CNR Slot

OK, I'm an idiot, and everyone I know are idiots but would someone please explain to me what the hell a CNR slot is for I'm guessing that if I don't already know then I don't need it but I would still like to know

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up...
4 answers Last reply
More about slot
  1. Communication and Networking Riser.

"Communication and Networking Riser (CNR), which was developed by Intel, is an open industry standard for a scalable riser card, which is a hardware device that plugs into a motherboard and holds chips for functions like modems and audio devices. The CNR architecture, and electrical, mechanical, and thermal requirements of the riser interface are defined in the specification.
    The specification was developed for products used to implement low-cost local area network (LAN), modem, and audio subsystems and supports broadband, multichannel audio, V.90 analog modem, Home PNA, and Ethernet-based networking, and can be expanded upon to meet the requirements of developing technologies, such as DSL. In addition to cost benefits, CNR has the capacity to minimize electrical noise interference, through physical separation of noise-sensitive elements from the motherboard's own communication systems."

No one I know of uses this or recommends using it.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>
  2. Wtf is the point of all these competing standards? ACR, AMR, CNR... nobody uses them anyways! I've seen ONE device (sound card and ethernet all in one) for ACR, and that's it. My friend has an Asus CUSL-2, which is supposed to be an overclocker / enthusiast board, and it comes with two ACR slots (I think). I'm glad Abit put an ISA slot instead of an ACR slot on my KT7A-RAID, because ISA is useful for... uh... stuff... you know. Like ISA modems. It's more useful than CNR or whatever since people actually HAVE ISA devices. Arrgh. Sometimes these manufacturers can be so stupid, I just want to scream.

Okay, I'm done (for now).

Kidane

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder
  3. You have to appreciate the requirements of all sorts of users when designing a mobo.

What has become normal or even slow spec for a lot of us on here, is screaming fast compared to the average business computer. The type of systems we run would put some small business servers to shame.

Computers in business are run until they die usually. ISA stuff is still fairly common in thses systems, as the techs have budgets to work to. Bosses don't want to get a PCI modem to replace the ISA one which will give the same performance. Keep the old one, thus keep the old mobo. If the mobo blows, they want to be able to replace it, without replacing anything else.

As to the AMR stuff, I think it just didn't get off the ground, cause again it was no real improvement over ISA/PCI. Instead, focus is shifting to onboard 10/100, modems, sound etc.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>
  4. I just got an Asus A7N266-C nForce 415-D mobo with the sound output on an ACR card. The ACR slot is situated mere millimeters too close to the edge of the mobo to allow the card to fit. All the PCI cards fit, but the ACR card catches on the plate of the case. Until I modify the case to allow it to fit, I'm using a PCI sound card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards