What the ...is going on?

Last 3 nights I haven't been using my MSN messenger but my friends say
they see me logging on every 15 minutes and logging off after 1 mintue
so I tried logging on MSN and it said I was logged at another
location.Does this mean someones using my account?? Seems strange that
the logins are every 15 minutes all through the day and night and logs
off 1 mintue after the login.

Any ideas or explanations welcomed.

Thanks!

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Last 3 nights I haven't been using my MSN messenger but my
> friends say
> they see me logging on every 15 minutes and logging off after
> 1 mintue
> so I tried logging on MSN and it said I was logged at another
> location.Does this mean someones using my account?? Seems
> strange that
> the logins are every 15 minutes all through the day and night
> and logs
> off 1 mintue after the login.
>
> Any ideas or explanations welcomed.
>
> Thanks!

change your password.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-default-ftopict553994.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1759760

xxxx@xxxx.com wrote:
> Last 3 nights I haven't been using my MSN messenger but my friends say
> they see me logging on every 15 minutes and logging off after 1 mintue
> so I tried logging on MSN and it said I was logged at another
> location.Does this mean someones using my account?? Seems strange that
> the logins are every 15 minutes all through the day and night and logs
> off 1 mintue after the login.
>
> Any ideas or explanations welcomed.
>
> Thanks!

I had something similar going on, it was reported I had been on line all
night and I got the same "you have been signed out..." message when I logged
on using MSN Messeger 7. I initially got paranoid too and changed my
password. It seems it isn't someone else using my account though.

For me it started after I started using Outlook 2003 (I had been using
Outlook Express exclusively which I am still using for newsgroups like this
one). In Outlook, I had unchecked both checkmarks on the
Tools->Options->Other tab in the Person Names section and yet something kept
logging on behind my back. Contacts could message me while Messenger 4.7 was
active but invisible and if they did the Messange 4.7 chat window would
popup.

It even happened that I was chatting away using MSN Messenger 7 doing
nothing else and I would be bluntly logged off because someone else
supposedly logged on.

I deinstalled Messenger 4.7 through Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs,
Add/Remove Windows Components. Then it still occured. I rebooten the machine
earlier today and... so far, so good. I deliberately goofed around with both
Outlook Express and Outlook 2003, starting them up with MSN Messenger
closed, then restarting MSN Messgenger) and it seems to be "fixed" now. It
in't fixed of course, I just found some way to get rid of the annoyance,
reportedly having lost functionality in the process.

The 15 minutes you mention suggest it may be related to your e-mail program
periodically checking for new mail. A Hotmail account may be included in the
list of account that are checked. You could try to disable automatic new
mail checking and see if that is indeed the source.

Martin.