Bad BIOS flash... I think

kye199

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2001
Ok... I think I really messed it up.
I tried flashing my ECS K7S5A BIOS to accept my new XP CPU and it started flashing I think and then my monitor went black and the LED went yellow and yet the LED on the floppy was still lit, but no floppy sounds. So I let it sit there for awhile thinking it was flashing maybe, or maybe not. So after 15 minutes I just hit the restart button, and it restarted reading from the floppy for like 5 seconds and went quiet and sat there, no post or anything. So I cleared the CMOS and still the same thing, nothing. I'm thinking I need a new BIOS chip... so tell me I'm wrong or tell me where I can get one.
(sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to be as descriptive as possible :)
Thanks

Now we're rockin like dokken!

Did you enable the cmos jumper with the power supply unplugged? If that doesn't work, I would check your local pc shop and see if they can flash your bios chip for you (usually $5-10). ECS may charge you $15-25 for a replacement bios chip (with shipping charges, etc.), or you can request an rma (returned merchandise authorization) from the place you bought the mobo, and wait 2-3 weeks for a replacement board under warranty. They will have to test the old one before shipping you a replacement. Just tell them it doesn't work; not that you had a bad bios flash.