ashiplikethat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
i am going to start a night elf hunter charather on world of warcraft but im unsure which profesions to choose? what would you reccomend?

am i making the right choice is the dwarf hunter alot better?

are hunter any good?
bearing in mind i like to pick things of at range.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
the whole point of a forum is to ask questions and find things out

Don't forget the bit about helping out others that post here :p

Actually the point of a forum is to have discussions of any kind, not just asking questions and getting replies. It can be any sharing of information (within the context of what the forum is about, in this particular case computer games), including having fun with each other.

lambo333

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I am WOW player....a lvl 52 hunter....as to the best professions for a peticular class..there is none....it just depends on what you want to do in the game..I am a skinner and leather worker.....a hunter is more designed to be a solo character..although they work fine in groups they are not as strong as some other classes in dps delt....but for solo they are probably one of the better classes because you get a pet which can tank for you letting you do range damage which a hunter is best at....for melee hunting many other classes work better.
The professions were not designed around classes..but rather to be ways to create things to let you buy and sell items for making cash....and perhaps something to do as a diversion to constantly killing things.
choose what you think you might like to try..if you dont like what you choose you can always change later!

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Just to show you guys that I'm a complete nutter/n00b when it comes to MMORPG's like WoW, what is the fun in having these professions in a game and in having to work to earn your money? It sounds an aweful lot like working and I do that during my daytime job. Add to that all the fights (not talking PvP here but arguing in guilds and what have you) and politics going on, and I really wonder what the appeal is of living that part of your life in a virtual environment.

Hundreds of thousands, maybe even more than a million people are playing WoW so obviously I'm missing a point somewhere, or maybe it's just not my thing but can anyone try and convince me why this could be more fun than for instance becoming politically active?

I play my games for the pure fun of it, which does not mean they can't be complicated or they can't be played in team context but putting a lot of effort in earning money so you can get better gear or other rewards is just too much like real life to me.

FYI I actually played some text muds in the early days (early 90's) so I can understand the fun of solving quests, the addiction of leveling up and the fun of interacting with other players (teaming up and helping each other, fight each other) however this thing with professions and creating items and stuf....seems like a lot of work.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Some ppl enjoy it.... Have no idea why. I play Eve online and one of the main ways to make money is to mine asteroids which basically involves VERY VERY VERY little interaction bar a mouse click every once a while.

I get past this drudgery by being "lucky?" to have my bed by my pc and a wireless mouse. So I watch tv and do the odd drop and drag in game when needed (Eve runs flawlessly windowed and is mostly played this way by everyone allowing u to play and browse the web at the same time). I do sometimes wonder why I pay for this privilege........ Until I gang up with my corpmates and go into dangerous space and attack and kill noobs. Then the game is funny.

God I have no life....... :(

Savage

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004
Dwarf or Night Elf, the difference is mostly cosmetic. Although they both have advantages. Night Elves have Fade, it's like stealth only you can't move...but you can just stand around and wait for something to get close then you unload on em. Dwarves have Find Tresure and an increase to the Guns skill.

Profession wise:

Leatherworking / Skinning is good because you can make your own armor and be able to supply yourself with the materials

Herbalism / Alchemy is nice, you can make health/mana potions and eventually ones that increase stats, resistances and critical strike chance (which is a big one for hunters)

Blacksmithing - no use to a hunter except for weapons, but only melee ones

Engineering - by far the funniest profession available. The first time you throw out a target dummy you'll be in tears. Exploding sheep get a few chuckles too (Battle Chicken :)). You can make guns and ammo for yourself, scopes as well which increase damage of bows and guns. I'd prob put engineering as my first choice profession for hunter. Later in the game you get an item that you can use to ressurect comrades, useful considering hunters can feign death and be the only survivor of a fight.

Enchanting - very lucrative profession, but difficult to skill up and lots of competition.

Savage

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004
Some ppl enjoy it.... Have no idea why. I play Eve online and one of the main ways to make money is to mine asteroids which basically involves VERY VERY VERY little interaction bar a mouse click every once a while.

I get past this drudgery by being "lucky?" to have my bed by my pc and a wireless mouse. So I watch tv and do the odd drop and drag in game when needed (Eve runs flawlessly windowed and is mostly played this way by everyone allowing u to play and browse the web at the same time). I do sometimes wonder why I pay for this privilege........ Until I gang up with my corpmates and go into dangerous space and attack and kill noobs. Then the game is funny.

God I have no life....... :(

Having a life is over-rated.
At least they'll know where to find your body in the event of a disaster (lying in bed with a cordless mouse clutched in your hand :))

lambo333

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Big Mac..since you "say" you havent played in mmorpg's like WOW then with what expeirence do you base your answer that its all fights in guilds and politics??

You state that there might be maybe even a million people playing WOW...hehe try over 5 mil as of janurary...

Seems you are correct in the fact that you dont know much about these kind of games.. as there are a lot of great guilds in many of these different mmorpg's..

Being a player of mmorpg's for more then 7 years and playing several different games in that time I have found many wonderful people i have met from all over the world and are good friends with many.

Just as with any game you play its a chance to get away from the real world for a while...but you have the added joy of playing with real people not just computer generated figures which have no mind of their own.

I have been in several guilds that were well organized and much more "fun" then just playing againt the computer.

As in all games there are factors to mmorpg's that some people dont like.

Im sorry if you tried one and got into a guild that was lousy..cause there are those too!!...but being in with a good group of people in the heat of a large battle...hehe ...blows away any single player game out there by leaps and bounds!!!

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Never mind that thing about politics. Everywhere where there are people interacting sooner or later politics come into play and MMO's aren't any different in that aspect.

Aside from my personal experience with pre-graphics MMO's (text based), which I think is not that much different from what is around today, I also have a brother that has played a number of them (WoW, StarWars Galaxies, and one or two others I can't remember the names of, btw Wolfy, my brother is even older than me :p ). He stopped playing all of them sooner or later btw. I do have an understanding of the addictive qualities of MMO's

Just as with any game you play its a chance to get away from the real world for a while...but you have the added joy of playing with real people not just computer generated figures which have no mind of their own.

This is the part where I get lost see? I fully inderstand the fun of entering a virtual world and all, especially with other people around. But then I can't for the life of me understand why you should work for your money in these virtual worlds, take on a profession and all, or do boring repetitive actions/jobs in order to get enough gold to do fun things or get fun goodies. Where's the fun in that? I can understand it can be fun to work, but it's just more profitable to work in the real world (for most people).

Just getting your character to level up or advance is cool, but if the process of doing it gets boring, then what's the use?