Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Occupy Wall Street

Last response: in News & Leisure
Share
October 10, 2011 10:06:30 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/10/us/occupy-wall-street/ind...

Courtesy of CNN.

Here is a list of your local gatherings:

Albuquerque, Santa Fe, New Mexico, Ann Arbor , Atlanta , Austin, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Des Moines, Fort Worth, Hartford, Houston, Iowa City, Jersey City, Kansas City , Los Angeles , Miami, Minneapolis, New Haven, Normal, Illinois, Oakland,Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Portland, Oregon , Portland, Maine, Roanoke, Virginia, Sacramento , Salt Lake City, San Diego , San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Barbara, Santa Fe, Seattle, Tampa , Trenton, Venice, California, Washington D.C.


More about : occupy wall street

October 10, 2011 11:13:51 PM

Theyre all going to be too worn out to vote if this keeps up
October 10, 2011 11:37:23 PM

Tons of kids from my school walk over to Wall st after they get out. They think it's fun.
Related resources
October 10, 2011 11:55:14 PM

Ive heard some of the activities going on there, Woodstock sounded fun too
October 11, 2011 12:25:20 AM

Well as long as they keep it as a peaceful protest and have rational demands then I support them 100%.

It may be called Class warfare, But no one likes when a % of people pay LESS taxes then the rest and receive more benefits then others.sa
October 11, 2011 12:37:46 AM

The lower 40% pay no federal tax, or they get it back after they pay, its all the same.
Im not sure why this isnt significant here, as this was Bush's tax cut that allowed for this
October 11, 2011 1:02:05 AM

Who is providing the free food, tarps, sleeping bags, color printed brochures, toothbrushes, oh and drugs and condoms?

How many parents of these are shaking their heads watching right now?

Come winter the northern states wont have this problem, but the southern will. It will most likely continue into the Spring and Summer 2012. Just before elections. How very convenient don't you think?
October 11, 2011 1:04:22 AM

Wait I though Americans payed taxes and receive a Lower % of what they payed back, If you did not fill taxes then you do not receive money back or you would have the HOUNDS of IRS behind you.

I Study outside the US but I'm a Resident of the US so I'm not so well informed on this part of the process since I've never had to do it, My dad does.
October 11, 2011 1:26:49 AM

They are protesting that a broken system to be fixed. Each person has a specific demand...so do those topless ladies!
October 11, 2011 1:41:18 AM

dogman_1234 said:
Here is a list of your local gatherings:

Albuquerque, Santa Fe, New Mexico, Ann Arbor , Atlanta , Austin, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Des Moines, Fort Worth, Hartford, Houston, Iowa City, Jersey City, Kansas City , Los Angeles , Miami, Minneapolis, New Haven, Normal, Illinois, Oakland,Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Portland, Oregon , Portland, Maine, Roanoke, Virginia, Sacramento , Salt Lake City, San Diego , San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Barbara, Santa Fe, Seattle, Tampa , Trenton, Venice, California, Washington D.C.
More like a list of places to avoid! If half the articles, interviews, and videos posted on you tube are true, it really looks to be like one big effed up mess as opposed to a political statement. At the very least, proof that the European Austerity protests have landed in America. Hopefully this stays peaceful but doesn't seem likely.

Wonder if this thing has staying power? If this is the proletariat, are the Bolsheviks too far behind?
October 11, 2011 1:48:45 AM

chunkymonster said:
More like a list of places to avoid!

I've lived in three of the cities on the list and look forward to moving to another.
October 11, 2011 2:05:45 AM

This crap is scary. People demanding the govt. regulate who gets paid how much. That's how communism works.
October 11, 2011 2:12:41 AM

mmaatt747 said:
This crap is scary. People demanding the govt. regulate who gets paid how much. That's how communism works.


Welcome to the USA!

Ever heard of minimum wage? If there were no such thing, I would possibly be working 1 buck an hour.
October 11, 2011 2:57:58 AM

dogman_1234 said:
Welcome to the USA!

Ever heard of minimum wage? If there were no such thing, I would possibly be working 1 buck an hour.



