Remote assistance problems requested through MSN Messenger

I'm having problems with remote assistance requested from my Mums PC through
MSN Messenger to my PC.
She requests assistance, I accept and then nothing happens - I get a message
saying it is connecting to her computer but it doesn't connect or timeout -
just sits there until I cancel it.

Her setup is Windows XP Pro with SP2. Windows Firewall is turned on, which
has the following exceptions ticked (on):

MSN Messenger 7.0
Remote Assistance
Remote Assistance - Windows Messenger and Voice
Remote Desktop
UPnP Framework
Windows Messenger
Windows Netmeeting

Her PC is behind a DLink DSL504 NAT router with UPnP turned on.
Both PC's have Remote Assistance turned on under the Remote options of
System in control panel.

My PC is the same setup except it is behind a Zyxel Prestige 652-R11 NAT
router, also with UPnP turned on, and with the same Windows Firewall
exceptions as hers. One difference between the two PC's is the version of
Windows Messenger. Her's is 4.7.3001 and mine is 5.1.0639. Our MSN Messenger
versions are both at 7.0.0813.

Remote Assistance always used to work until quite recently. The only thing
thats changed (afaik) is MSN Messenger - we both used to use 6.2 (can't
remember the build). I installed Windows Messenger 5.1 some time again, but
remote assistance has worked with it in the past.

One interesting nugget is that it all works if I use my laptop (also behind
the Xyxel router via a Dlink DWL7000AP access point) to take control
remotely instead of my PC. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100 with XP SP2,
MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.

So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible for this
problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to connect to work
using SIP.

Thanks for any advice.
Mike
8 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance problems requested messenger

    Forgot to mention, there aren't any other software firewalls in use other
    than the built in Windows Firewall, and I'm able to do video conferencing
    between my PC and my Mum's, with no audio problems.

    "" wrote:
    > I'm having problems with remote assistance requested from my
    > Mums PC through
    > MSN Messenger to my PC.
    > She requests assistance, I accept and then nothing happens - I
    > get a message
    > saying it is connecting to her computer but it doesn't connect
    > or timeout -
    > just sits there until I cancel it.
    >
    > Her setup is Windows XP Pro with SP2. Windows Firewall is
    > turned on, which
    > has the following exceptions ticked (on):
    >
    > MSN Messenger 7.0
    > Remote Assistance
    > Remote Assistance - Windows Messenger and Voice
    > Remote Desktop
    > UPnP Framework
    > Windows Messenger
    > Windows Netmeeting
    >
    > Her PC is behind a DLink DSL504 NAT router with UPnP turned
    > on.
    > Both PC's have Remote Assistance turned on under the Remote
    > options of
    > System in control panel.
    >
    > My PC is the same setup except it is behind a Zyxel Prestige
    > 652-R11 NAT
    > router, also with UPnP turned on, and with the same Windows
    > Firewall
    > exceptions as hers. One difference between the two PC's is the
    > version of
    > Windows Messenger. Her's is 4.7.3001 and mine is 5.1.0639. Our
    > MSN Messenger
    > versions are both at 7.0.0813.
    >
    > Remote Assistance always used to work until quite recently.
    > The only thing
    > thats changed (afaik) is MSN Messenger - we both used to use
    > 6.2 (can't
    > remember the build). I installed Windows Messenger 5.1 some
    > time again, but
    > remote assistance has worked with it in the past.
    >
    > One interesting nugget is that it all works if I use my laptop
    > (also behind
    > the Xyxel router via a Dlink DWL7000AP access point) to take
    > control
    > remotely instead of my PC. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100
    > with XP SP2,
    > MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.
    >
    > So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible
    > for this
    > problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to
    > connect to work
    > using SIP.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.
    > Mike

    perhaps this will help.
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=553297&highlight=

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-Remote-assistance-problems-MSN-ftopict551528.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1756413

    Has anyone any thoughts on whether using a different version of Windows
    Messenger will fix my remote assistance problems? Perhaps re-installing?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Mike

    > Forgot to mention, there aren't any other software firewalls in use other
    > than the built in Windows Firewall, and I'm able to do video conferencing
    > between my PC and my Mum's, with no audio problems.
    >
    > "Michael Taylor" <mike@(nospam)mtcs.ltd.uk> wrote in message
    >> I'm having problems with remote assistance requested from my Mums PC
    >> through MSN Messenger to my PC.
    >> She requests assistance, I accept and then nothing happens - I get a
    >> message saying it is connecting to her computer but it doesn't connect or
    >> timeout - just sits there until I cancel it.
    >>
    >> Her setup is Windows XP Pro with SP2. Windows Firewall is turned on,
    >> which has the following exceptions ticked (on):
    >>
    >> MSN Messenger 7.0
    >> Remote Assistance
    >> Remote Assistance - Windows Messenger and Voice
    >> Remote Desktop
    >> UPnP Framework
    >> Windows Messenger
    >> Windows Netmeeting
    >>
    >> Her PC is behind a DLink DSL504 NAT router with UPnP turned on.
    >> Both PC's have Remote Assistance turned on under the Remote options of
    >> System in control panel.
    >>
    >> My PC is the same setup except it is behind a Zyxel Prestige 652-R11 NAT
    >> router, also with UPnP turned on, and with the same Windows Firewall
    >> exceptions as hers. One difference between the two PC's is the version of
    >> Windows Messenger. Her's is 4.7.3001 and mine is 5.1.0639. Our MSN
    >> Messenger versions are both at 7.0.0813.
    >>
    >> Remote Assistance always used to work until quite recently. The only
    >> thing thats changed (afaik) is MSN Messenger - we both used to use 6.2
    >> (can't remember the build). I installed Windows Messenger 5.1 some time
    >> again, but remote assistance has worked with it in the past.
    >>
    >> One interesting nugget is that it all works if I use my laptop (also
    >> behind the Xyxel router via a Dlink DWL7000AP access point) to take
    >> control remotely instead of my PC. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100
    >> with XP SP2, MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.
    >>
    >> So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible for this
    >> problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to connect to work
    >> using SIP.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice.
    >> Mike

    Thanks Sparda, I checked it out but unfortunately it doesn't fit. I don't
    get messages saying 'connection could not be established', just that it's
    connecting but then no response after that. My laptop can provide remote
    assistance to my Mum's PC, but my main PC can't, yet both my laptop and main
    PC are operating behind the same UPnP router. The only difference I can see
    is Windows Messenger on my main PC is newer.
    Would an uninstall/re-install of Windows Messenger 5.1 help? Is there a
    version newer than 5.1.0639? Would it just make matters worse if I
    re-installed 5.1?
    Thanks for any opinions.
    Mike

    "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "" wrote:
    > > I'm having problems with remote assistance requested from my
    > > Mums PC through
    > > MSN Messenger to my PC.
    > > She requests assistance, I accept and then nothing happens - I
    > > get a message
    > > saying it is connecting to her computer but it doesn't connect
    > > or timeout -
    > > just sits there until I cancel it.
    > >
    > > Her setup is Windows XP Pro with SP2. Windows Firewall is
    > > turned on, which
    > > has the following exceptions ticked (on):
    > >
    > > MSN Messenger 7.0
    > > Remote Assistance
    > > Remote Assistance - Windows Messenger and Voice
    > > Remote Desktop
    > > UPnP Framework
    > > Windows Messenger
    > > Windows Netmeeting
    > >
    > > Her PC is behind a DLink DSL504 NAT router with UPnP turned
    > > on.
    > > Both PC's have Remote Assistance turned on under the Remote
    > > options of
    > > System in control panel.
    > >
    > > My PC is the same setup except it is behind a Zyxel Prestige
    > > 652-R11 NAT
    > > router, also with UPnP turned on, and with the same Windows
    > > Firewall
    > > exceptions as hers. One difference between the two PC's is the
    > > version of
    > > Windows Messenger. Her's is 4.7.3001 and mine is 5.1.0639. Our
    > > MSN Messenger
    > > versions are both at 7.0.0813.
    > >
    > > Remote Assistance always used to work until quite recently.
    > > The only thing
    > > thats changed (afaik) is MSN Messenger - we both used to use
    > > 6.2 (can't
    > > remember the build). I installed Windows Messenger 5.1 some
    > > time again, but
    > > remote assistance has worked with it in the past.
    > >
    > > One interesting nugget is that it all works if I use my laptop
    > > (also behind
    > > the Xyxel router via a Dlink DWL7000AP access point) to take
    > > control
    > > remotely instead of my PC. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100
    > > with XP SP2,
    > > MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.
    > >
    > > So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible
    > > for this
    > > problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to
    > > connect to work
    > > using SIP.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any advice.
    > > Mike
    >
    > perhaps this will help.
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=553297&highlight=

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-Remote-assistance-problems-MSN-ftopict551528.html

    For what it's worth, I re-installed MSN Messenger (now on build 7.0.0816)
    and Windows Messenger 5.1 which is build 5.1.0680, and now I can provide
    remote assistance fine using my desktop PC. I think probably that
    re-installing WM 5.1 probably fixed it, though I don't know if the higher
    build over the previous version had anything to do with the problem.
    Mike

> [...]
    >> >
    >> > So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible
    >> > for this
    >> > problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to
    >> > connect to work
    >> > using SIP.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any advice.
    >> > Mike
    >>
    >> perhaps this will help.
    >> http://www.windowsforumz.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=553297&highlight=
    >>
    >> --
    >> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    >> request
    >> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    >> Topic URL:
    >> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-Remote-assistance-problems-MSN-ftopict551528.html
    >> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    I believe the problem you describe may be related to you having Windows
    Messenger disabled or uninstalled. It appears that *MSN* Messenger
    relies on *Windows* Messenger to manage Remote Assistance invitations.
    If, for example, local policy states that Windows Messenger is not
    allowed to be run, then Remote Assistance invitations will fail quietly
    without issuing any warning.
    In order to resolve the issue, one must make sure that Windows
    Messenger is installed on their computer and that local policy is set
    correctly. More specifically, run gpedit.msc in order to edit local
    policy. Then, make sure that under Computer Configuration /
    Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Messenger, the
    “Do not allow Windows Messenger to be run” policy is not enabled
    (either Not Configured or Disabled). Repeat exactly the same procedure
    for User Configuration.

    Changing this policy has solved the problem for me. :)

    --
    Nir Pe'er
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    HELLO, IM HAVING TROUBLE WITH MY MESSENGER, IT SHOWS THAT MY EMAIL IS NOT
    VERIFIED ON THE SCREEN TO OTHER PEOPLE. IT TELLS ME TO GO TO MY IN BOX ON MY
    EMAIL AND I DID BUT NOTHING WAS THERE. I CANT GET IT TO SIGN ME IN OR VERIFIY
    MY EMAIL.. I HAVE TRYED EVERYTHING!!! WHAT DO I DO TO GET SIGNED IN????
    THANKS THE DAWG

    "Michael Taylor" wrote:

    > I'm having problems with remote assistance requested from my Mums PC through
    > MSN Messenger to my PC.
    > She requests assistance, I accept and then nothing happens - I get a message
    > saying it is connecting to her computer but it doesn't connect or timeout -
    > just sits there until I cancel it.
    >
    > Her setup is Windows XP Pro with SP2. Windows Firewall is turned on, which
    > has the following exceptions ticked (on):
    >
    > MSN Messenger 7.0
    > Remote Assistance
    > Remote Assistance - Windows Messenger and Voice
    > Remote Desktop
    > UPnP Framework
    > Windows Messenger
    > Windows Netmeeting
    >
    > Her PC is behind a DLink DSL504 NAT router with UPnP turned on.
    > Both PC's have Remote Assistance turned on under the Remote options of
    > System in control panel.
    >
    > My PC is the same setup except it is behind a Zyxel Prestige 652-R11 NAT
    > router, also with UPnP turned on, and with the same Windows Firewall
    > exceptions as hers. One difference between the two PC's is the version of
    > Windows Messenger. Her's is 4.7.3001 and mine is 5.1.0639. Our MSN Messenger
    > versions are both at 7.0.0813.
    >
    > Remote Assistance always used to work until quite recently. The only thing
    > thats changed (afaik) is MSN Messenger - we both used to use 6.2 (can't
    > remember the build). I installed Windows Messenger 5.1 some time again, but
    > remote assistance has worked with it in the past.
    >
    > One interesting nugget is that it all works if I use my laptop (also behind
    > the Xyxel router via a Dlink DWL7000AP access point) to take control
    > remotely instead of my PC. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100 with XP SP2,
    > MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.
    >
    > So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible for this
    > problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to connect to work
    > using SIP.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.
    > Mike

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Thanks Nir. I actually got it working a couple of weeks ago (posted about
    it).
    Windows Messenger was not disabled on either PC. I resolved it by
    downloading and installing WM5.1 build 5.1.0680 on my PC to replace build
    5.1.0639.

    I use Windows Messenger with work colleagues (using SIP over a VPN) and MSN
    Messenger with friends and family. I don't know why a re-install of WM made
    it work, but it has.
    Thanks for your help. Next time I see a problem like this I'll remember to
    have a look at these policies.
    Regards
    Mike

    "Nir Pe'er" <Nir.Peer.1st35y@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

> [...]
    >>
    >> Remote Assistance always used to work until quite recently. The only
    >> thing
    >> thats changed (afaik) is MSN Messenger - we both used to use 6.2
    >> (can't
    >> remember the build). I installed Windows Messenger 5.1 some time
    >> again, but
    >> remote assistance has worked with it in the past.
    >>
    >> One interesting nugget is that it all works if I use my laptop (also
    >> behind
    >> the Xyxel router via a Dlink DWL7000AP access point) to take control
    >> remotely instead of my PC. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100 with XP
    >> SP2,
    >> MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.
    >>
    >> So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible for
    >> this
    >> problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to connect to

Messenger MSN Messenger Windows XP