What's your CPU and videocard?

Last response: in Video Games
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2005 10:17:18 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

More about : cpu videocard

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 12:08:45 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

Misereably low, lagging and far behind are my P4 2.6ghz-c-ht chip
and ancient Chaintech Ti 4600 vid card... I am playing Doom 3 on
this system just fine, with lower settings in the game. It is an "ok"
card for all quake III based games. The Doom 3 game is on the
Doom 3 game engine, which would be the same idea as a Quake 4
engine, from the same maker. More advanced and requires a current
technology card for decent game play. I will get there.

Alex
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 1:14:00 AM

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

CPU...Pentium 4 Northwood C 2.8GHz (2 years old next month)

Video Card...built-by-ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (25 months old)

It's still holding up fairly well, but I attribute that to the fact that the
system was high-end when I bought it. The recent F.E.A.R. demo does
challenge the video card to some degree, but I'm still able to run it well
enough in 1024x768 with Medium details overall. I'm also happy with what
ATI has done to improve performance on my older video card with the more
recent driver updates. Not looking to make major changes until Q1 or Q2 of
next year.
Related resources
August 29, 2005 1:37:12 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

AMD 64 3500+ and GeForce 6800 256mb.

turk
--
My last vestige of "hands off religion" respect disappeared in the smoke and
choking dust of September 11th 2001, followed by the "National Day of

Archived from groups: (More info?)

P4 @3.2Ghz Radeon XL800

Champion wrote:
> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 5:57:43 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

P4 3.2ghz
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 6:22:44 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Why do you ask ???

P4 3.2 ghz ....Radeon 9800 pro..........

Luv mouse
@@@@
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 6:37:43 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

AMD A64 X2 4800+ and 6800GT
McG.
"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 7:11:05 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

What is going on in this thread ????....is it a plot to drive me 'ead mad
...or something else?..

confused mouse
@@@@@@
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 7:35:51 AM

oldwolf wrote:
> AMD XP3200+ with GF6600GT & 1Gb ram

How's that working out for you? What resolution do you usually play
at? Do you get to turn on all details at maximum setting? What
graphic intensive games have you played?

I'm asking because I have an Athlon XP2400. I'm about to up the RAM to
1 gig and buy a GF6600GT. I'm happy at 1024X768 or 1280X1024
resolution.
August 29, 2005 7:39:37 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

AthlonXP3200+ (Barton) and Powercolor RadeOn 9600 Pro

I don't play FPS (unless you count KoToR), but when I want a bit of
mindless violence it still runs Far Cry at a reasonable pace. Dungeon
Siege II is just about smooth enough.

Interesting time for this thread - my fiancée's PC is dying so I get
to upgrade - I'm off looking for a new mobo and CPU today.

CC
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 9:22:24 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On 28 Aug 2005 18:17:18 -0700, "Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

That depends which computer I happen to be in front of at the time.

My "high-end" machine (not so high-end anymore, but its two years old
and still quite capable) is an AMD AthlonXP "Barton" 3000 with a BFG
GeForce 6800GT/128. Its 1GB RAM means it can still keep up with all
the newest games for a while.

Then there's the older AMD Athlon 900, with 512MB RAM and a GF5900XT.
Surprisingly, its still pretty good at everything released up to the
end of 2003 (and even some 2004/5 games if I crank down the details).

If I feel like an adventure game, I might just turn on the Intel
P2-400 MHz/384MB with my old GF4 (one of the TIs, I forget the exact
model number and I'm too lazy to check). Its still running Win98SE so
I can play Year 2000-era games with no headaches.

Similarly, while I am increasingly impressed with DOSBox, sometimes I
want the full-speed and functionality of a real DOS platform; that's
where the 486/66 comes in. I have no idea as to its videocard (but it
is VESA2 compatible, ooooh :) . With 16MB of RAM, you know this is
where you go for all those great games of 1995 :)

And yes, I do jump between the machines all the time to play different
games. Although it is not so much "jump" as "turn the chair slightly
to the left or right" :) . And no, that's not all I got in my little
herd of computers (although the others don't really do gaming :)
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 10:57:32 AM

> AMD A64 X2 4800+ and 6800GT
> McG.
> "Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

That is just wrong. If just damn wrong.
I WANT ONE OF THOSE!