Actually... it's the maximum's I'm worried about, not the minimum's. Even more worrying, is the desire for "Equal salaries".
October 11, 2011 3:03:02 AM

Tell me please what is wrong with equal salary? I am not trying to be unAmerican, this is a legitimate question.
October 11, 2011 3:17:31 AM

Take an employee with 15 years experience that gets a job with Company A. Both parties agree to a salary of X dollars.

Now take an employee with 5 years experience and all other things being equal can only find jobs offering salaries of X minus Y dollars.

This 2nd exec now expects the govt. to step in and demand the co. he or she was hired on with to pay a salary of X dollars.

The government should NOT be in charge of regulating the free market.
October 11, 2011 12:41:38 PM

Some of these people are making good points.

War feeds the 1%

October 11, 2011 1:08:06 PM

It is about time people of the USA stand up and not just let things happen. I am all for the cause. Remember all the protest in the 60s they faded out but are not coming back. As for equal salaries that would not work. I think it would kill the drive of the worker who has been on the job for 10 years and someone new comes in and make the same amount.
October 11, 2011 1:39:33 PM

Reynod said:
Some of these people are making good points.

War feeds the 1%


I'm sure some of them have good points. The problem is the majority of them are there just to to feel like they are changing the U.S. and all they are doing is creating huge trash heaps and doing nothing to really change anything. They should put all this time they seem to have to constuctive use if they truly cared.
October 11, 2011 1:50:13 PM

dogman_1234 said:
Tell me please what is wrong with equal salary? I am not trying to be unAmerican, this is a legitimate question.


Equal salary is fine if you have the same experience an/or education. If someone has been active in a field, let's say in computers for 10 years and some dufus fresh out of college demands the same as the 10 year guy, I would keep the older guy. He is active in his field, experience more than makes up for education. I would hire military over many other employees just because they usually show up on time for work, which most younger people have a problem with. Some don't hire military and call them overqualified for fear that they will one day take their jobs.

Or here is a scenario. You are making $40 an hour and have worked for 10 years and I see another guy just out of school and give him to you to bring up to speed. Once he is set in the job I am going to give him $40 an hour also. Forget the fact that it took you 10 years to get to this point. How does that equal pay sound now? How would that make you feel? Would you think the company values you?

October 11, 2011 2:11:09 PM

mmaatt747 said:
I'm sure some of them have good points. The problem is the majority of them are there just to to feel like they are changing the U.S. and all they are doing is creating huge trash heaps and doing nothing to really change anything. They should put all this time they seem to have to constuctive use if they truly cared.


Yeah I say that media report ... it seemed a bit "anti" the protestors and I wonder if Rupert told the reporter to bias it that way?

Checked another news site and they picked up on the poop incident as well.

I wonder how bad it was back when the hippies portested in the 60's?

JD ... can you fill us in ... old fella?

heh heh ...

I think poor old Obama is scratching his head wondering how does he tackle this one too ...

How do you tackle this issue?

It isn't easy ...

October 11, 2011 2:14:54 PM

Psssssst, reynod.

Obama is the "community organizer" behind these protests.

He (Obama) likes and supports this.
October 11, 2011 2:30:40 PM

Somehow I think your trying to tar and feather the guy for something he hasn't done.

Clearly he is in a tough position with this going on.

If the rubbish piles up much higher the tourists are going to think they are in a third world country ...

You told me once before there are hardly any people living on the streets ...

Now there are.
October 11, 2011 7:46:33 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Interesting article from UK Daily.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2047664/Occupy-...



That right there says a whole lot. Most of those people just look like they're there to have a good time and to be able to tell others they took part in the big "OCCUPY WALL STREET".
October 11, 2011 10:13:46 PM

My comment about Woodstock still syands
Sex drugs and rocknroll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8JA9Qs2Mho

Now, I remember the days of wanting to be heard, how others with their 15 minutes were sometimes of great importance in my young life
This isnt the place, the right format, the right approach, and mostly, the right people, tho some probably do deserve to be heard

PS I almost forgot the fun part, oh yea baby
October 12, 2011 6:55:20 PM

Chef_Boyardee said:
I've lived in three of the cities on the list and look forward to moving to another.
Not sure what your point is because I live outside of Philly and my work routinely takes me into Trenton and Jersey City. Recently, my company has send out an internal memo to all field personnel to work in those areas in at least two man teams and only go into the protest areas with a police escort. This is in contrast to the standard company policy for the known high crime cities like Camden, Newark, etc. It's not a knock against these cities but a knock against the rabble that the wall street mob is proving themselves to be.
October 12, 2011 9:46:28 PM

^I think that's ridiculous. OWS protesters are way too moralistic to...what? Assault members of your company at random? They're not criminals, unless you count blocking traffic.
October 12, 2011 10:06:46 PM

I wonder about this
If you appear to be working for the devil, they may tie you to a stake
Most wouldnt dream about this, but some are, well you know, like the TEA party
October 13, 2011 12:02:27 AM

kajabla said:
^I think that's ridiculous. OWS protesters are way too moralistic to...what? Assault members of your company at random? They're not criminals, unless you count blocking traffic.
Ridiculous or not the company is looking out for the safety of their employees.

On the whole, no they are not criminals, but the reports of mass arrests, public intoxication, public fornication, and illegal drug use do not exactly paint a picture of moral virtue.
October 13, 2011 12:09:52 AM

OK. I know a classmate who got arrested. He was at the protest, carrying a sign. He and other protesters were walking away from the main protest, going home. They were on the sidewalk, not chanting, not blocking traffic, and were rounded up and arrested. A mass arrest, yes. A bunch of criminals, no.
http://stuyspectator.com/2011/10/08/the-crime-of-peacef...

Another person, a friend of a friend, was arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge. The police allowed hundreds of people to walk onto the main highway, where they were blocking traffic. The leaders knew they were breaking the law, but all that the hundreds that followed them saw was a mass of people led calmly by police, who walked at the head of the column for minutes before arresting everyone on the roadway.
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/01/police-arr...

Intoxication, maybe. There are certainly a few deadbeats there for the fun of it. That's still not grounds for alarm. Fornication? I don't know. Do you have evidence for that?

By "moralistic" I meant that they're there for a cause. If a protester isn't reasonably well-mannered, they're surrounded at all times by hundreds of other passionate people who are their for moral reasons and probably wouldn't let a mugging go by.
There's a difference, in the minds of many of the type of people that camp out at a protest for days, between illegal drug use (marijuana) and illegal violence. They see one as harmless and the other as immoral.
October 13, 2011 2:15:51 AM

kajabla said:
OK. I know a classmate who got arrested. He was at the protest, carrying a sign. He and other protesters were walking away from the main protest, going home. They were on the sidewalk, not chanting, not blocking traffic, and were rounded up and arrested. A mass arrest, yes. A bunch of criminals, no.
http://stuyspectator.com/2011/10/08/the-crime-of-peacef...
I feel for your friend, and if that's your friend in the article and the events were as he described, then he was innocent and certainly in the wrong place at the wrong time. I sympathize with him. As far as getting arrested, par for the course. Not to seem uncaring, and as innocent as he was, he couldn't have been totally unaware of the consequences of being part of a mob chanting in downtown NYC. Hopefully, being a young man, one of the lessons he learns from this is to be more thoughtful on the outcome of good intentions.

kajabla said:
Another person, a friend of a friend, was arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge. The police allowed hundreds of people to walk onto the main highway, where they were blocking traffic. The leaders knew they were breaking the law, but all that the hundreds that followed them saw was a mass of people led calmly by police, who walked at the head of the column for minutes before arresting everyone on the roadway.
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/01/police-arr...
I have no sympathy for anyone arrested in this article...
Quote:
None of the protesters interviewed knew if the bridge march was planned or a spontaneous decision by the crowd. But all insisted that the police had made no mention that the roadway was off limits.
...c'mon, really, a group of adults NEED the police to tell them TO NOT WALK IN THE ROADWAY while crossing the Brooklyn Bridge. DUH! Lack of common sense is not an excuse. Any implication that it was a set up by the police is only further proof of their stupidity.

kajabla said:
Intoxication, maybe. There are certainly a few deadbeats there for the fun of it. That's still not grounds for alarm. Fornication? I don't know. Do you have evidence for that?
Even this apologetic piece fails to deny the shenanigans.

