AMD, VIA Steal CPU Marketshare From Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktasley

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I thought via got more market than that (in the Mobile Division) I guess they are not including ultra mobile, Smartphones etc.?

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
It looks like AMD gain more market share in the beginning of the year and gave some back in Q4. I am guessing PII helped AMD gain some mainstream PC market shares but i7 pushed AMD back.

I really wish there is a third company in the CPU & GPU field. Maybe Nvidia in CPU and Intel in GPU will really push the industry.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]I really wish there is a third company in the CPU & GPU field. Maybe Nvidia in CPU and Intel in GPU will really push the industry.[/citation]Don't count on it. As long as the world is stuck on Windows and limited to x86 there will be no more competitors than there is now. Anyone who has seen the Intel and AMD patent battles over the last two decades can attest to that.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Don't count on it. As long as the world is stuck on Windows and limited to x86 there will be no more competitors than there is now. Anyone who has seen the Intel and AMD patent battles over the last two decades can attest to that.[/citation]
Amen. The world is held back not by poor engineers or crappy software developers, but by licencing from extremely closed dinosaur companies like MS, Google, Apple, Intel and AMD (and pretty much any large corporation). Fortunately Intel and AMD have cross-licencing in one area, otherwise we'd be lucky if we even had x64 extensions of any kind mainstream by now.

Sharing of information advances technology. Hoarding it hurts the consumer.

jfem

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
amd will continue to increase their gains now that they released 555 and the others without a price increase compared to their predecessors, unless intel lowers the prices of their cpus.

dredtom_79

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
hmm.. intel is ravaging the mobile market, we need AMD to come up with some good performance/watt chips so i could get one.
meanwhile, ARM is comming!

axekick

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Being a wage slave without the need for a top of the line home PC I've long opted for AMD processors. We do all agree the competition is great for the consumer as well as the market.

And thinking back to my very first Pentium 133mhz home system that cost slightly under $3,000, I am not complaining with either manufacturer.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
It seems I could sumerise the sentiments of everyone on the board by saying, we love AMD, but, man, when are they going to make a competitive high end CPU again?

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Steal? I didn't know the entire market belonged rightfully to Intel. Well then, shame on AMD and VIA for their theiving ways!

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Amen. The world is held back not by poor engineers or crappy software developers, but by licencing from extremely closed dinosaur companies like MS, Google, Apple, Intel and AMD (and pretty much any large corporation). Fortunately Intel and AMD have cross-licencing in one area, otherwise we'd be lucky if we even had x64 extensions of any kind mainstream by now.Sharing of information advances technology. Hoarding it hurts the consumer.[/citation]

Might I remind you that there were chips based on much better systems than x86, like RISC chips and the Intel chip Itanium. No one bought them because there's too many systems working on x86. Same reason why we're stuck still programming in Cobol.

Unless the current system colapse, we will not see a new processor instruction set. Also remember that Windows used to be developped for RISC computers (the servers) and MS stopped the development because of low adoption.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Yes, another thing that people aren't realizing though is that this (and those great numbers for Win7 sales) is because Win7 is a decent OS and people held off buying a crappy Vista loaded PC to wait for Win7. Hence a soar in sales of PCs and Win7.

Need a new market analyst? Shoot me an email :D

klarkmdb

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
They just have to compete and to compete means to innovate. As long as the big dog doesn't intentionally bite (being anti-competitive) the small one then that's a good competition.

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Most people purchase mainstream computers instead of high-end. And, during the last 3 months of last year (prior to Intel's release of I3/lower end I5), builders knew that LGA 775 (Intel's competition versus AMD in the low-end and mainstream markets) was a dead cpu socket.

Many OEM's (HP, Dell, etc.) even began offering more AMD cpus since they could more easily by hardware on a mass scale for them. (Fake example: HP Presario d7000... buy one AM3 socket motherboard and offer several cpus for it. With Intel, they would have to have 3 different motherboards... 1 LGA 775, 1 LGA 1156, and 1 for the i7 920.)

Whether 1 company's products are better in the low-end and mainstream markets didn't matter for this. Intel's LGA 775 end-of-life and change to LGA 1156 caused this. Now, if this continues, well... we will see.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
And this is why I always try to suggest goingt for AMD. Not because Intel is bad (quite the opposite) but because AMD really could use some help.

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008

My first system was a Pentium 1 166mhz when the top of the line was a 200mhz (pre-MMX) for about $2.2k. I must wholeheartedly agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.