Unable to use voice chat using Windows Messenger

We started exchanging instant messages and attempted to start voice chat
but were unable to get into it. We opend 6901 for TCP/IC and UDP on
Linksys router which both of us were using, and disabled WXP's build in
firewall on OS at both ends but to no avail.

We have no problem with voice chat using MS Messenger and Yahoo
Messenger. What are we doing wrong with Windows Messenger?

Greetings,

Port 6901 has not been used for audio conversations since MSN Messenger 3.

Unlike MSN Messenger or Yahoo Messenger, Windows Messenger utilizes Universal Plug and Play
(UPnP) in order to establish voice conversations with others. As such, your Linksys router
will need UPnP support turned on (it is usually off by default).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"honjo" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:uBN5U%235eFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> We started exchanging instant messages and attempted to start voice chat but were unable to
> get into it. We opend 6901 for TCP/IC and UDP on Linksys router which both of us were
> using, and disabled WXP's build in firewall on OS at both ends but to no avail.
>
> We have no problem with voice chat using MS Messenger and Yahoo Messenger. What are we
> doing wrong with Windows Messenger?

Thanks for your response.
UPnP was enabled both of our routers but to no avail. What else could be
wrong with our Windows Messenger setups? Any further suggestion would
be appreciated.

Kaz