Don't get me wrong, there is middle ground for us here. It's ignorant to think that there are not moralistic people there for honest and real reasons; there are causes I am also passionate about. However, the lack of media coverage is not helping their case. The lack of any cohesive or singular mission statement, purpose, or stated goals is not helping their case. The inability to follow the law is not helping their case. The seemingly unorganized manner and circumstances in which this OWS group leaders have brought people together is not helping their case. Being on the outside looking in and trying to understand what the whole OWS thing is about, it seems to be nothing more than a mob set on causing civil unrest.
October 13, 2011 2:23:02 AM

chunkymonster said:

I have no sympathy for anyone arrested in this article...
Quote:
None of the protesters interviewed knew if the bridge march was planned or a spontaneous decision by the crowd. But all insisted that the police had made no mention that the roadway was off limits.
...c'mon, really, a group of adults NEED the police to tell them TO NOT WALK IN THE ROADWAY while crossing the Brooklyn Bridge. DUH! Lack of common sense is not an excuse. Any implication that it was a set up by the police is only further proof of their stupidity. .

Stupidity?
They saw a march going on, across the bridge. There were lots of people; the possibility of a roadway march wouldn't have been too far-fetched (regardless of the police's actual stance, which they had no way of knowing). They saw the police, and they saw the police not intervening, so they continued to follow the crowd, and then were arrested. Is following the crowd stupidity when the protesters (excluding those at the front) could see that no consequences were forthcoming, that the police were, by all appearances, not against the march?
How could the marchers (still not talking about those in the front, who did proceed illegally and with warnings) have done better? How could they have known that they were in the wrong?
October 13, 2011 2:43:26 AM

The police did warn them, repeatedly, via bullhorn that they would be arrested if they crossed the bridge. The police proceeded them onto the bridge for their own safety and until enough units were on scene to conduct the arrests.
October 13, 2011 2:46:47 AM

kajabla said:
Stupidity?
They saw a march going on, across the bridge. There were lots of people; the possibility of a roadway march wouldn't have been too far-fetched (regardless of the police's actual stance, which they had no way of knowing). They saw the police, and they saw the police not intervening, so they continued to follow the crowd, and then were arrested. Is following the crowd stupidity when the protesters (excluding those at the front) could see that no consequences were forthcoming, that the police were, by all appearances, not against the march?
How could the marchers (still not talking about those in the front, who did proceed illegally and with warnings) have done bettr? How could they have known that they were in the wrong?
OMG! Dude! Really? What about not walking in the street across the Brooklyn Bridge is difficult to understand? Yes! Following the crowd is stupidity! The mob does not preclude the individual from thinking for themselves. I'm aghast that you actually are defending a mob of people walking across the roadway of the Brooklyn Bridge! At four o'clock in the afternoon, nonetheless!

Quote:
But about 20 others headed for the Brooklyn-bound roadway, said Christopher T. Dunn of the New York Civil Liberties Union, who accompanied the march. Some of them chanted “take the bridge.” They were met by a handful of high-level police supervisors, who blocked the way and announced repeatedly through bullhorns that the marchers were blocking the roadway and that if they continued to do so, they would be subject to arrest.
YES! STUPIDITY!
October 13, 2011 3:09:31 AM

Those 20 (probably many more, really, within earshot) were the people in the front, whom I specified as at fault. They were warned, and they were wrong. 20 people weren't arrested, though; 700 were. 700 people, most of whom followed a march (a march, not a mob) with no knowledge or warning that they were doing something illegal, were suddenly rounded up.
If the police had wanted to stop them, they could have simply blocked them from entering the bridge. They could certainly have continued warning the crowd as it moved "a third of the way to Brooklyn" (Times) instead of leaving it to march on, ignorant of the danger of arrest.
Yes, it's obviously common sense not to walk on a roadway under normal circumstances. These were not normal circumstances. Marches in New York often use roadways; they just usually have permits. I wouldn't be at all surprised (as in I think this is probably true, but have no evidence) if many of those in the ignorant crowd assumed that the protest was permitted and legitimate, especially when they saw police members standing by. Many marches take place in broad daylight, around four o'clock in the afternoon, with police present and standing by just in case. To those who joined in, who weren't the leaders, participating in legal marches and going along in this illegal one probably felt just the same.

