Your question

"Older" Games on XP

Tags:
  • Games
  • Windows XP
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 3, 2003 2:17:34 PM

Hi, I am new to the Forum, but I was hoping for some insight into installing and playing what some Game Companies are treating as "older" games and refuse to offer any help about the troubles presented by WinXP. I have already suffered a major OS crash trying to install and play one of the EA Sports games (SuperBike 2001). The installation seemed to go fine, but attempting to play is what apparently caused the crash. In reading some of the Game Forums, I have discovered that I am not the only one having these problems. EA Sports' NBA 2001 is also sited as not being able to play on XP, but I have not tried to install it because of the problem with the other EA Sports game mentioned above. Lucasarts is also not providing any assistance with some of their "older" games. I find it very disturbing that the attitude of these Game Companies (includes Sierra) is that the problem is with XP and they intend to do nothing to offer any assistance for games that were released in just the last couple of years. They react (in messages I have received from them) like they were totally unaware that XP was going to be the primary OS in the foreseeable future and therefore did nothing to prepare for this. I'm sure that many gamers don't wish to have to purchase the "latest and greatest" recently released games to have games that will play successfully on XP. I am aware that there are some "older" games that will play on XP (TombRaider Chronicles, for instance) I for one will never purchase another game from the three aforementioned Companies until I see a change in their atitude and policies!
Thanks for listening to my Rant.

More about : older games

February 3, 2003 9:29:43 PM

That's too bad. I enjoy lots of older games, and thankfully I run Win98se. WinXP has its advantages, but that's not one of them. There's not much you can do about it.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>
February 3, 2003 10:37:13 PM

How is it the gamemaker's fault that they didn't code their games to run on an operating system that wasn't out at the time? Microsoft was the one in charge of making sure 9X stuff worked on XP.

Try a dual boot.
Related resources
February 3, 2003 10:59:07 PM

How is it the gamemakers' fault? Because EVERYBODY knew XP was coming down the pike. XP is based on the NT Kernel and that was enough for a start, if they only cared. No...it was just easier for them to take the attitude to blame it on MS and expect the masses to buy "fresh" new games from them. Explain why some gamemakers' games work with XP! As for a dual boot...that's not an answer...I still have my Win98SE and WinME machines. I bought a new PC (with XP) so I would have the latest...little suspecting that many programs would not work with it. And so much for MS BS about the "stability" of XP. After 2 years running ME and 2 more years before that with 98, with virtually no problems, my "wonderful" XP crashes within the first six weeks!
February 3, 2003 11:26:13 PM

Win2000 and WinXP will run almost all games released since 2000.

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>
February 4, 2003 12:28:36 AM

Just dual boot.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>
February 4, 2003 1:10:22 AM

And that is a crock! I can name at least 5 that won't run on XP..."Superbike 2001"..."NBA 2001" "Rainbow Six"..."Pro-Pilot USA"......"Indiana Jones and The Infernal Machine"
Gee, I think that last one must be referring to WinXP?
February 4, 2003 1:16:25 AM

Have you tried to run the games in compatability mode?

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>
February 4, 2003 4:57:50 PM

If compatibility mode doesnt fix it.. if they're dos games try VDM Sound, it includes many things that get dos games working on NT based OS including sound support.

The only thing I have that I couldnt get to work on xp is bleem.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500
February 4, 2003 7:41:30 PM

EA is notorious for producing games that will not work on any NT platform. I've had games (from other developers) that said they wouldn't work on NT and worked fine (On XP and 2k). But your best bet is to try Win98 compatibility mode and trying to start it from there. It has worked on a couple of older games that I have tried. But with EA your are far less likely to get it to work.

Good Luck!

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
February 4, 2003 11:56:08 PM

According to my experience, EA games released after 2000 work in Win2000 and XP. Clive Barker's Undying for example. EA tells that it doesn't work in Win2000, but it runs even better in Win2000 and XP

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>
February 5, 2003 3:38:38 PM

Windows 2000 seems to play ALOT nicer with older games. I bought Theif I and II, it says on the bottom by the specs WinXP not supported. I installed it an it played fine, I don't know if The Half Life has issues w/ XP, but I have Half-Life Plat (the entire series) and it all installed and played fine. There is no compatability mode in 2k, I guess cause there were no compatability issues.
February 5, 2003 5:03:24 PM

I would say that is true but I've had problems with some of thier sports games. Well I cant say problems, they flat out didn't work.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
February 6, 2003 8:11:39 PM

i couldnt get thief to run.... has anyone else?

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....
February 6, 2003 9:41:55 PM

Thief 2 works for me, so does SuperBike 2001, but Sprint cars doesn’t. I let that slide, but when I found out Rainbow Six didn’t work I had a ship fit and quickly converted to a dual boot. I for one will not put up with that!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new">When you don’t have a snickers bar for the wait.</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 02/06/03 06:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 6, 2003 9:59:03 PM

are you shittin me? thief works for you? mine is the one that came with my sound card (back in the day before soundstorm...) i wonder if that has anything to do with it. did you do anything different when/after you installed it? i love that game...

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....
February 6, 2003 11:04:12 PM

Yeah I didn’t have any problems, or do anything special. I might have got it with a sound card or something also. So you like the game, huh. I haven’t play it much at all, about the farthest I got was threw the first unlock door, which is real I die, because I don’t know how to defend myself. I look threw the controls, but wholly bleep I though I was trying to learn how to fly an airplane with all the commands.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new">When you don’t have a snickers bar for the wait.</A>
February 8, 2003 11:22:35 PM

thief is a badass game. It can get kind of spooky. I liked the story line and the monostary mission was the coolest part in the game.
February 9, 2003 1:12:02 PM

I still have it on my computer, I’ll have to check it out.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new">When you don’t have a snickers bar for the wait.</A>
February 10, 2003 7:43:32 PM

Hay, it turns out Rainbow Six works after all. I became suspicious when it stop the install on Win98 at 87%, I new then my CD was dirty.

February 11, 2003 5:23:36 PM

Have you tried changing the compatibility of the game from within XP. You should be able to change the compatibility to emulate Win95, Win98, ME, or 2000. Windows 2000 also has the same feature but you have to enable it from the command line:

regsvr32 c:\winnt\apppatch\slayerui.dll

run this in Win2000 and a compatibility tab will appear in when you right click on an executable and choose properties. This works for some games but not all. I had a problem running Rainbow 6 in Win2000. I changed the compatibility to emulate Win98 and the game works fine now.

Hope this helps
!