want to keep Messenger but STOP it from self launching !!

how do I stop Windows Messenger from auto-launching and signing me in ?

I want to keep the program for use when I choose, but can't seem to be able
to stop the damn thing from signing in automatically when I launch Outlook
Express.

It doesn't do it every time, only about once every 10-15 times when I launch
Outlook Express.

the following Preferences under Options are UNCHECKED

- Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts

- Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background

Windows XP - Outlook Express 6.0 - Windows Messenger 4.7

Null
3 answers Last reply
More about want messenger stop launching

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:15:10 -0400, Null wrote:

    > how do I stop Windows Messenger from auto-launching and signing me in ?
    >
    > I want to keep the program for use when I choose, but can't seem to be able
    > to stop the damn thing from signing in automatically when I launch Outlook
    > Express.
    >
    > It doesn't do it every time, only about once every 10-15 times when I launch
    > Outlook Express.
    >
    > the following Preferences under Options are UNCHECKED
    >
    > - Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts
    >
    > - Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background
    >

    > Windows XP - Outlook Express 6.0 - Windows Messenger 4.7
    >

    > Null

    Use preferences in Windows Messenger *and* in OE (Tools> Options). Need to
    disable auto-launch for Messenger in both places. Also in OE, change the
    View so that the contact pane is not displayed: View> Layout.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon

    "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" in OE was already unchecked

    I have now turned off the contact pane in OE and this seems to resolve the
    problem as Messenger no longer loads when I run OE.

    Strange that MS would link these two things together

    thanks for your help

    Null

    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:15:10 -0400, Null wrote:
    >
    >> how do I stop Windows Messenger from auto-launching and signing me in ?
    >>
    >> I want to keep the program for use when I choose, but can't seem to be
    >> able
    >> to stop the damn thing from signing in automatically when I launch
    >> Outlook
    >> Express.
    >>
    >> It doesn't do it every time, only about once every 10-15 times when I
    >> launch
    >> Outlook Express.
    >>
    >> the following Preferences under Options are UNCHECKED
    >>
    >> - Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts
    >>
    >> - Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background
    >>

    >> Windows XP - Outlook Express 6.0 - Windows Messenger 4.7
    >>

    >> Null
    >
    > Use preferences in Windows Messenger *and* in OE (Tools> Options). Need to
    > disable auto-launch for Messenger in both places. Also in OE, change the
    > View so that the contact pane is not displayed: View> Layout.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Greetings Null,

    If you want to keep the Contacts pane, you can simply close Outlook Express, then download
    and run the following .reg file;
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg

    Then it won't matter if you have the Contacts pane running or not, Messenger won't load with
    OE.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Null" <Null_Packet@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:AZKdnWEXONiCXyDfRVn-oA@rogers.com...
    > Sharon
    >
    > "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" in OE was already unchecked
    >
    > I have now turned off the contact pane in OE and this seems to resolve the problem as
    > Messenger no longer loads when I run OE.
    >
    > Strange that MS would link these two things together
    >
    > thanks for your help
    >

    > Null
    >

    > "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:15:10 -0400, Null wrote:
    >>
    >>> how do I stop Windows Messenger from auto-launching and signing me in ?
    >>>
    >>> I want to keep the program for use when I choose, but can't seem to be
    >>> able
    >>> to stop the damn thing from signing in automatically when I launch
    >>> Outlook
    >>> Express.
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't do it every time, only about once every 10-15 times when I
    >>> launch
    >>> Outlook Express.
    >>>
    >>> the following Preferences under Options are UNCHECKED
    >>>
    >>> - Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts
    >>>
    >>> - Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background
    >>>

    >>> Windows XP - Outlook Express 6.0 - Windows Messenger 4.7
    >>>

    >>> Null
    >>
    >> Use preferences in Windows Messenger *and* in OE (Tools> Options). Need to
    >> disable auto-launch for Messenger in both places. Also in OE, change the
    >> View so that the contact pane is not displayed: View> Layout.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sharon F
    >> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Outlook Express Messenger Microsoft Windows XP