Sign in with
Your question

solid system

Last response: in Motherboards
March 28, 2002 8:01:33 PM

Hi
I am trying to build a solid computer and I have decided on the Athlon XP 1800 for a processor. However, the choice for a motherboard has confused me greatly. I read that I should either get a mobo based on kt266a or kt333 chipset but I read in other places that there is not so much support for the advanced features of the kt333. Can some one please recommend one or the other and also some good models of each. I also read that the Shuttle AK35GTR KT266A and that Asus makes a solid 333 board but that is basically it. Also, can you recommend a video card. I am not sure whether to go with the radeon 8500 or the geforce 3 or if there is a better card for the money. I would appreciate any help.
Thanx
Joe

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jedge78 on 03/28/02 05:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : solid system

March 28, 2002 8:35:37 PM

USB 2.0 doesn't have much out for it yet, ATA133 is pretty useless as only one HD manufacturer supports it and it has a bottleneck of the PCI bus, and PC2700 ram is expensive and hard to find in CAS 2.0.

So, it's not realy worth the extra money to go with the KT333 at the moment

However, when the T-bread comes out, it might be an easier board to overclock to 166 FSB.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep them doggies postin', my fingers are swollen, Rawhide!
March 28, 2002 8:48:28 PM

do u recommend any particular board...i have heard that the soyo boards have compatibility issues...and any recommendations for graphic and sound cards?

Thanx So Much
Joe
March 28, 2002 9:59:22 PM

my asus a7v e is very reliable (never had any problems), even when over clocked, i recommend it, although its not cheap, but does have sound + raid which is a bonus if you need it. Geforce 3 ti 200 is generally good value, but if you will not want to run 3D graphics geforce 2 mx is now very cheap and reliable

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly
!