wireless signal strength is V. poor??

hi,

i've got a belkin wireless router and a wireless card on my laptop.
downstairs we have got a new digital cordless fone.

my problem is the wireless laptop connects fro about 1 min, and then
disconnects, even when the fone is off. how can i increase the signal
strength? is there anything i can do, to make it work proerly?

its a 11mbs (802.11b)

thanx

devin
10 answers Last reply
More about wireless signal strength poor

    "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > i've got a belkin wireless router and a wireless card on my laptop.
    > downstairs we have got a new digital cordless fone.
    >
    > my problem is the wireless laptop connects fro about 1 min, and then
    > disconnects, even when the fone is off. how can i increase the signal
    > strength? is there anything i can do, to make it work proerly?
    >
    > its a 11mbs (802.11b)
    >
    > thanx
    >
    > devin

    Did the wireless card work OK before the phone?

    Check the phone - what frequency? If 2.4 Ghz, return the phone for a MUCH
    cheaper 900 Mhz phone.

    --
    Bob Alston

    ---

    "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > i've got a belkin wireless router and a wireless card on my laptop.
    > downstairs we have got a new digital cordless fone.
    >
    > my problem is the wireless laptop connects fro about 1 min, and then
    > disconnects, even when the fone is off. how can i increase the signal
    > strength? is there anything i can do, to make it work proerly?
    >
    > its a 11mbs (802.11b)
    >
    > thanx
    >
    > devin

    Imagine a straight line from the laptop to the wireless router. Please
    describe the obstacles along that line (i.e., floors, furniture, books,
    steel shelves).

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    Bob Alston wrote:

    > "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>hi,
    >>
    >>i've got a belkin wireless router and a wireless card on my laptop.
    >>downstairs we have got a new digital cordless fone.
    >>
    >>my problem is the wireless laptop connects fro about 1 min, and then
    >>disconnects, even when the fone is off. how can i increase the signal
    >>strength? is there anything i can do, to make it work proerly?
    >>
    >>its a 11mbs (802.11b)
    >>
    >>thanx
    >>
    >>devin
    >>

    > Did the wireless card work OK before the phone?
    >
    > Check the phone - what frequency? If 2.4 Ghz, return the phone for a MUCH
    > cheaper 900 Mhz phone.

    ....or try different channels on the wireless setup...?

    no, it always worked like that. i only bought my network equipment last
    week.
    how do i try different channels?

    thanx

    devin

    "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message

    > Bob Alston wrote:
    >
    > > "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>hi,
    > >>
    > >>i've got a belkin wireless router and a wireless card on my laptop.
    > >>downstairs we have got a new digital cordless fone.
    > >>
    > >>my problem is the wireless laptop connects fro about 1 min, and then
    > >>disconnects, even when the fone is off. how can i increase the signal
    > >>strength? is there anything i can do, to make it work proerly?
    > >>
    > >>its a 11mbs (802.11b)
    > >>
    > >>thanx
    > >>
    > >>devin
    > >>

    > > Did the wireless card work OK before the phone?
    > >
    > > Check the phone - what frequency? If 2.4 Ghz, return the phone for a
    MUCH
    > > cheaper 900 Mhz phone.
    > >
    > ...or try different channels on the wireless setup...?

    ok, a door with glass in it, and down the stairs. then a couple of feet
    forward, near the sofa.
    the digital phone is at the base of the stairs, on a wall shelf.
    the router is standing up, next to a wall, with my computer, modem, and
    speaker right next to it.

    devin

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > hi,
    > >
    > > i've got a belkin wireless router and a wireless card on my laptop.
    > > downstairs we have got a new digital cordless fone.
    > >
    > > my problem is the wireless laptop connects fro about 1 min, and then
    > > disconnects, even when the fone is off. how can i increase the signal
    > > strength? is there anything i can do, to make it work proerly?
    > >
    > > its a 11mbs (802.11b)
    > >
    > > thanx
    > >
    > > devin
    >
    > Imagine a straight line from the laptop to the wireless router. Please
    > describe the obstacles along that line (i.e., floors, furniture, books,
    > steel shelves).
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    So the only thing between the AP and the laptop is a glass door? That's not
    much of an obstacle, so I wouldn't think that's the problem. Are you sure
    it's really connected for even one minute? Can you PING other computers or
    access the WWW during that minute?

