THXCorporate

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2002
I’ve got problem with my new MB – KOB 735FSX. My conf.: MB KOB735FSX bough as ECS K7S5A, 128MB/133 Mercury SDRAM, AMD Duron 1Ghz, cooler ND12 (my HW vendor says – up to 1,8Ghz), ManLi GF2MX400/64 TV, ATX 250W power supply (Skyhawk). After some time of work system locks up, mainly after playing games or winamp with AVS (CPU extensive). The CPU temp. is up to 45C, at 45C it usually locks up. It is possible to get higher temp – e.g. 49C – by running tests in Sandra several times, but afterwards I just move some windows and system locks up. Before I had Voodoo3 2000/pci, system behaved the same, but at 55C. My HW vendor says, that the warmer CPU is, the bigger power consumption it has and that my ATX Skyhawk 250W source breaks down then, he suggested buying new case (300W), but I don’t know…. It may seem true, because voodoo3 surely had lower consumption than GF, therefore system could run at 55C (59C with Sandra tests, but then locked up). Generally my system seems like overclocked, but it isn’t. Now I run with opened case, because if the case is closed, the system uses to lock up even if I do nothing, the case is pretty warm.
…I’m not from an English speaking country, so excuse me…

I would be glad if you could help me.

THX@kiwwi.sk

dhlucke

Polypheme
That power supply is too weak. You need a quality 300W powersupply or better. I personally recommend 350W+.

Your temps are fine, although you should make sure you have a well ventilated case. For the best airflow you should have a 80mm fan in the front/bottom, blowing air in, and back/top, blowing air out.

Another thing I'm not familiar with is your brand of memory. Generally, generic memory can be a problem so if the problems still persist after getting a new powersupply you might want to get better memory.

You most likely will be fine once you get a new powersupply though.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

orden

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2002
and on top of that, you may want to get a coolermaster heatsink. I have the two fans front/back he mentions, and that heatsink, and with a 1700xp chip have never gone higher then 39C. AMD indicates you MUST have at least a 300w PSU for an athlon chip, but if you have to go by another one, then just get a 350w (it is more recommended). Your lockups are totally indicative of a heat and/or psu problem.