MSN Messenger 7 Can't Sign In

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

I have tons of trouble with MSN Messenger v7 not being able to sign in. It
will try for several minutes and then finally give up. If I pull up Windows
Messenger v4.7 it's able to sign in immediately. I also never had this
problem with MSN Messenger v6.2. This problem only began after I upgraded
to v7. I tried doing an uninstall/reinstall of v7, but the problem
persists.

Does anyone know why v7 has such trouble signing in and how I fix it?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Greetings Karine,

Try this, click the Tools menu, then Options, then Connection category, click the Advanced
Settings button, uncheck all the options, click OK twice and then try again.
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan

"Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have tons of trouble with MSN Messenger v7 not being able to sign in. It
> will try for several minutes and then finally give up. If I pull up Windows
> Messenger v4.7 it's able to sign in immediately. I also never had this
> problem with MSN Messenger v6.2. This problem only began after I upgraded
> to v7. I tried doing an uninstall/reinstall of v7, but the problem
> persists.
>
> Does anyone know why v7 has such trouble signing in and how I fix it?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

That seems to have done the trick. Can you tell me why that was necessary
so I can have an understanding of the situation?

Greetings Karine,

Try this, click the Tools menu, then Options, then Connection category,
click the Advanced
Settings button, uncheck all the options, click OK twice and then try again.
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan

"Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have tons of trouble with MSN Messenger v7 not being able to sign in. It
> will try for several minutes and then finally give up. If I pull up
> Windows
> Messenger v4.7 it's able to sign in immediately. I also never had this
> problem with MSN Messenger v6.2. This problem only began after I upgraded
> to v7. I tried doing an uninstall/reinstall of v7, but the problem
> persists.
>
> Does anyone know why v7 has such trouble signing in and how I fix it?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Greetings,

By unchecking the boxes, you allow Messenger to use the default settings to connect (these
boxes override Windows/IE settings).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> That seems to have done the trick. Can you tell me why that was necessary
> so I can have an understanding of the situation?
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
> Greetings Karine,
>
> Try this, click the Tools menu, then Options, then Connection category,
> click the Advanced
> Settings button, uncheck all the options, click OK twice and then try again.
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> Associate Expert
> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan
>
> "Karine Rivet" <karinerivet[no spam]@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I have tons of trouble with MSN Messenger v7 not being able to sign in. It
>> will try for several minutes and then finally give up. If I pull up
>> Windows
>> Messenger v4.7 it's able to sign in immediately. I also never had this
>> problem with MSN Messenger v6.2. This problem only began after I upgraded
>> to v7. I tried doing an uninstall/reinstall of v7, but the problem
>> persists.
>>
>> Does anyone know why v7 has such trouble signing in and how I fix it?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Shouldn't Messenger have been using the default settings to begin with
rather than those that override the Windows/IE settings?