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    > ok, a door with glass in it, and down the stairs. then a couple of feet
    > forward, near the sofa.
    > the digital phone is at the base of the stairs, on a wall shelf.
    > the router is standing up, next to a wall, with my computer, modem, and
    > speaker right next to it.
    >
    > devin
    >

    > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > > "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > > hi,
    > > >
    > > > i've got a belkin wireless router and a wireless card on my laptop.
    > > > downstairs we have got a new digital cordless fone.
    > > >
    > > > my problem is the wireless laptop connects fro about 1 min, and then
    > > > disconnects, even when the fone is off. how can i increase the signal
    > > > strength? is there anything i can do, to make it work proerly?
    > > >
    > > > its a 11mbs (802.11b)
    > > >
    > > > thanx
    > > >
    > > > devin
    > >
    > > Imagine a straight line from the laptop to the wireless router. Please
    > > describe the obstacles along that line (i.e., floors, furniture, books,
    > > steel shelves).
    > >
    > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    On 17/7/04 7:17 am, in article
    Rv3Kc.4825$Kz3.524788@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net, "Ron Bandes"
    <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:

    > So the only thing between the AP and the laptop is a glass door? That's not
    > much of an obstacle, so I wouldn't think that's the problem. Are you sure
    > it's really connected for even one minute? Can you PING other computers or
    > access the WWW during that minute?

    Glass can be a very great obstacle, but I doubt its the case here.
    Laminated glass often contains a darker middle element which is actually
    metallic based. This is one reason why mobile phone reception can be a
    problem on certain types of trains - laminated, darkened windows.

    yeah, i get a low signal, but for that minute or so, i can access the
    internet.
    i think its the phone downstairs. ??

    > So the only thing between the AP and the laptop is a glass door? That's
    not
    > much of an obstacle, so I wouldn't think that's the problem. Are you sure
    > it's really connected for even one minute? Can you PING other computers
    or
    > access the WWW during that minute?
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > ok, a door with glass in it, and down the stairs. then a couple of feet
    > > forward, near the sofa.
    > > the digital phone is at the base of the stairs, on a wall shelf.
    > > the router is standing up, next to a wall, with my computer, modem, and
    > > speaker right next to it.
    > >
    > > devin
    > >

    > > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > > > Imagine a straight line from the laptop to the wireless router.
    Please
    > > > describe the obstacles along that line (i.e., floors, furniture,
    books,
    > > > steel shelves).
    > > >
    > > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    It does sound like interference.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    > yeah, i get a low signal, but for that minute or so, i can access the
    > internet.
    > i think its the phone downstairs. ??
    >
    > devin
    >
    > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > > So the only thing between the AP and the laptop is a glass door? That's
    > not
    > > much of an obstacle, so I wouldn't think that's the problem. Are you
    sure
    > > it's really connected for even one minute? Can you PING other computers
    > or
    > > access the WWW during that minute?
    > >
    > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    > >
    > > "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > > ok, a door with glass in it, and down the stairs. then a couple of
    feet
    > > > forward, near the sofa.
    > > > the digital phone is at the base of the stairs, on a wall shelf.
    > > > the router is standing up, next to a wall, with my computer, modem,
    and
    > > > speaker right next to it.
    > > >
    > > > devin
    > > >

    > > > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message

    > signal

    > Please
    > books,

    so how coud i stop this?
    how do i change the signal channel?

    dev

    > It does sound like interference.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > yeah, i get a low signal, but for that minute or so, i can access the
    > > internet.
    > > i think its the phone downstairs. ??
    > >
    > > devin
    > >
    > > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > > > So the only thing between the AP and the laptop is a glass door?
    That's
    > > not
    > > > much of an obstacle, so I wouldn't think that's the problem. Are you
    > sure
    > > > it's really connected for even one minute? Can you PING other
    computers
    > > or
    > > > access the WWW during that minute?
    > > >
    > > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    > > >
    > > > "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > feet
    > and

    > laptop.

    > then
    > > signal

    > > Please
    > > books,

Wireless Laptops Wireless Router Wireless Networking