Windows Messenger conflicts with MSN messenger

I have MSN Messenger on my computer and use that for my primary means of im.
However every now and then windows messengers will log on and prevent msn
from automatically logging on. Can you disable the windows messenger and only
use msn?
6 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger conflicts messenger

    Greetings Mark,

    Assuming you don't mind losing Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing
    capabilities, you can actually completely remove Windows Messenger.

    To do so, click the Start button, then click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    Then click OK.
    Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert
    All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay

    "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have MSN Messenger on my computer and use that for my primary means of im.
    > However every now and then windows messengers will log on and prevent msn
    > from automatically logging on. Can you disable the windows messenger and only
    > use msn?

    Is there a way to disable without removing? I don't currently use whiteboard
    or application sharing but might in the future.
    or at least a way to stop it from loading.
    Thanks,
    Mark

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Mark,
    >
    > Assuming you don't mind losing Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing
    > capabilities, you can actually completely remove Windows Messenger.
    >
    > To do so, click the Start button, then click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
    > RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
    >
    > Then click OK.
    > Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    > All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay
    >

    > "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have MSN Messenger on my computer and use that for my primary means of im.
    > > However every now and then windows messengers will log on and prevent msn
    > > from automatically logging on. Can you disable the windows messenger and only
    > > use msn?

    Hello

    I had this problem too. On my firewall, I prevented windows messenger
    from accessing the internet at all and my problem was solved.

    Hope that helps

    --
    ruth

    My issue is that I travel to so many different networks with my job I can't
    simply block it in the firewall. I ended up disabling the built in firewall
    with sp2 because of conflicts with real hardware firewalls at a couple of my
    client sites.
    Any other ideas?

    Mark

    "ruth" wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I had this problem too. On my firewall, I prevented windows messenger
    > from accessing the internet at all and my problem was solved.
    >
    > Hope that helps
    >

    > --
    > ruth

    Couldn't you simply "deny access" to it in "Set Program Access and Defaults"?

    "Mark" wrote:

    > My issue is that I travel to so many different networks with my job I can't
    > simply block it in the firewall. I ended up disabling the built in firewall
    > with sp2 because of conflicts with real hardware firewalls at a couple of my
    > client sites.
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "ruth" wrote:
    >

    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I had this problem too. On my firewall, I prevented windows messenger
    > > from accessing the internet at all and my problem was solved.
    > >
    > > Hope that helps
    > >

    > > --
    > > ruth

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Yes that might solve the messenger issue, but byu turning on the firewall it
    would cause many other issues.
    Any other ideas?

    Mark

    "SurfCook1" wrote:

    > Couldn't you simply "deny access" to it in "Set Program Access and Defaults"?
    >
    > "Mark" wrote:
    >
    > > My issue is that I travel to so many different networks with my job I can't
    > > simply block it in the firewall. I ended up disabling the built in firewall
    > > with sp2 because of conflicts with real hardware firewalls at a couple of my
    > > client sites.
    > > Any other ideas?
    > >
    > > Mark
    > >

    > > "ruth" wrote:
    > >

    > > > Hello
    > > >
    > > > I had this problem too. On my firewall, I prevented windows messenger
    > > > from accessing the internet at all and my problem was solved.
    > > >
    > > > Hope that helps
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > ruth

MSN Messenger MSN Messenger Windows XP