change the
View so that the contact pane is not displayed: View> Layout.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

null

Sharon

"Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" in OE was already unchecked

I have now turned off the contact pane in OE and this seems to resolve the
problem as Messenger no longer loads when I run OE.

Strange that MS would link these two things together

thanks for your help

Null

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:15:10 -0400, Null wrote:
>
>> how do I stop Windows Messenger from auto-launching and signing me in ?
>>
>> I want to keep the program for use when I choose, but can't seem to be
>> able
>> to stop the damn thing from signing in automatically when I launch
>> Outlook
>> Express.
>>
>> It doesn't do it every time, only about once every 10-15 times when I
>> launch
>> Outlook Express.
>>
>> the following Preferences under Options are UNCHECKED
>>
>> - Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts
>>
>> - Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background
>>

>> Windows XP - Outlook Express 6.0 - Windows Messenger 4.7
>>

>> Null
>
> Use preferences in Windows Messenger *and* in OE (Tools> Options). Need to
> disable auto-launch for Messenger in both places. Also in OE, change the
> View so that the contact pane is not displayed: View> Layout.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Greetings Null,

If you want to keep the Contacts pane, you can simply close Outlook Express, then download
and run the following .reg file;
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg

Then it won't matter if you have the Contacts pane running or not, Messenger won't load with
OE.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert