Remote assistance problems requested through MSN Messenger

June 30, 2005 12:59:15 AM

I'm having problems with remote assistance requested from my Mums PC through
MSN Messenger to my PC.
She requests assistance, I accept and then nothing happens - I get a message
saying it is connecting to her computer but it doesn't connect or timeout -
just sits there until I cancel it.

Her setup is Windows XP Pro with SP2. Windows Firewall is turned on, which
has the following exceptions ticked (on):

MSN Messenger 7.0
Remote Assistance
Remote Assistance - Windows Messenger and Voice
Remote Desktop
UPnP Framework
Windows Messenger
Windows Netmeeting

Her PC is behind a DLink DSL504 NAT router with UPnP turned on.
Both PC's have Remote Assistance turned on under the Remote options of
System in control panel.

My PC is the same setup except it is behind a Zyxel Prestige 652-R11 NAT
router, also with UPnP turned on, and with the same Windows Firewall
exceptions as hers. One difference between the two PC's is the version of
Windows Messenger. Her's is 4.7.3001 and mine is 5.1.0639. Our MSN Messenger
versions are both at 7.0.0813.

Remote Assistance always used to work until quite recently. The only thing
thats changed (afaik) is MSN Messenger - we both used to use 6.2 (can't
remember the build). I installed Windows Messenger 5.1 some time again, but
remote assistance has worked with it in the past.

One interesting nugget is that it all works if I use my laptop (also behind
the Xyxel router via a Dlink DWL7000AP access point) to take control
remotely instead of my PC. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100 with XP SP2,
MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.

So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible for this
problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to connect to work
using SIP.

Thanks for any advice.
Mike
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:19:13 AM

Forgot to mention, there aren't any other software firewalls in use other
than the built in Windows Firewall, and I'm able to do video conferencing
between my PC and my Mum's, with no audio problems.

"Michael Taylor" <mike@(nospam)mtcs.ltd.uk> wrote in message
news:o jEYJUOfFHA.3904@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I'm having problems with remote assistance requested from my Mums PC
> through MSN Messenger to my PC.
> She requests assistance, I accept and then nothing happens - I get a
> message saying it is connecting to her computer but it doesn't connect or
> timeout - just sits there until I cancel it.
>
> Her setup is Windows XP Pro with SP2. Windows Firewall is turned on, which
> has the following exceptions ticked (on):
>
> MSN Messenger 7.0
> Remote Assistance
> Remote Assistance - Windows Messenger and Voice
> Remote Desktop
> UPnP Framework
> Windows Messenger
> Windows Netmeeting
>
> Her PC is behind a DLink DSL504 NAT router with UPnP turned on.
> Both PC's have Remote Assistance turned on under the Remote options of
> System in control panel.
>
> My PC is the same setup except it is behind a Zyxel Prestige 652-R11 NAT
> router, also with UPnP turned on, and with the same Windows Firewall
> exceptions as hers. One difference between the two PC's is the version of
> Windows Messenger. Her's is 4.7.3001 and mine is 5.1.0639. Our MSN
> Messenger versions are both at 7.0.0813.
>
> Remote Assistance always used to work until quite recently. The only thing
> thats changed (afaik) is MSN Messenger - we both used to use 6.2 (can't
> remember the build). I installed Windows Messenger 5.1 some time again,
> but remote assistance has worked with it in the past.
>
> One interesting nugget is that it all works if I use my laptop (also
> behind the Xyxel router via a Dlink DWL7000AP access point) to take
> control remotely instead of my PC. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100 with
> XP SP2, MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.
>
> So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible for this
> problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to connect to work
> using SIP.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> Mike

July 5, 2005 7:38:09 PM

"" wrote:
> I'm having problems with remote assistance requested from my
> Mums PC through
> MSN Messenger to my PC.
> She requests assistance, I accept and then nothing happens - I
> get a message
> saying it is connecting to her computer but it doesn't connect
> or timeout -
> just sits there until I cancel it.
>
> Her setup is Windows XP Pro with SP2. Windows Firewall is
> turned on, which
> has the following exceptions ticked (on):
>
> MSN Messenger 7.0
> Remote Assistance
> Remote Assistance - Windows Messenger and Voice
> Remote Desktop
> UPnP Framework
> Windows Messenger
> Windows Netmeeting
>
> Her PC is behind a DLink DSL504 NAT router with UPnP turned
> on.
> Both PC's have Remote Assistance turned on under the Remote
> options of
> System in control panel.
>
> My PC is the same setup except it is behind a Zyxel Prestige
> 652-R11 NAT
> router, also with UPnP turned on, and with the same Windows
> Firewall
> exceptions as hers. One difference between the two PC's is the
> version of
> Windows Messenger. Her's is 4.7.3001 and mine is 5.1.0639. Our
> MSN Messenger
> versions are both at 7.0.0813.
>
> Remote Assistance always used to work until quite recently.
> The only thing
> thats changed (afaik) is MSN Messenger - we both used to use
> 6.2 (can't
> remember the build). I installed Windows Messenger 5.1 some
> time again, but
> remote assistance has worked with it in the past.
>
> One interesting nugget is that it all works if I use my laptop
> (also behind
> the Xyxel router via a Dlink DWL7000AP access point) to take
> control
> remotely instead of my PC. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100
> with XP SP2,
> MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.
>
> So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible
> for this
> problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to
> connect to work
> using SIP.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> Mike

perhaps this will help.
http://www.windowsforumz.com/modules.php?name=Forums&fi...

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-Remote-assistanc...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1756413
July 5, 2005 8:18:06 PM

Has anyone any thoughts on whether using a different version of Windows
Messenger will fix my remote assistance problems? Perhaps re-installing?
Thanks for any advice.
Mike

> Forgot to mention, there aren't any other software firewalls in use other
> than the built in Windows Firewall, and I'm able to do video conferencing
> between my PC and my Mum's, with no audio problems.
>
> "Michael Taylor" <mike@(nospam)mtcs.ltd.uk> wrote in message
> news:o jEYJUOfFHA.3904@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> I'm having problems with remote assistance requested from my Mums PC
>> through MSN Messenger to my PC.
>> She requests assistance, I accept and then nothing happens - I get a
>> message saying it is connecting to her computer but it doesn't connect or
>> timeout - just sits there until I cancel it.
>>
>> Her setup is Windows XP Pro with SP2. Windows Firewall is turned on,
>> which has the following exceptions ticked (on):
>>
>> MSN Messenger 7.0
>> Remote Assistance
>> Remote Assistance - Windows Messenger and Voice
>> Remote Desktop
>> UPnP Framework
>> Windows Messenger
>> Windows Netmeeting
>>
>> Her PC is behind a DLink DSL504 NAT router with UPnP turned on.
>> Both PC's have Remote Assistance turned on under the Remote options of
>> System in control panel.
>>
>> My PC is the same setup except it is behind a Zyxel Prestige 652-R11 NAT
>> router, also with UPnP turned on, and with the same Windows Firewall
>> exceptions as hers. One difference between the two PC's is the version of
>> Windows Messenger. Her's is 4.7.3001 and mine is 5.1.0639. Our MSN
>> Messenger versions are both at 7.0.0813.
>>
>> Remote Assistance always used to work until quite recently. The only
>> thing thats changed (afaik) is MSN Messenger - we both used to use 6.2
>> (can't remember the build). I installed Windows Messenger 5.1 some time
>> again, but remote assistance has worked with it in the past.
>>
>> One interesting nugget is that it all works if I use my laptop (also
>> behind the Xyxel router via a Dlink DWL7000AP access point) to take
>> control remotely instead of my PC. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100
>> with XP SP2, MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.
>>
>> So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible for this
>> problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to connect to work
>> using SIP.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>> Mike

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 4:37:00 AM

Thanks Sparda, I checked it out but unfortunately it doesn't fit. I don't
get messages saying 'connection could not be established', just that it's
connecting but then no response after that. My laptop can provide remote
assistance to my Mum's PC, but my main PC can't, yet both my laptop and main
PC are operating behind the same UPnP router. The only difference I can see
is Windows Messenger on my main PC is newer.
Would an uninstall/re-install of Windows Messenger 5.1 help? Is there a
version newer than 5.1.0639? Would it just make matters worse if I
re-installed 5.1?
Thanks for any opinions.
Mike

"Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > I'm having problems with remote assistance requested from my
> > Mums PC through
> > MSN Messenger to my PC.
> > She requests assistance, I accept and then nothing happens - I
> > get a message
> > saying it is connecting to her computer but it doesn't connect
> > or timeout -
> > just sits there until I cancel it.
> >
> > Her setup is Windows XP Pro with SP2. Windows Firewall is
> > turned on, which
> > has the following exceptions ticked (on):
> >
> > MSN Messenger 7.0
> > Remote Assistance
> > Remote Assistance - Windows Messenger and Voice
> > Remote Desktop
> > UPnP Framework
> > Windows Messenger
> > Windows Netmeeting
> >
> > Her PC is behind a DLink DSL504 NAT router with UPnP turned
> > on.
> > Both PC's have Remote Assistance turned on under the Remote
> > options of
> > System in control panel.
> >
> > My PC is the same setup except it is behind a Zyxel Prestige
> > 652-R11 NAT
> > router, also with UPnP turned on, and with the same Windows
> > Firewall
> > exceptions as hers. One difference between the two PC's is the
> > version of
> > Windows Messenger. Her's is 4.7.3001 and mine is 5.1.0639. Our
> > MSN Messenger
> > versions are both at 7.0.0813.
> >
> > Remote Assistance always used to work until quite recently.
> > The only thing
> > thats changed (afaik) is MSN Messenger - we both used to use
> > 6.2 (can't
> > remember the build). I installed Windows Messenger 5.1 some
> > time again, but
> > remote assistance has worked with it in the past.
> >
> > One interesting nugget is that it all works if I use my laptop
> > (also behind
> > the Xyxel router via a Dlink DWL7000AP access point) to take
> > control
> > remotely instead of my PC. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100
> > with XP SP2,
> > MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.
> >
> > So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible
> > for this
> > problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to
> > connect to work
> > using SIP.
> >
> > Thanks for any advice.
> > Mike
>
> perhaps this will help.
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/modules.php?name=Forums&fi...

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-Remote-assistanc...
July 12, 2005 2:20:21 PM

For what it's worth, I re-installed MSN Messenger (now on build 7.0.0816)
and Windows Messenger 5.1 which is build 5.1.0680, and now I can provide
remote assistance fine using my desktop PC. I think probably that
re-installing WM 5.1 probably fixed it, though I don't know if the higher
build over the previous version had anything to do with the problem.
Mike

"Michael Taylor" <mike@(nospam)mtcs.ltd.uk> wrote in message
news:o VQgjpbgFHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> > with XP SP2,
>> > MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.
>> >
>> > So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible
>> > for this
>> > problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to
>> > connect to work
>> > using SIP.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any advice.
>> > Mike
>>
>> perhaps this will help.
>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/modules.php?name=Forums&fi...
>>
>> --
>> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
>> request
>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> Topic URL:
>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-Remote-assistanc...
>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

July 27, 2005 12:08:28 AM

I believe the problem you describe may be related to you having Windows
Messenger disabled or uninstalled. It appears that *MSN* Messenger
relies on *Windows* Messenger to manage Remote Assistance invitations.
If, for example, local policy states that Windows Messenger is not
allowed to be run, then Remote Assistance invitations will fail quietly
without issuing any warning.
In order to resolve the issue, one must make sure that Windows
Messenger is installed on their computer and that local policy is set
correctly. More specifically, run gpedit.msc in order to edit local
policy. Then, make sure that under Computer Configuration /
Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Messenger, the
“Do not allow Windows Messenger to be run” policy is not enabled
(either Not Configured or Disabled). Repeat exactly the same procedure
for User Configuration.

Changing this policy has solved the problem for me. :)

--
Nir Pe'er
July 27, 2005 9:26:04 AM

HELLO, IM HAVING TROUBLE WITH MY MESSENGER, IT SHOWS THAT MY EMAIL IS NOT
VERIFIED ON THE SCREEN TO OTHER PEOPLE. IT TELLS ME TO GO TO MY IN BOX ON MY
EMAIL AND I DID BUT NOTHING WAS THERE. I CANT GET IT TO SIGN ME IN OR VERIFIY
MY EMAIL.. I HAVE TRYED EVERYTHING!!! WHAT DO I DO TO GET SIGNED IN????
THANKS THE DAWG

"Michael Taylor" wrote:

> I'm having problems with remote assistance requested from my Mums PC through
> MSN Messenger to my PC.
> She requests assistance, I accept and then nothing happens - I get a message
> saying it is connecting to her computer but it doesn't connect or timeout -
> just sits there until I cancel it.
>
> Her setup is Windows XP Pro with SP2. Windows Firewall is turned on, which
> has the following exceptions ticked (on):
>
> MSN Messenger 7.0
> Remote Assistance
> Remote Assistance - Windows Messenger and Voice
> Remote Desktop
> UPnP Framework
> Windows Messenger
> Windows Netmeeting
>
> Her PC is behind a DLink DSL504 NAT router with UPnP turned on.
> Both PC's have Remote Assistance turned on under the Remote options of
> System in control panel.
>
> My PC is the same setup except it is behind a Zyxel Prestige 652-R11 NAT
> router, also with UPnP turned on, and with the same Windows Firewall
> exceptions as hers. One difference between the two PC's is the version of
> Windows Messenger. Her's is 4.7.3001 and mine is 5.1.0639. Our MSN Messenger
> versions are both at 7.0.0813.
>
> Remote Assistance always used to work until quite recently. The only thing
> thats changed (afaik) is MSN Messenger - we both used to use 6.2 (can't
> remember the build). I installed Windows Messenger 5.1 some time again, but
> remote assistance has worked with it in the past.
>
> One interesting nugget is that it all works if I use my laptop (also behind
> the Xyxel router via a Dlink DWL7000AP access point) to take control
> remotely instead of my PC. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100 with XP SP2,
> MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001.
>
> So are the different versions of Windows Messenger responsible for this
> problem? I need V5 of Windows Messenger as I use this to connect to work
> using SIP.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> Mike

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 2:54:53 PM

Thanks Nir. I actually got it working a couple of weeks ago (posted about
it).
Windows Messenger was not disabled on either PC. I resolved it by
downloading and installing WM5.1 build 5.1.0680 on my PC to replace build
5.1.0639.

I use Windows Messenger with work colleagues (using SIP over a VPN) and MSN
Messenger with friends and family. I don't know why a re-install of WM made
it work, but it has.
Thanks for your help. Next time I see a problem like this I'll remember to
have a look at these policies.
Regards
Mike