--
------
Dr. Dickie

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

P4: 2.8 GHz, 1.5 G ram, Radeon 98000 PRO

Course, after reading this thread, I have to figure a way to get my wife to
let me up-grade ;-)

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Dual Core Pentium4 3.0 Ghz
ATI 600x 256 mb Pci-E
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 12:35:57 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

P4 3.0 Ghz; 6600 GT.

Runs most things at 1280x1024 on high settings with good framerates.

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

XP1800 and ti4200
August 29, 2005 1:56:20 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

AMD XP 2600 and an ATI AIW 9800 Pro (512 MB system RAM and an Audigy 2 ZS to
boot, too).

I'm currently replaying Doom 3 at 800 x 600, Medium Quality and 2X AA. I
previously played both D3 and RoE at 1024 x 768, MQ & 2X AA, but the system
stuttered a little in intense firefights and outdoor settings. 800 x 600
isn't really bothering me with D3 since most of my components are long in
the tooth and I can run all other games at 1024 x 768 maxed out. I played
both Riddick and Thief: DS at 800 x 600 with a GF4 Ti4600, so I'm
comfortable with that resolution anyway (plus my monitor is at eye level and
about three feet away).

I'm considering replacing the 9800 Pro with a vanilla Nvidia 128MB 6800 AGP.
However, my mobo is maxed out with the current processor and the AGP slot is
only 4X. So for about twice the price, I may do the mobo, CPU and RAM
upgrade song and dance soon and move on to a PCIe system. I can get a
temporary PCIe ATI 256MB X700 as a loaner from a buddy until I can afford a
beefier video card. I'm currently eyeing an Epox EP-9NPAJ, an AMD 64 3000
Venice Core, and a gig of Cosair ValueRAM.

Sorry to convey my life story here, but I'm throwing it out there to see if
anyone else has recently been between the proverbial rock-and-a-hard-place,
AGP vs. PCIe upgrade decision. If so, did you stick with AGP or make the
jump to PCIe, and do you think it was money well spent/saved?
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 2:03:47 PM

"AAvK" <ahem@notquite.net> wrote in message

>> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?
>>

> Misereably low, lagging and far behind are my P4 2.6ghz-c-ht chip
> and ancient Chaintech Ti 4600 vid card... I am playing Doom 3 on
> this system just fine, with lower settings in the game. It is an "ok"
> card for all quake III based games. The Doom 3 game is on the
> Doom 3 game engine, which would be the same idea as a Quake 4
> engine, from the same maker. More advanced and requires a current
> technology card for decent game play. I will get there.
>
> Alex

i wouldn't say the ti4600 or your P4 are 'miserably low' at anything Alex.
the 4600 is simply DX8, and still does surprisingly good with these later
games. I've got one running right now with a P4 3.0E as both my DX9 cards
are down. fx5900 works fine but needs a new fan kit, 9800 Pro simply flakes
out now in either mobo no matter what driver set I use. Sigh. The Ti4600
and the TNT2 ultra are still holding their own! :)  Great old cards :)
McG.
August 29, 2005 3:07:17 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On 28 Aug 2005 18:17:18 -0700, "Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote:

>|What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

P4 3.2E 800FSB / Zalman C7000A HS / Asus P4C800-E Deluxe / 2GB (2-3-3-6) Corsair
XMS DDR PC3200 / Xtasy X800 PRO @ 499.5/499.5 / Arctic Cooler v4 / CAT 5.7 /
WD1600JB 160GB / Maxtor SATA 300G 16MB cache / Lite-On DVDRW LDW-851S / SB
Audigy 2 ZS / ViewSonic G220fb / Logitech MX510 mouse / Saitek Gamer's Keyboard

Pluvious
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 3:13:25 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1125278238.590588.71030
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

Intel 8080 2MHz

What's a videocard?
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 3:46:59 PM

"Sketch" <nah@no.nut> wrote in message news:D ev7mj$jm3$1@news.tamu.edu...

> Sorry to convey my life story here, but I'm throwing it out there to see
> if anyone else has recently been between the proverbial
> rock-and-a-hard-place, AGP vs. PCIe upgrade decision. If so, did you stick
> with AGP or make the jump to PCIe, and do you think it was money well
> spent/saved?

