Windows Xp will not install on my PC?

G

Ok here is the story, I bought windows xp pro full version and I tried to upgrade my current system win 98se. After I install all the proper files and it reboots it goes to a black screen, and it will not return back to the setup. I tried everything, I even sat on the phone with windows tech for a few hours and they cannot figure it out. The one thing they did figure out is that my current motherboard (abit kt7a) I guess is not on the compatibility list for windows xp. My question is to you guys, what do you guys think of the Giga-Byte GA-7ZXE motherboard?

I tried to go to abits website to get updated drivers for windows xp but they do not have any. Do you guys think this would halt the install of XP on my machine?

Oh yeah here is my pc setup:

Win98se
Athlon 1.2 gig
512mb pc133 sdram
Jaton Geforce 2 64mb
10gig hdd (buying a new one tomorrow)
sb live
creative 52x cd drive
hp surestore 7200series cd burner
broadband (roadrunner)

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

orden

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2002
How are you doing the upgrade? Did you just pop it in with win98se already installed, and tried to upgrade? While that should work ok in theory, it didn't for me. I recommend doing a complete reformat of your HD, then install it. If you have the xp upgrade, it will just ask you to pop in your win98 cd for a sec before installing. If you did a clean format, and installed windows xp, then I don't know, but it sounds like a hardware or memory problem. I hear xp is much more finicky about memory (meaning get a name brand, like clarion or something). That's all I can think of :(

extremity

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2001
In most cases, XP will prefer to do a clean skin install.
it will also like to do the formatting of the primary (C:) partition.
The most important thing to remember, is to make sure your BIOS is the latest available and that you use the BIOS default settings on the WINXP install from your CD-ROM.

On the Edge of Extremity
Microsoft Registered OEM,DSP,MCP
Custom Building of PC`s.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I installed WinXP on my KT7a-RAID, so it's not the motherboard. Pull everything you don't need (sound card, NIC, etc) and see if it'll install.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft