New A7N266-C, issues

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just got the Asus A7N266-C mobo with the 415-D chipset, but am having a couple of issues. I formatted and freshly installed Win 98 SE and have installed the chipset drivers that came with the motherboard. Ever since the install, the boot times have been horrible, like 2 minutes or more. This is with only ScanRegistry and SystemTray loading on startup. The second is pretty poor gaming performance. I only get 1300 Marks in 3DMark2001 with an Athlon 1333 with a Geforce DDR. On my Duron 700 system on KT133 with same video, I got 2500 marks. I also notice that when clicking the Start Menu, it comes up a little jerky and slow. Disk reads are good, but my 40X CD reads at only 6X average, but my 8x4x32x CDRW reads at 20X average. Might be a messed up drive though. I installed 256 MB Kingston PC2100. Does anyone know what might be causing this, or have the same board, or similar (420-D), and know what to do to solve these issues.

One thing I noticed is that on other motherboards, what would solve the slow boot problem would be to set the "PCI/PNP aware OS installed" to "NO", which is what you're supposed to do, but this board doesn't have that option, or atleast I couldn't find it.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ksoth on 03/27/02 01:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

bluzbrother

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
could the board have gotten electrostatic discharge while installing it? I bought a Gigabyte board with the exact same chipset as my previous board...all hardware was identical yet I couldn't even get the system to run at 60% of what it was supposed to bench. I had the strong impression that board was possibly damaged by ESD. It doesn't sound like you've missed anything so I'd really try to narrow things down to just the board and the bare essentials and continue to test it until you're certain it's not one device conflicting w/ another on your system. As far as resources go I would say the Video and Sound are the most unwilling to work with other devices so focus in on them.

AOL-For people who like to pay extra for their SPAM

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I really don't think its a static discharge problem. I narrowed the slow boot time to the network card. Without it, Windows boots up ultra fast, but with it it takes 2+ minutes. I still have the problem with the slow video performance though. One thing I noticed is that the motherboard assigns IRW 11 to both the video card and the onboard audio, but even if I disable the audio so it isn't using an IRQ the performance remains the same. I'll have to figure out why the NIC is causing such a slow boot, as it didn't do anything to the boot speed on my other system...

"Trying is the first step towards failure."