With my gaming rig being two years old now, I have AGP as well, and
considered changing my video card a few months back. I considered going
with something like an X800XL to give my computer a kick and some extended
life. But after doing some research, I found that my 2.8GHz P4 would not
allow me to see such a video card to it's full potential.

I came to the decision to hang onto the $400 (Canadian) that it would have
cost me to buy an X800XL a couple of months ago, and have put that money
towards a new computer fund instead. And while I have the money to buy
whatever video card I want right this minute if I wanted to, I decided not
to re-invest in AGP. Instead, I'll build something all new next year -
likely a whole new computer from the ground up unless I decide to bring over
my old hard drives and maybe my 16x dual layer DVD burner to shave off some
money from the cost.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 4:14:26 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Quoth The Raven: Champion <chromallly@yahoo.com> in
1125278238.590588.71030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com
> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

AMD64-3000 (OC'd x600mhz) and 9800XT (OC'd x1.5%)

--
More people are killed annually by donkeys than in airplane crashes.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 4:43:11 PM

"Cutting Edge" <cutting@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> "Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1125278238.590588.71030
> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>
> > What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?
> >

> Intel 8080 2MHz
>
> What's a videocard?

You need to get that new, hot
--
------
Dr. Dickie
"Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream."
-- Wallace Stevens 32 Baud modem dude (gotta stay cutting edge!).

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 4:56:46 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Cutting Edge" <cutting@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> "Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1125278238.590588.71030
> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>
> > What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?
> >

> Intel 8080 2MHz
>
> What's a videocard?

You need to get one of those new, hot 32 Baud modems (to stay cutting edge)!

--
------
Dr. Dickie
"Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream."
-- Wallace Stevens
August 29, 2005 5:14:33 PM

"Dr. Dickie" <Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> wrote in message

> "Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?
>>

> P4: 2.8 GHz, 1.5 G ram, Radeon 98000 PRO
>
> Course, after reading this thread, I have to figure a way to get my wife
> let me up-grade ;-)

Very similar - 1.5GB PC3200, Sapphire 9800Pro but Barton XP2800. I'm soon
putting in a 6800GT or a XL800 (AGP) to keep it going (simply because I've
upped the rez with a new 21" screen) -mid next year I'll build me a new one.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 5:14:34 PM

> "Dr. Dickie" <Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?
> >>

> > P4: 2.8 GHz, 1.5 G ram, Radeon 98000 PRO
> >
> > Course, after reading this thread, I have to figure a way to get my wife
> > let me up-grade ;-)
>
> Very similar - 1.5GB PC3200, Sapphire 9800Pro but Barton XP2800. I'm soon
> putting in a 6800GT or a XL800 (AGP) to keep it going (simply because I've
> upped the rez with a new 21" screen) -mid next year I'll build me a new
one.

Problem is, I've yet to find anything that my rig can't run ;-0

--
------
Dr. Dickie
"Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream."
-- Wallace Stevens
August 29, 2005 5:39:12 PM

wrote:

>What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

XP2500+, 128MB 6600GT, 1.5GB PC3200 RAM.
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 6:08:29 PM

Champion schreef op 29-8-2005 :
> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

P4-640 3.2GHz / ATI 850 pro (PCIe)
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 8:14:01 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

S754 Clawhammer AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.35Ghz
Leadtek A400GT (6800GT) only gets to 384Mhz Core and 1.2Gz Ram
2x512Mb Corsair 3500 at 200Mhz, timings 2-2-2-10 (nf3 250Gb mobo)
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=19150
--
Les
Anonymous

>> AMD A64 X2 4800+ and 6800GT
>> McG.
>> "Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?
>> >

> That is just wrong. If just damn wrong.
> I WANT ONE OF THOSE!

I did too... real bad. I really used to want just an A64 3800+ until they
came out with the X2's and Toms Hardware ran a stress test against the X2
4800+ and Intel 840EE, and the X2 whacked the 840EE by a bunch running Far
Cry AND used 30% less power, generating 30% less heat. Nice! I got to
wanting one so bad it itched. Then it burned.... a hole right in my wallet!
Quite a few of the Gigabyte s939 mobos support the dual core X2's with just
a BIOS update. Flashed mine FROM the BIOS (built in) from a floppy. I've
never seen XP Pro boot so fast either.
I've already tried Far Cry 64 bit while trying out XP Pro x64... WOW!!!
McG.

> --
> ------
> Dr. Dickie
> "Let be be finale of seem.
> The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream."
> -- Wallace Stevens

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 9:03:28 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> "Dr. Dickie" <Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?
>>>

>> P4: 2.8 GHz, 1.5 G ram, Radeon 98000 PRO
>>
>> Course, after reading this thread, I have to figure a way to get my wife
>> let me up-grade ;-)
>
> Very similar - 1.5GB PC3200, Sapphire 9800Pro but Barton XP2800. I'm soon
> putting in a 6800GT or a XL800 (AGP) to keep it going (simply because I've
> upped the rez with a new 21" screen) -mid next year I'll build me a new
> one.

I *think* the 6800GT is closer in speed to x850XT?
McG.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 9:24:29 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Sketch" <nah@no.nut> wrote in message news:D ev7mj$jm3$1@news.tamu.edu...
> AMD XP 2600 and an ATI AIW 9800 Pro (512 MB system RAM and an Audigy 2 ZS
> to boot, too).
>
> I'm currently replaying Doom 3 at 800 x 600, Medium Quality and 2X AA. I
> previously played both D3 and RoE at 1024 x 768, MQ & 2X AA, but the
> system stuttered a little in intense firefights and outdoor settings. 800
> x 600 isn't really bothering me with D3 since most of my components are
> long in the tooth and I can run all other games at 1024 x 768 maxed out. I
> played both Riddick and Thief: DS at 800 x 600 with a GF4 Ti4600, so I'm
> comfortable with that resolution anyway (plus my monitor is at eye level
> and about three feet away).
>
> I'm considering replacing the 9800 Pro with a vanilla Nvidia 128MB 6800
> AGP. However, my mobo is maxed out with the current processor and the AGP
> slot is only 4X. So for about twice the price, I may do the mobo, CPU and
> RAM upgrade song and dance soon and move on to a PCIe system. I can get a
> temporary PCIe ATI 256MB X700 as a loaner from a buddy until I can afford
> a beefier video card. I'm currently eyeing an Epox EP-9NPAJ, an AMD 64
> 3000 Venice Core, and a gig of Cosair ValueRAM.
>
> Sorry to convey my life story here, but I'm throwing it out there to see
> if anyone else has recently been between the proverbial
> rock-and-a-hard-place, AGP vs. PCIe upgrade decision. If so, did you stick
> with AGP or make the jump to PCIe, and do you think it was money well
> spent/saved?

yeah, me, on the AGP vs PCI-e quandry.

I was already running a P4 3.0E Prescott 1m L2 800fsb fx478 on GA 8IPE1000-G
with 4x 512m PC3200 in dual channel with a 6800GT. The most money I'd
spent at one time on that rig was $400 for the 6800GT. That card I'd just
bought in May. So, I'd ended up with quite a bit more stuck back in
savings than i'd realized by last weekend. I'd been reading a lot about the
dual core offerings by both AMD and Intel. I was drooling over the details
of the X2 4800+ by the time I'd decided to build another rig. So I talked
it over with the guy I buy lots of parts from. He really liked the idea of
the X2 and the 6800GT AGP. That you can use the X2 in most of the s939
boards was a big help. I picked the GA K8NS Ultra 939 with nForce3Ultra
chipset. I got the mainboard in WITH the X2 4800+ installed with a Gigabyte
heatsink and fan. Doing it this way I saved myself the cost of buying a new
PCI-e video card, which would have been a 7800GT I think. No sense having
two 6800GT's when the 7800's are out :)
After seeing a little of what this X2/6800GT combo can do, I do think my
other rig was CPU bound in most of the games. Though, I have yet to install
Doom3 on this new rig, or HL2 or IL2+Aces+PF. I installed Far Cry (32
bit) first on this fresh XP Pro install. installed all the patches thru
1.33 and in 1024x768-32 bit with absolutely everything cranked up to max, it
is so smooth it hurts!!! No lag, no sluggishness anywhere at all. Now to
bump the res up to my monitors max, 1280x1024 and see what happens :)  Gotta
turn on frame rates too.
Um, see, all this does is allow me some time with the 6800GT until I get
some sort of PCI-e mobo and vid card. I can't see where the AGP is
suffering any at all right now.
McG.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 9:28:09 PM

On 28 Aug 2005 18:17:18 -0700, Champion wrote:

> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

P4 3.0Ghz HT, x700 Pro/256 MB.

Considering that all I have been playing lately is Chessmaster 10, HoMM3
and various rogue-likes, I'd do just fine with a smaller machine, but then
again, I'm always hoping for a worthwhile release that "grabs" me. Perhaps
HoMM5 in a few months. :)

M.
August 29, 2005 10:04:29 PM

> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dr. Dickie" <Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >>

>> > P4: 2.8 GHz, 1.5 G ram, Radeon 98000 PRO
>> >
>> > Course, after reading this thread, I have to figure a way to get my
>> > wife
>> > let me up-grade ;-)
>>
>> Very similar - 1.5GB PC3200, Sapphire 9800Pro but Barton XP2800. I'm
>> soon
>> putting in a 6800GT or a XL800 (AGP) to keep it going (simply because
>> I've
>> upped the rez with a new 21" screen) -mid next year I'll build me a new
> one.
>>

> Problem is, I've yet to find anything that my rig can't run ;-0

I'm in the same position at 1024x768 but at 1280x1024 (or higher - for eg
have been trying the HL2 high rez skins at 1600x1200) I do encounter some
occasional slow downs or have to lose some eye candy - hence the interim
graphics upgrade. Plus I'm guessing FEAR will challenge the 9800Pro on the
higher rez's. Otherwise - yes you will have problems trying to talk the
wife round - these rigs are good for a while yet...
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 10:04:30 PM

> I'm in the same position at 1024x768 but at 1280x1024 (or higher - for eg
> have been trying the HL2 high rez skins at 1600x1200) I do encounter some
> occasional slow downs or have to lose some eye candy - hence the interim
> graphics upgrade. Plus I'm guessing FEAR will challenge the 9800Pro on
> the higher rez's. Otherwise - yes you will have problems trying to talk
> the wife round - these rigs are good for a while yet...

I've tried the F.E.A.R. demo on my 9800 Pro and was able to get 1024x768
running in medium details overall in maintaining a frame rate good enough to
play. I found that setting the game to use DX8 shaders (rather than DX9)
and changing the texture filtering to bilinear helped quite a bit (as to be
expected). The only other past game I've come across that I felt challenged
my video card was The Battle For Middle-Earth when a large skirmish battle
was happening, but the game has since been patched a couple of times and the
newer drivers from ATI have helped out with frame rates as well. Still, I
think the 9800 Pro will go for another 9 to 12 months at most as a "good
enough" gaming card, especially with a lot of these new games coming out.
But that's not bad considering that the 9800 Pro will be three years old in
the spring of 2006.

Luckily, I don't demand a lot in the way of visual quality, so I'm staying
pat with what I have for now. But I look forward to building a new computer
next year, and by then, the performance gap between what I have now and what
I will build should be very nice considering my rig will be three years old
next summer.
August 29, 2005 10:13:29 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Sketch" <nah@no.nut> wrote in message news:D ev7mj$jm3$1@news.tamu.edu...
> AMD XP 2600 and an ATI AIW 9800 Pro (512 MB system RAM and an Audigy 2 ZS
> to boot, too).
>
> I'm currently replaying Doom 3 at 800 x 600, Medium Quality and 2X AA. I
> previously played both D3 and RoE at 1024 x 768, MQ & 2X AA, but the
> system stuttered a little in intense firefights and outdoor settings. 800
> x 600 isn't really bothering me with D3 since most of my components are
> long in the tooth and I can run all other games at 1024 x 768 maxed out. I
> played both Riddick and Thief: DS at 800 x 600 with a GF4 Ti4600, so I'm
> comfortable with that resolution anyway (plus my monitor is at eye level
> and about three feet away).
>
> I'm considering replacing the 9800 Pro with a vanilla Nvidia 128MB 6800
> AGP. However, my mobo is maxed out with the current processor and the AGP
> slot is only 4X. So for about twice the price, I may do the mobo, CPU and
> RAM upgrade song and dance soon and move on to a PCIe system. I can get a
> temporary PCIe ATI 256MB X700 as a loaner from a buddy until I can afford
> a beefier video card. I'm currently eyeing an Epox EP-9NPAJ, an AMD 64
> 3000 Venice Core, and a gig of Cosair ValueRAM.
>
> Sorry to convey my life story here, but I'm throwing it out there to see
> if anyone else has recently been between the proverbial
> rock-and-a-hard-place, AGP vs. PCIe upgrade decision. If so, did you stick
> with AGP or make the jump to PCIe, and do you think it was money well
> spent/saved?