On another note, this is probably the longest logical discussion I've had on this forum that hasn't disintegrated into name-calling. Let's keep it up, though we don't see eye-to-eye yet.
October 13, 2011 3:42:52 AM

Again, the wrong people leading some good people with a decent reason.
The backers, the leaders, theyre most likely zealots, and to give them power is wrong.
Let them go home, write their congressman, if they dont get an answer, then go to the press, then if nothing happens, start again, but this time, without zealots
October 13, 2011 11:04:57 AM

But what do you do with them? Your way may be the best way to get things done, but zealots don't like to be told to go home.
October 14, 2011 12:09:11 AM

IMO, zealots of any type should rarely be heard
Now isnt the time for them, its the wrong message, too strong for what to me needs to be finely tuned
The current admin has left alot of people and companies with uncertainty, you cant start rowing together, all of us, til we right the boat, and some of those leaders there, thats all they want to do, its easier for them to do what they want, gain the power they crave
October 14, 2011 12:11:10 AM

What's all the want to do?

The issue is that passionate people ARE the ones that speak up, and you can't go around judging people as zealots and somehow limiting their protesting.
October 14, 2011 6:19:17 AM

Ahhh... warms the heart to see so many disenfranchised youth gathered to protest the evils of the silver spoon they've suckled on their entire short lives.

Joined by multi-millionaires like Russell Simmons, Kayne West, Susan Sarandon, etc... these "poor third-world children" with their coddled upbringings having every want/need taken care of, massive school tuition probably completely paid for by parents, designer clothes, best of the best expensive electronics like smart phones Ipads Laptops - all gathered in protest of those dirty rich people!!!

Oh wait... we didn't mean THOSE rich people... not the rich celebrities that we like, or that will come out to see us. Not those rich people that funnel money into the support mechanisms that organized all of this in the first place. Not those rich parents that supported us our entire lives. We meant all the OTHER rich people, duh!


I am still missing something about the hypocrisy of people that think the way these types do. If they say things like they want to end the Fed, and stop wasting money on Wars, then they are going to all vote for the only candidate that will/is running on fixing those two issues: Ron Paul. None of them are gonna vote Democrat, because there is no Dem running in this next election that will do those two things, so solely on principle they will all HAVE to vote Ron Paul, am I right?? Rofl.. of course they won't, they will vote for Obama, who has proven he not only didn't pull us out of the wars like he said he would before elected, but actually engaged us in even more conflict (Libya). And he has exactly no intention of touching the Fed, which is what gives the bankers so much power/riches in the first place.

Their hypocrisy is foul, and yet they expect the rest of the nation to give a rat's arse about their stinky little gathering? Let them wallow in their own filth until winter when they'll go running back to mommy and daddy's mansion.
October 14, 2011 12:57:49 PM

Reynod said:
Somehow I think your trying to tar and feather the guy for something he hasn't done.

Clearly he is in a tough position with this going on.

If the rubbish piles up much higher the tourists are going to think they are in a third world country ...

You told me once before there are hardly any people living on the streets ...

Now there are.



http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20116707-503544....

After reading this ^^ reynod, in your opinion, do the President's words discourage or encourage these protests?
October 14, 2011 2:55:32 PM

lol You don't know how to protest therefor all of your arguments are invalid......
October 14, 2011 4:01:47 PM

mingo: "My peeps are brawling. Your argument is invalid."

gamer: "LOL /trollface"
October 14, 2011 4:02:22 PM

I am starting to hear word there will be a rally near my town. Can't wait to see the local news.
    • 1 / 10
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!