IMHO the cheapest upgrade for you that will show immediate benefit would be
extra RAM. Have 1.5GB of PC3200 in this rig (Barton XP2800 and a 9800Pro in
an NF7-S) and no stutters at 1024x768 on D3, HL2, Far Cry, Riddick or any
others. D3 was on high quality with 2AA (but anistropy tweaked from 8 down
to 2 in the config file). Then, like me, you can build yourself a new rig
next year after all the new tech has settled down (and fallen in price).

NB - I'm also considering an interim graphics card upgrade but that it
because I now have a 21" screen and want to play games at a rez of at least
1280x1024.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 10:22:34 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

P4 3.0 OC'd @3.4 Radeon 9800 Pro
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2005 11:16:12 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

AMD XP3200+ with GF6600GT & 1Gb ram
"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2005 12:53:55 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Quoth The Raven: McGrandpa <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> in
XxuQe.202184$0f.46988@tornado.texas.rr.com
> AMD A64 X2 4800+ and 6800GT
> McG.
> "Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

now i know your not a liar, so that is an awesome rig man!

--
I like to torture my plants by watering them with ice cubes. - Steve
Wright

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2005 12:53:56 AM

"Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> Quoth The Raven: McGrandpa <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> in
> XxuQe.202184$0f.46988@tornado.texas.rr.com
>> AMD A64 X2 4800+ and 6800GT
>> McG.
>> "Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?
>
> now i know your not a liar, so that is an awesome rig man!

Thanks!
You oughtta see it :)  I've never been one for fancy cases, but I've learned
the hard way about the need for good airflow and positive ventillation, so I
was picky about the case this time. It's all black with a plexiglass window
in the access side, with a 3" fan in the middle. 4" fan up front pulling
air in, 4" fan in back getting rid of it. PS has 2 fans, CPU has a BROAD
heatsink and fan (Gigabyte no less!) and of course the 6800GT has its fan.
The side fan, CPU fan and front decorations have blue LED's, you can't miss
it when it's running :)  Oddly enough, the most noise from this rig is the
old Western Digital WD40 gig. It's quiet :)
The X2 4800+ was steep, but worth it I think.

I have to figure out how to get Steam/HL2 and all the other Steam games from
the old rig to this one. The LAN will go a lot faster than having Steam dl
everything from scratch.
McG.

> --
> I like to torture my plants by watering them with ice cubes. - Steve
> Wright
>
> Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

August 30, 2005 12:53:57 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> I have to figure out how to get Steam/HL2 and all the other Steam games
> from the old rig to this one. The LAN will go a lot faster than having
> Steam dl everything from scratch.
> McG.

Copy your complete "Valve" folder (contains "Steam" etc.) from the existing
drive to the destination drive. It will be several GB's (mine is currently
3.6 GB's).

Then, on your destination drive, delete the "ClientRegistry.blob" file, log
in to Steam, allow it to update the Steam client (five to ten minutes at
most, even on dial-up) and you're good to go.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2005 12:53:58 AM

"Sketch" <nah@no.nut> wrote in message news:D evfrp$qo7$1@news.tamu.edu...
>> I have to figure out how to get Steam/HL2 and all the other Steam games
>> from the old rig to this one. The LAN will go a lot faster than having
>> Steam dl everything from scratch.
>> McG.
>
> Copy your complete "Valve" folder (contains "Steam" etc.) from the
> existing drive to the destination drive. It will be several GB's (mine is
> currently 3.6 GB's).
>
> Then, on your destination drive, delete the "ClientRegistry.blob" file,
> log in to Steam, allow it to update the Steam client (five to ten minutes
> at most, even on dial-up) and you're good to go.

My Steam folder on the old rig is currently 11.8 gigs :\ Looks like
between 30 to 40 mins over the LAN. So all I have to actually *install* is
Steam? I put everything Steam related in C:\Games\Steam, btw.

1) copy everything over (doing now)
2) delete 'clientRegistry.blob' file
3) install and log into steam. Let it update.
Done

coolness!

McG.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2005 12:53:59 AM

> "Sketch" <nah@no.nut> wrote in message news:D evfrp$qo7$1@news.tamu.edu...
>>> I have to figure out how to get Steam/HL2 and all the other Steam games
>>> from the old rig to this one. The LAN will go a lot faster than having
>>> Steam dl everything from scratch.
>>> McG.
>>
>> Copy your complete "Valve" folder (contains "Steam" etc.) from the
>> existing drive to the destination drive. It will be several GB's (mine is
>> currently 3.6 GB's).
>>
>> Then, on your destination drive, delete the "ClientRegistry.blob" file,
>> log in to Steam, allow it to update the Steam client (five to ten minutes
>> at most, even on dial-up) and you're good to go.
>>

> My Steam folder on the old rig is currently 11.8 gigs :\ Looks like
> between 30 to 40 mins over the LAN. So all I have to actually *install*
> is Steam? I put everything Steam related in C:\Games\Steam, btw.
>
> 1) copy everything over (doing now)
> 2) delete 'clientRegistry.blob' file
> 3) install and log into steam. Let it update.
> Done
>
> coolness!
>
> McG.

Damn that was good! LOL! All I had to do was delete clientregistry.blob,
run the Steam.exe in my \Games\Steam folder, let it update Steam, log in,
and it's done :)

Now to see if it still WORKS!

McG.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2005 1:03:58 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I usually run @ 1280x1024 with settings at medium to high depending on game.
I run Doom3, Far Cry, Unreal 2, RTCW, Unreal Tournament, amongst others. I
rarely have to turn anything down.
Just at the moment everything crashes on me just at the most inconvenient
time, but I am in the middle of a full clean reinstall on a 160gb WD with
8mb buffer, so Ill see if the new drive helps out in speed.

oldwolf

oldwolf wrote:
> AMD XP3200+ with GF6600GT & 1Gb ram

How's that working out for you? What resolution do you usually play
at? Do you get to turn on all details at maximum setting? What
graphic intensive games have you played?

I'm asking because I have an Athlon XP2400. I'm about to up the RAM to
1 gig and buy a GF6600GT. I'm happy at 1024X768 or 1280X1024
resolution.
August 30, 2005 2:57:09 AM

wrote:

>What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

AMD 2100+ o/c to 2700+ speeds and a ATi 9700 Pro. Spring time will be
new system time...I try to make them last 3 years nowadays.

Silt
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2005 3:27:55 AM

Dr. Dickie wrote:
> "Shawk" wrote in message
>> "Dr. Dickie" wrote
>>> P4: 2.8 GHz, 1.5 G ram, Radeon 98000 PRO
>>>
>> Very similar - 1.5GB PC3200, Sapphire 9800Pro but Barton XP2800.
>>
> Problem is, I've yet to find anything that my rig can't run ;-0

Mine is similar also - XP3200, Saphire 9800PRO and 1G PC3200 RAM - and I've
have never been able to run a game confortably with one notable (and
puzzling) exception: the Silent Storm game, of all things.

Not matter what I tried (and lord knows I tried) it would run like molasses
on my system, could never figure that one out.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2005 3:30:09 AM

BuckFush wrote:
> Mine is similar also - XP3200, Saphire 9800PRO and 1G PC3200 RAM -
> and I've have never been able to run a game confortably with one
> notable (and puzzling) exception: the Silent Storm game, of all
> things.

Doh, meant to say "I have never been UNable to run a game comfortably"
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2005 3:37:24 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

Representing the middle of the road here:
Pentium 4 2.26GHz with a GeForce 5900XT.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2005 6:56:44 AM

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> What's the CPU and videocard on your current gaming rig?

A64 3800+, Ati X850XT, 2GB 400 DDR
!